VOGONS

Common searches

TCP/IP over DOSBox Modem?

Topic actions

First post, by another

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOSBox doesn't have a TCP/IP stack, right?

Is there some way to find a DOS driver to implement TCP/IP over the virtual modem?

Maybe it's already working with existing software? Is there are dial in software/driver for the DOSBox modem?

Perhaps I could call my LAN IP and listen there to virtual modem and forwarding any data requests over my normal internet connection?

Reply 1 of 27, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

http://wooledge.org:8000/XyProblem

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 27, by another

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On real DOS I would search for a packet driver for the network card and start it, it would enable TCP/IP support.

This enables the ability to use any TCP/IP based software, for example Arachne Web Browser, Breadbox Ensemble, private software...

DOSBox does not emulate a network card and there there will be also no packet driver or faked TCP/IP. My idea was to overcome this with the virtual modem maybe.

Hope it's more clear now.

Reply 3 of 27, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

User h-a-l-9000 has a version of DOSBox somewhere on his homepage that includes a virtual network card.

Reply 4 of 27, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:

User h-a-l-9000 has a version of DOSBox somewhere on his homepage that includes a virtual network card.

I also recommend this version. I'm using his 4.1 with no problems. You have to create an image and load it with DOS & WfWG 3.11 to get it to work because of the config/autoexec boot files. (At least I do.)
http://home.arcor.de/h-a-l-9000/mb4.html

Although if you must have networking support, and games are not the intended application, you may also be able to get away with VMWare Workstation or MS Virtual PC 2007.

Reply 5 of 27, by another

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got it, I started the NE2000 packet driver, so far it's working. After starting Arachne it will detect the packet driver.

But simple applications such as Arachne or lynx will not be able to boot up using DHCP.

Is this "only" an emulated NIC oder is it an emulated NIC with emulated Router, emulated DHCP and forwarding to real internet?

Reply 7 of 27, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I assume it is "just" a plain ethernet card. Everything else (DHCP & routing) will have to be provided by the OS/application.

Reply 8 of 27, by another

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@MiniMax: this would be no problem, I can set up DHCP and routing...

But is there a bridge from the faked NE2000 to the real computer such as an IP and a listen port?

Or asked more easy... What is the planed purpose of this faked NE2000 by the author of this special DOSBox edition?

Reply 10 of 27, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
another wrote:

@MiniMax: this would be no problem, I can set up DHCP and routing...

With Win 3.1? Good luck. And please share your experience.

Reply 11 of 27, by another

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's purpose is to be another network card on the ethernet. No bridge/whatever.

And what some can do with this network card? (examples: lan with mslanclient, lan with win3.11 and host, plaiyng DOS online games, using TCP/IP applications such as Arachne online?)

With Win 3.1? Good luck. And please share your experience.

Why with Win 3.1? I could set up this on host's side (Windows XP) if the emulated network card will create a lan with the host operating system.

Reply 13 of 27, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> And what some can do with this network card?

Playing IPX games between Computers with DOSBox and others with pure DOS, accessing the internet and network shares in Windows 95 (I didn't try 3.11 myself but got positive feedback, it needs to be BOOTed though), using a DOS network disk to be able to access host files while BOOTed, somebody reported he got a Novell client installed (BOOTed too).

1+1=10

Reply 14 of 27, by another

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

He means Win 3.1 WITHIN DOSBox

Wouldn't make much point to set up a DHCP server inside DOSBox.

Playing IPX games between Computers with DOSBox and others with pure DOS,

Nice, but IPX support is already in official DOSBox, I fail to see the point.

accessing the internet

This sounds interesting and this is what I want to do, access the internet from inside DOSBox.

Example was Arachne Web Browser for DOS... Arachne will accept the NE2000 if I load the packet driver. But Arachne is not able to access the internet because the settings are unknown. Arachne can use BOOTP and DHCP, but it doesn't find a server.

How I can get this example application to work?

Reply 15 of 27, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Playing IPX games between Computers with DOSBox and others with pure DOS,

Not between DOSBox and pure dos. Only between DOSBox and DOSBox.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 16 of 27, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
another wrote:

That is not the only thing you fail at...

According to figure G on this page, you don't need DHCP/BOOTP as long as you know how your local network is setup.

Reply 17 of 27, by another

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

According to figure G on this page, you don't need DHCP/BOOTP as long as you know how your local network is setup.

Yes, you are free to use manual settings.

BOOTP/DHCP is just the usual way to setup things, it's much simpler and less error-prone.

as long as you know how your local network is setup.

And what is my local network setup inside DOSBox? That's the information I am looking for.

VMware has also a emulated network card, but there it's easy, just load the packet driver and everything is configured thought DHCP. But the advice to switch to VMware is bad, I come from VMware and switch to DOSBox already because DOSBox has better compatibility for graphic and sound.

Bare with me, I have no clue how to go online inside DOSBox. I just need some documentation, a short tutorial for going online with any TCP/IP application, with that help it should be possible to adapt this for any other.

Reply 18 of 27, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
another wrote:

And what is my local network setup inside DOSBox? That's the information I am looking for.

You have the ability to make DOSBox operate like VMWare with a hard disk image. In that way WFWG 3.11 Networking works. However, with your application (I haven't looked at it much), you may be able to make it work in the regular DOSBox mode without a HDD image. I don't know. See this: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/IMGMOUNT#Hard_disk_images

HAL9000's build offers a bridged network mode with an NE2000 card, also similar to VMWare. It is bridged to your local LAN - the same one attached to your PC. DHCP is handled by your firewall or whatever device you have dishing out IP's to your DOSBox host.

Reply 19 of 27, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hmm this was easier than what I'm used to... can't remember where I got that packet driver though.
The command line for it was
NE2000 0x60 3 0x300
then start Arachne.

Arachne has it's own TCP/IP stack with DHCP (edit: DHCP client) integrated.
I've clicked on Arachne setup and then on the network card symbol, detect packet driver, then on DHCP.

Do you have a LAN at all? I'm not sure what it will do with the virtual stuff...

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox_arachne.png
    File size
    45.07 KiB
    Downloads
    467 downloads
    File comment
    Arachne Web browser in DOSBox
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

1+1=10