VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by beerslayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi - I hope this is the right place to post this question... if not, I apologize and please feel free to move it. I couldn't find this answer in the documentation.

I have a program that requires installation for it to work. I'd like to run the installer under DOSbox, but there is one problem. The installer has six disks, and at various points during the installation, it wants me to swap disks in drive A.

I have the contents of the six disks distributed in six subdirectories, labeled Disk1, Disk2, etc. When the installer prompts me to do so, I need to swap the directory mounted as drive A. Unfortunately, since the installer itself is still running, I do not have access to the command line and cannot enter a mount command to remap the drive to the new correct subdirectory.

I've tried putting all six disks' worth of files into a single directory, but this installer is either too smart or too dumb to work properly that way and insists on having a different disk inserted.

Is there any way in DOSbox to change which directory is mounted on the fly, without using the command line? If not, it would be a nice enhancement for a future version.

When correctly viewed, everything is lewd. -- Tom Lehrer

Reply 1 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

CTRL-F4 works fine with real diskettes I think.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 10, by papazark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

a long time ago, I used 'Virtual Floppy Drive' to mount floppy images in Windows.
Then I mounted the virtual drive in dosbox (with a real mount)

After that, I could use Ctrl+F4 to swap my real fake floppies.

I don't think you can actually swap floppy images mounted with imgmount.

Hope that helps

Reply 3 of 10, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Swapping of type floppy doesn't work in DOSBox the way it does with type iso. Unless there are file names that overwrite just put them all in one folder.

For example, all files in C:\DOS\A
MOUNT A C:\DOS\A -t floppy

In the event that there would be overwrites Virtual Floppy Drive is next best thing.
http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/vfd.html
Create an IMG file for each one, copy the files as you would a real floppy drive, then mount it.

I also like Floppy Image for making IMG files.
http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page3.html

Reply 4 of 10, by beerslayer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, none of them work for me in this case.

Any time I try to mount a directory as the A: drive, **even if that directory is on a floppy image via Virtual Floppy Drive**, this stupid installer seems to detect that it isn't an actual floppy drive and refuses to run at all past a certain point. The only ways I can even get to where it prompts for disk 2 are either a) putting all six disks' worth of files in a single directory, or b) mounting a floppy image (.IMA file) directly in DOSbox. Neither of these options succeeds.

With option a), it never recognizes that disk 2 is present and keeps prompting for it, and with option b), of course there's no way for me to swap images since Ctrl-F4 doesn't work for floppy images (why not??? this seems like a silly restriction!).

I guess this belongs in the General section only as long as we're talking about swapping images. If I mention the application name, we have to move it to the Games/Apps section... 😁

When correctly viewed, everything is lewd. -- Tom Lehrer

Reply 6 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
wd wrote:

(why not??? this seems like a silly restriction!).

Just apply the patch from sourceforge, silly you!

Did I miss a <sarcasm-mode>on</sarcasm-mode> or what?

Reply 8 of 10, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hyperspeed did this to me. First the installer didn't detect the local drive mounted in DOSBox. Then it didn't know what files are on which disk and aborted when it didn't find them. It only had 3 disks so I used Virtual Floppy Drive to create a 3.5" 2.88MB IMG file. I copied all the files into it so it would always find them and just ran the installer from WinXP cmd prompt.

With 6 disks you would run out of space. You could try MagicISO to combine all the files into an ISO image and try to install like you would from a CD.

wd wrote:

Just apply the patch from sourceforge, silly you!

If this is what you mean, what exactly does one do with a diff file?

Last edited by SKARDAVNELNATE on 2009-01-26, 20:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 10, by ecksemmess

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To the OP: it seems like you should be able to mount a single directory (C:\DISK on your PC, let's say) to A: in DOSBox, and copy only the contents of Disk 1 to it; then, when prompted for Disk 2, simply delete everything in C:\DISK and copy the contents of Disk 2 into there, and rescan with CTRL+F4 in DOSBox. Doesn't this work? If not, where does it go wrong?