VOGONS

First post, by qiet72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I am currently testing the hat part of the Wingman Extreme analog joystick.

This is being tested this under Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex.
I have loaded the following modules for joystick support: joydev, gameport,ns558,analog.

The analog module, I gave the parameter "map=fcs" as the Wingman Extreme is compatible with the Thrustmaster FCS joystick protocol.

dmesg reports "input: Analog 2-axis 4-button 1-hat FCS joystick as /devices/pnp0/00:0e/gameport0/input/input7" which is correct to the physical configuration of the joystick.

I have calibrated using jscal and tested after using jstest - axis, buttons and hat are reported working correctly by jstest.

In dosbox, i start up the keyboard mapper (ctrl-f1) and test the hat which also seems to work properly.

Within Descent I, I configure the joystick to type "Thrustmaster FCS & Wingman Extreme" and calibrate. If I go into the customise section of the game, everything seems to be recognized except the hat. If I try to change one of the hat buttons in the game, the game does not respond when using the hat. I have also tried actually playing the game itself with default joystick settings, but again everything works except the hat.

Any suggestions?

qiet72

Reply 1 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

What version of DOSBox? Self- or pre-compiled?

Have you looked at the joystick-section in your dosbox-config file?

[joystick]
# joysticktype -- Type of joystick to emulate: auto (default), none,
# 2axis (supports two joysticks,
# 4axis (supports one joystick, first joystick used),
# 4axis_2 (supports one joystick, second joystick used),
# fcs (Thrustmaster), ch (CH Flightstick).
# none disables joystick emulation.
# auto chooses emulation depending on real joystick(s).
# timed -- enable timed intervals for axis. (false is old style behaviour).
# autofire -- continuously fires as long as you keep the button pressed.
# swap34 -- swap the 3rd and the 4th axis. can be useful for certain joysticks.
# buttonwrap -- enable button wrapping at the number of emulated buttons.

joysticktype=auto
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=true

Maybe not rely on auto?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 19, by qiet72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I am using version 0.72 of dosbox (pre-packaged ubuntu intrepid version).

I played around with the joystick section of the dosbox.conf file and there was a difference, but still no solution. When joysticktype is set to auto, then the hat does not work at all. If I set it to fcs, the hat partially works: Hat Up translates to Hat up, Hat Right translates to Hat Down, Hat Down and Hat Left gives no response.

I hope this information is useful. Has anything changed in the joystick code since release 0.72? If so, then I could try out the latest source code.

Any more suggestions?

qiet72

Reply 4 of 19, by qiet72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I am currently testing the hat part of the Wingman Extreme analog joystick.

This is being tested this under Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex.
I have loaded the following modules for joystick support: joydev, gameport,ns558,analog.

The analog module, I gave the parameter "map=fcs" as the Wingman Extreme is compatible with the Thrustmaster FCS joystick protocol.

dmesg reports "input: Analog 2-axis 4-button 1-hat FCS joystick as /devices/pnp0/00:0e/gameport0/input/input7" which is correct to the physical configuration of the joystick.

I have calibrated using jscal and tested after using jstest - axis, buttons and hat are reported working correctly by jstest.

In dosbox, i start up the keyboard mapper (ctrl-f1) and test the hat which also seems to work properly.

Within Descent I, I configure the joystick to type "Thrustmaster FCS & Wingman Extreme" and calibrate. If I go into the customise section of the game, everything seems to be recognized except the hat. If I try to change one of the hat buttons in the game, the game does not respond when using the hat. I have also tried actually playing the game itself with default joystick settings, but again everything works except the hat.

I am using version 0.72 of dosbox (pre-packaged ubuntu intrepid version).

I then played around with the joystick section of the dosbox.conf file and there was a difference, but still no solution. When joysticktype is set to auto, then the hat does not work at all. If I set it to fcs, the hat partially works: Hat Up translates to Hat up, Hat Right translates to Hat Down, Hat Down and Hat Left gives no response.

I hope this information is useful. Has anything changed in the joystick code since release 0.72? If so, then I could try out the latest source code.

Any suggestions?

qiet72

Reply 5 of 19, by qiet72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Sorry for the duplicate entry - I though I had posted originally in dosbox general forum.

Anyways, I now tested descent I under a real dos aka "MS DOS 7.1". At first descent would not start, crashing with a DOS/4GW 0Dh exception but then I found DOS/32A which replaced the DOS/4GW extender and descent then started normally.

Descent seems to work perfectly under DOS 7.10 and all hat functions work as they should. So it looks like the hat functions are somehow not being passed through correctly when running descent under dosbox.

I hope this new information helps a lot.

qiet72

Reply 6 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Duplicate posts can be deleted.

Reply 7 of 19, by qiet72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Doesn't look like I can delete my duplicate post. I looked at the FAQ and it says that they cannot be deleted if someone replied to the post. Should I notify the admin?

Anyways, I am currently looking for a DOS program that reports joystick status and buttons, so that I can test the joystick using something other than descent to verify my findings.

qiet72

Reply 8 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

See the three little icons in the top-right corner of every post?

x = Delete
o = Edit
" = Quote

Reply 9 of 19, by qiet72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

When I look at the top right corner of each of my posts, I can only see two icons:

o - edit/delete
" - quote

If I press the "o" icon, I can edit my post, but I don't get any delete option.

Anyways, back to my testing. Logitech did not have a dos tool to test there joysticks with, but being that Wingman Extreme is compatible with Thrustmaster FCS joysticks, I therefor went to Thrustmaster's home page and found and downloaded there tmscope.exe dos joystick diag tool.

Interestingly, under both real dos and dosbox, tmscope reports the hat working correctly. So why is there a difference with Descent I? I now have two more paths to try. First I will try and install Descent II and see if the same problem occurs and the other path is to try and download the latest source for dosbox, compile and test that.

I am currently trying to install Descent II, but it is very difficult. I keep getting errors saying it cannot find the CD under dosbox. I am going to try again under real dos or maybe under a windows 98 machine.

qiet72

Reply 11 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=2601&letter=D
http://www.reece-eu.net/descent2multi.php

Reply 12 of 19, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tested Descent 1 Shareware in Dosbox on Windows. With joysticktype=fcs and Descent configured for Thrustmaster FCS, the hat only worked with swap34=false, not true.

Alternatively, you can use the hat of your joystick with joysticktype=ch and Descent configured for CH Flightstick Pro. The advantage of using CH is that you can use also two additional axles (rudder and thrust).

Reply 13 of 19, by qiet72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Here is my hat results with the joystick section under Descent I registered:

joysticktype=fcs swap34=true hat=up:no,down:no,left:no,right:no
joysticktype=fcs swap34=false hat=up:up,down:no,left:no,right:down
joysticktype=auto swap34=false hat=up:no,down:no,left:no,right:no
joysticktype=auto swap34=true hat=up:no,down:no,left:no,right:no

Next, I will try the shareware version.

qiet72

Reply 14 of 19, by qiet72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, well, well,

There seems to be a difference between the shareware version and the registered version. I can concur with ripa that the shareware version using Thrustmaster FCS, the hat works perfectly. This also seems to be common with the tmscope program as it also only supports the fcs joystick.

Descent I shareware version also only supports the Thrustmaster FCS whereas the registered version you can select Thrustmaster FCS/Wingman Extreme

So, it looks as if the Thrustmaster FCS and Wingman Extreme seem to use slightly different protocols.

I soon as I have Descent II working, I will post my hat results.

qiet72

Reply 15 of 19, by qiet72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok,

I finally got Descent II working and have tested the Wingman Joystick against it under dosbox.

Result: Success

So, Descent I Registered is the only game under dosbox that has problems with Wingman Extreme Hat but works fine under real dos.

I am now going to play with any patches to the game itself to see if there are any changes.

qiet72

Reply 17 of 19, by qiet72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I am now finished my testing with the descent I patches.

Descent 1.0, under dosbox hat up works, hat right maps to hat down and hat left and down don't work at all. Under dos, it works perfectly.
Descent 1.4a, hat works perfectly under both dos and dosbox.
Descnet 1.5, hat works perfectly under both dos and dosbox.

The only game configuration changes I did between dosbox environment and dos environment is in dos, I turned off sound support since I had no compatible sound card and the use of the DOS/32a wrapper as Descent's DOS/4GW wrapper crashes on newer machines.

I guess the only thing left to test is using a newer dosbox source, other than that, I think we can conclude that Descent I registered needs at least the 1.4a patch in order for the Wingman Extreme joystick to work properly under dosbox.

qiet72

Reply 18 of 19, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Solid work there qiet72.

Reply 19 of 19, by qiet72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is probably my last post regarding this thread. I tested the latest cvs version of dosbox on Descent 1.0 and lo and behold, the bug was fixed and the hat now works on all versions of Descent I.

Hats off to the development people of dosbox.
Thanks for the help.

qiet72