VOGONS

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Go to the CGW Museum instead.

Last edited by swaaye on 2012-04-04, 17:13. Edited 8 times in total.

Reply 11 of 50, by samudra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sweet.

I got them from storage this afternoon and found a big videocard and soundcard test and an article on the Diamond Edge 3D. I have no clue how interesting that card is because I'm myself interested in an earlier period of retro gaming, but here it is.

Came across a review of Dark Forces also. You want that?

Video card test February 1996

075a6034844347.gif

Sound card test November 1995

cdbd4034843989.gif

Diamond Edge 3D Review March 1996

3ca0fe34844441.gif

Dark Forces review March 1995

95173f35372814.gif

Game controller review March 1995

6c233335372997.gif

Last edited by samudra on 2009-05-10, 17:46. Edited 1 time in total.

This is not a QEMM error.

Reply 12 of 50, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nice scans. Will look 'em over. If you want to add the Dark Forces review too, sure. One suggestion regarding Imagebam: set it to resize but not crop the thumbnails. There's a dropdown box to set that when you upload.

Diamond Edge3D. Wow did that card ever go nowhere. I have one at home but can't even be bothered to mess around with it because the only games it can accelerate are the pack-ins and they are really hard to find. It sucks for just about everything it can do too. Poor 2D (slow and compatibility issues), bad audio, and really basic 3D. 😀

Reply 14 of 50, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have scanned a couple of specific sound card tests from old(er) dutch magazines, namely Personal Computer Magazine and Computer!Totaal.

If anyone is interested, here they are:CLICK

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 15 of 50, by samudra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, those thumbs look like shit. Nothing wrong with a default that doesn't crop, people at imagebam.

Dark Forces review added.

I also found a game controller test in the same mag so I added that one as well. Knock yourself out.

Just look at that arcade controller from Datel. Looks like very high quality. Anyone ever had one pass through their hands?

This is not a QEMM error.

Reply 16 of 50, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a USB Flightstick Pro. It's only a few years old. They still make 'em. Love that stick. The mag complains about the low stick tension, but frankly I think that's a plus because it gives you excellent fine control. Also, since I'm a member of the lefty minority, and most sticks aren't for lefties because of goofy ergonomic lumpy nonsense that most companies mold in, I really appreciate the simplicity of the plainly functional design of the CH Flightstick line.

I also have a Flightstick from 1993 or so. Gameport-based of course. My appreciation of that stick is the reason I picked up the USB Flighstick Pro.

That arcade sticks look hardcore indeed. Would be great for MAME gaming today, if only it was USB. 😀

Reply 18 of 50, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They do. I picked one out for a friend of mine looking for a stick. I've used it a bit and it is rather nice. I'm fairly sure that this is what I got him those years ago.
http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/st290pro.htm

Reply 19 of 50, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ugh, the AMD K6-2. I built myself a PII-450 with money saved up from my first job (running a college computer lab) and it was awesome - it was the first PC that was truly mine (not a family PC) and the last one that I booted DOS on (Win98's DOS), and I eventually upgraded it to a PIII-550 with Win2K.

After I built that machine, many of my friends built AMD K6-2 based machines because they were cheaper; they had so many problems and mediocre performance (partially due to the horrible VIA motherboard chipsets). I never bought a VIA-based motherboard after that era, although I have since bought AMD CPUs. I also formed a high opinion of Gigabyte motherboards because that's what I used for my Pentium II system.