VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Urizen123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I recently discovered Dosbox has (not) implemented Glide support, and I was wondering whether anyone's had any luck running Carmageddon in DB using this patch, in conjunction with a wrapper like DgVoodoo?

Originally I used VDMSound to run Carmageddon 3dfx, but it appears that software is incompatible with W7/Vista.

Thanks!

Last edited by Urizen123 on 2009-08-08, 20:57. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox has not implemented glide support.

Gulikoza created a patch for DOSBox and compiled it into his own build of DOSBox and it's been available for quite some time. It's not new.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 18, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, Carmageddon should work with dgvoodoo. Just change the glide2x.dll that comes with my build with dgvoodoo. But leave the glide2x.ovl (dgvoodoo version won't work!).

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 3 of 18, by Urizen123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi gulikoza, thanks for your reply.

Ok, I've copied over your glide2x.ovl to my Dosbox 0.73 folder - however, I'm having a little difficulty with the following section;

"The second part is the DOSBox patch. The patch should be relatively easy to apply and compile, it only requires a few 3dfx headers (sdk2_*.h files) which are available in the OpenGlide cvs. You need to run autogen.sh before running configure."

This is a little confusing, and I'm not sure how to go about using the linked .diff file, could you possibly give me instructions?

Apologies for the noobiness! 😉

Reply 6 of 18, by Urizen123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lightmaster wrote:

Use gulikoza's build or ykhwong's ((:

Hi lightmaster,

I've downloaded ykhwong's latest 0.72 CVS build (05/19/2009) - however there doesn't appear to be a Glide option in the output settings. I take it there's an additional patch required?

Does anyone know where I can find a precompiled version of gulikoza's patched build?

Thanks guys!

Reply 8 of 18, by Urizen123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

clik my signature.

Ah... whoops!

Ok, I've installed your precompiled version, along with DgVoodoo (making sure to keep your Glide2x.ovl intact)

However, Dosbox doesn't seem to be communicating with DgVoodoo - I can run the 3dfx version, but it's incredibly slow. The DgVoodoo process is definitely running, but I get the same results in Dosbox whether it's running or not. Are there any additional settings in the Dosbox configuration file I need to enable?

Also, (I'm not sure if this is relevent) but I get a "Low memory version invoked" message when I start Carmageddon 3dfx.

Reply 9 of 18, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, if the 3dfx version works, then dosbox is "communicating" with dgvoodoo. There are no additional settings as dgvoodoo only works as a glide wrapper in this case. Carmageddon is quite a demanding game, but seems playable here (17-23 fps, Core i7 920) in 3dfx mode.

If you get low memory warning, then increase memsize 😁

Reply 10 of 18, by Urizen123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

Well, if the 3dfx version works, then dosbox is "communicating" with dgvoodoo. There are no additional settings as dgvoodoo only works as a glide wrapper in this case. Carmageddon is quite a demanding game, but seems playable here (17-23 fps, Core i7 920) in 3dfx mode.

If you get low memory warning, then increase memsize 😁

Right, so DgVoodoo.exe doesn't need to be active while running the game? Gotcha.

Does this mean that the advanced features of DgVoodoo like higher resolutions, bilinear filtering, etc... can't be utilized? 🙁

Reply 12 of 18, by Urizen123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:

If anyone wants a mdern carmageddon type game
http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/driving/clutch/review.html

Hmm, looks pretty funky! I may have to check this one out!

As for getting Carmageddon 3dfx running - meh, one of the main selling points for me was being able to run it in 1680x1050, like I could with DgVoodoo/VDMSound. If this isn't possible via Dosbox, then I'll just call it quits I think. Someone's bound to get it working one day. 😀

In the mean time, I'm replaying Red Baron - which looks terrific with the Cartoon shader, btw.

Reply 13 of 18, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

If anyone wants a mdern carmageddon type game
http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/driving/clutch/review.html

Please. Wtf are pedestrians doing in tunnels and streets? Carmageddon was all about going off road and having fun in pedestrian zone. In the demo video you can only drive on road and going over "mutants" is just like collecting little shinnies that give extra score but do nothing extra - and Im not even sure about the score 😉

Reply 15 of 18, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Urizen123 wrote:

In the mean time, I'm replaying Red Baron - which looks terrific with the Cartoon shader, btw.

😀

I wasn't aware that dgvoodoo is able to resize the game. There is some code in the glide patch specifically for dgvoodoo to resize the window to the game requested resolution (dgvoodoo fails to resize the window on it's own). I have done some quick tests and it seems like dgvoodoo might be indeed rendering at a higher resolution but it is being scaled back down. I have no idea how to figure out what res dgvoodoo really wants to set 😕

Reply 16 of 18, by Misterer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried gulikoza's latest DOSBox build both ways (original glide2x.dll and dgvoodoo's glide2x.dll) - in both cases I get black screen (after seeing the 3dfx splash screen), but I can hear the music/sounds. What could be the problem? This is odd since using dgvoodoo standalone (outside DOSBox) I can play the game (but it has it's own problems - no sound at all, jerky car movement). Any help would be nice.

Reply 17 of 18, by marcg1z28

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been having that same issue as well. except I do not get a third person view ( I do but the car is invisible) and half the screen is black and you can not see the othe Racers. When I change to cockpit view...I can not see not see the hood.

Reply 18 of 18, by btw3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try this:

1) Download and unpack ykhwong's dosbox build (it contains gulikoza's glide patch too)
2) Delete glide2x.dll from dosbox folder
3) Set memsize=63 and fullscreen=true in dosbox.conf
4) Install nGlide Glide wrapper

5) Play the game 😀