VOGONS

First post, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

my purple win98se machine 1ghz 512mb ram lots of games.
pic0852d.jpg
pic0853g.jpg

my dual socket 370 board. the the heat sync came off in shipping, looks like AS5.
pic0854.jpg
pic0855.jpg

This is my dual p3 750mhz board with visiontek 128mb
pic0858.jpg
pic0856.jpg
pic0857.jpg

Reply 1 of 9, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice little variety you've got going there.

I'm curious, what do you have planned for those dually systems? I've got a dual Slot1 box around here, and I've been trying to figure out what to do with it. The dual CPUs kinda preclude the whole 'Win98 gaming box' route...

Reply 2 of 9, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

put xp on it maybe world of warcraft or doom3 and what not, thinking of jamming a slocket with 1.4 ghz cpu in there. i have a Pentium 1 asus mobo i pulled out of that dual p3 system before i put int the dual p3 mobo. i have 2 of those white cases nabed them for 20 bucks for the both the other one has slot 1 in it i plane to sell it as net surfer. then i have 1 mobo slot 1.

Reply 3 of 9, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm finding no reason to have anything "chronologically" between my 486 vlb/ia dos machine and athlon 2000 glide machine, so I'd be interested to know what you would want middle-aged machines like these for. What can they do that something older or younger can't? Reason I ask is I have socket 7 gear [k6/2, k6/2+, k6/3, k6/3+] that seems to be redundant - I'll either run linux on it or sell it I think. Have seen the debates elsewhere on the forum about the k6, but my question is wider than that - why have anything from Pentium 1 onwards up to just before an athlon board with a universal agp slot [for cheap voodoo agp] and the nmi enabled [for dos sound from an mx300]?.

Also I found dual proc a complete waste for games - of the older games only q3 could use it iirc, and some games seemed to break with it. That's under win2k, I didn't have xp at the time.

Reply 4 of 9, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it's cheap and i have bunch of it on hand a;ready. the dual slot 1 is more nostalgia i guess, since i grew up on a crumy underclocked p2. now i might replace the dual slot 1with dual 370 board, i want to try dual 1.4ghz T cpus.

Reply 5 of 9, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ratfink wrote:

Also I found dual proc a complete waste for games - of the older games only q3 could use it iirc, and some games seemed to break with it. That's under win2k, I didn't have xp at the time.

+1

Dual CPUs have no place for retro rigs unless your running a retro server. The extra cpu fan would just be making extra noise. 😜 Course we all wanted one back then just for fun...but essentially useless for gaming.

Reply 7 of 9, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well really it's gonna be an extra computer with xp, possibly wow and maybe halo just for the hell of it. since xp utilizes 2 cpus that's where i think it counts the second cpu can handle some of the crap load while the other handed stuff like wow or halo. for real old school gaming i have my purple box, if feel linuxy i have one dedicated to linux, if i feel like a Pentium 4 i also have a p4 system and several laptops and of course the one i'm using ATM my phenom 940 machine. Sooooo i guess i just building them and seeing how far i can max them out i guess. Is that wiiiieeerrd?

Reply 8 of 9, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

Sooooo i guess i just building them and seeing how far i can max them out i guess. Is that wiiiieeerrd?

Hope not cause I've done it before hehe. I like that case with the big blue button thingy. Didn't Alienware use that case in the late 90's?

Reply 9 of 9, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd guess not, i could be wrong PCA local shop said they sold them around here and that they bought them by them in 50 packs the the button is turnthed then pushed in to start the computer. I wasn't aware AlienWare existed in the 90's?