VOGONS

Windows 95 and CDs.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by DOS4dinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Forgive me for mentioning Windows 95--I know it isn't in the dev's priority list for DOSBox, nor is it supposed to work perfectly.

Anywho, I've been having a heck of time getting a virtual CD to work. All of them seem to not be able to install, or fail once you try to use them. Is there a specific one that Win95 will work with? I believe I'm using version Windows 95 "B"...is that part of the problem? If so, is there an upgrade somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Magic Disc v1.05
Virtual CloneDrive v 5.4.2.5

Both work in Windows 98SE. If those versions don't work in Windows 95 then download earlier versions of those programs. There is also a DOS program than can create virtual drives from ISO's.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 29, by DOS4dinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Magic Disc v1.05
Virtual CloneDrive v 5.4.2.5

Both work in Windows 98SE. If those versions don't work in Windows 95 then download earlier versions of those programs. There is also a DOS program than can create virtual drives from ISO's.

Thanks! Clonedrive works perfectly.

Reply 3 of 29, by DOS4dinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

🙁 CloneCD does work, but it doesn't support mixed mode audio CDs (Which Sonic CD and several other games I have need).

Magic Disc fails to install immediately, so that's a no go.
Any other ideas?

On a side note, how "hard" would it be to get DOSBox to support CDs natively? I know a bit of C/C++, and I have all summer...😜

Reply 5 of 29, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had the same problem with Mortal Kombat Trilogy in Win95. It too is a mixed mode CD. Neither Daemon Tools nor CloneCD would support the audio tracks on the image files. I had better success with an older version of Alcohol 120% (v1.4.7). Sometimes the audio would play, sometimes nothing. In XP it works fine however so it may be a 95 problem.

I have never tried playing mixed mode CDs in DOSBOX so I can't help you there.

Reply 6 of 29, by DOS4dinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

dosbox already supports cdroms natively, but i guess you'd like to access
them through win95. Requires a good bunch of work.

Is there some source documentation to look through? If not, which files deal with CDs/CD images, Red Book/mixed mode audio, and the boot command? And is there some docs on how a real machine (and its BIOS) deals with CD drives? Sorry for all of the n00b questions, but I really would like to work on it if I could.

Reply 11 of 29, by DOS4dinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OSH wrote:

ImageDrive from Nero 5.5 also works perfectly! The installation is a little bit tricky, but I did it! When somebody is interested how to - PM me!

Nice! But does CD audio work? I've never found one that could, and that's what games like Sonic CD desperately needs.

In update to this thread, I never made it anywhere over the summer...DOSBox's source code blew my mind up 🙁

Reply 12 of 29, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately, NOT. I don't know why, but AudioCD doesn't works. I've tested 2 games: X-Wing 95 and Civnet without success. Maybe I have something wrong with my CD ROM settings, but I can't play audio tracks even under WinAMP...

Hmm, something I can't understand. I've tested Super EF2000 made by DID. This version has audiotracks. I've mounted an NRG-image with ImageDrive, launched game, and...it plays audiotracks! Although I can't play it under WinAMP, audiotracks are played in game...strange, very strange...

Reply 13 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Trying to get Winamp (or other media players) to play the audio from mixed-mode CDs isn't always easy.

Really, the best way to check for audio tracks on a CD (virtual or otherwise) is to look at it with IsoBuster.

Also, I'm sure there's a version of Daemon Tools that runs under Win9x. I think there's an official Microsoft Virtual CD tool somewhere too, though it's pretty obscure. (EDIT: Oops, that's XP only.)

Last edited by Jorpho on 2009-09-08, 17:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For 9x:

Still Updated:
MagicDisk or VirtualClone Drive

NOT UPDATED
Daemon Tools - Use Daemon Tools 3.47

There's no reason to use NRG for your images at all....unless you're lazy.

Reply 15 of 29, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
For 9x: […]
Show full quote

For 9x:

Still Updated:
MagicDisk or VirtualClone Drive

NOT UPDATED
Daemon Tools - Use Daemon Tools 3.47

There's no reason to use NRG for your images at all....unless you're lazy.

DaemonTools doesn't work because it generate an "famous 1723 error". This is probably caused by Windows Installer, but I have newest verscion. which works under Windows 9x...
Virtual Clonedrive doesn't work! MagicDisk also. The only one virtualdrive, which works is ImageDrive from Nero. Maybe I have something wrong with my Win95 installation, I don't know.

Reply 16 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The following versions work fine in Windows 98 SE last time I tested:

Magic Disc v1.05
VirtualCloneDrive v5425

You can use newer versions of Daemon Tools all the way to 4.xx something but they were kind of glitchy for me, 3.47 works fine.

Now I didn't try any of these in Windows 9x in DOSBox because Windows 9x is not supported in DOSBox so if you are referring to these programs not working in 9x then also mention that you are using them in DOSBox as well.

Reply 17 of 29, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

The following versions work fine in Windows 98 SE last time I tested:

And this topic is related to Windows 95 not Windows 98SE. And Windows98SE, although is based on Win95, is not the same system.

DosFreak wrote:

Now I didn't try any of these in Windows 9x in DOSBox because Windows 9x is not supported in DOSBox so if you are referring to these programs not working in 9x then also mention that you are using them in DOSBox as well.

I know it! I don't complain about incompatibility of DOSBOX with Win 95. I know, this can be VERY unstable, is from DOSBOX not supported etc etc. The goal of this topic is an exchange of knowledge and experiences about virtual drive emulation in Win95 under DOSBOX. I won't bother anybody (especially from DOSBOX creation staff) about this emulation and problems. I share only with my knowledge. That's all.

Reply 18 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know you are looking at Windows 95 and DOSBox which is why I mentioned that I only tested those utilities in Windows 98.

The idea is that you would try the ones that work in Windows 98. If they did not work then you would try OLDER versions of those utilities until they did work, if at all.

There is a project over at MSFN that is sort of like KernelEX for Windows 98 in that it will improve compatibility for modern apps on Windows 95, can't remember the name right now. Thinks it's SHScomething

/EDIT Here it is:

http://www.msfn.org/board/shell-95-update-pro … te-t116260.html

Dev say's it's purely concerning the 95 "shell" so not sure if he'll offer more compatibility than that.

Reply 19 of 29, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for information 😀 Now one thing: I've downloaded DaemonTools 2.0 and this doesn't work in Win95. Problem is, all older versions of DT are prepared as MSI.package. This won't work with Windows Installer 2.0 or I have something wrong with my Win95 installation. I've downloaded older versions of DT from oldware, maybe this is cause...