VOGONS

First post, by kicker04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

Is it possible to get Sherlock Holmes 2 running under Dosbox? I could install it but it always crashes after 10 seconds at the beginning. I added a screenshot as attachment. Do I need to set up some special configurations for that game?

Thanks for help!

Attachments

• Bild 1.png
    Filename
    Bild 1.png
    File size
    289.13 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Screenshot
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hmm. You could try fiddling with the xms=.... and ems=... settings.
And try different core=.... settings.

If that doesn't help, it becomes more difficult. There is a free replacement for DOS/4GW floating around calld DOS32A. It might work better. But before trying that, maybe it is easier to try one of daily CVS-builds of DOSBox. It is possible that it is cause by a bug in DOSBox 0.72, a bug that might be fixed in the next release.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have played it using either VDMSound or DOSBox (old version, not current one). If I recall correctly you have to disable EMS usage inside the game's configuration.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Will there ever be a new version of Dosbox?

is the pope catholic?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Will there ever be a new version of Dosbox?

is the pope catholic?

Does he wear a funny hat?

kicker04 - any luck with the suggestions I made?

Reply 7 of 11, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can run this game using DOSBox 0.72 without issue (I have my CPU cycles at 10000 for some reason or other and didn't check if it work with auto).

From the screenshot you provided, it could be when the game tries to play a digital sound (the newspaperman says 'extra, extra....'). Check your digital sound effects playback [with another game?].

Reply 8 of 11, by kicker04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

kicker04 - any luck with the suggestions I made?

No sorry, I didn't try that. That sounds a bit too complicated for me. I don't even know what is meant with ems and xms and core settings and so on. I just want to run the game.

Reply 10 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Or you could try installing one of the many DOSBox frontends that makes it easier to change all those pesky DOSBox settings.

Reply 11 of 11, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This game should run with the default DOSBox settings and has for a long time, so I would suggest three possibilities:

The sound card is incorrectly setup

The OP's copy is damaged, or

The OP fiddled with something in an attempt to make it run.