VOGONS

Korg Midi Daughterboards

Topic actions

First post, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today I obtained a new midi daughterboard!.. Which appears to be a "Trust Korg Super Sound Module". It is said to have a 4Mb patch set. I already have a similar card, the Topwave-32, I just compared two songs, and they sound identical... They do quite well, nearly all patches are good quality, only the volume is sometimes a bit off compared to Roland and Yamaha.

Thought I might share these images here, as to add to the other daughterboard images in THIS topic.

I wonder if the MediaVision Korg board is also practically the same?

Attachments

• topwave32.jpg
    Filename
    topwave32.jpg
    File size
    84.09 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    X Technology Topwave-32, Daughterboard
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • tkssm.jpg
    Filename
    tkssm.jpg
    File size
    87.79 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Trust Korg Super Sound Module, Daughterboard
    File license

Reply 1 of 56, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Consider yourself fortunate. I have been looking for the Media Vision Korg daughterboard for a long time. I haven't even seen it come up for auction. I'd gladly trade one of my Roland or Yamaha daughterboards to get some variety.

Reply 3 of 56, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My MediaVision Pro Wave Korg board has a layout different from both of the two displayed above, but the dimensions are more like the Topwave-32 (not square). My card is marked 650-0120-01-D. The large square Korg chip is marked as follows:

KORG
MBCS35104
TGL
9327 E17

The smaller square Korg chip is marked as follows:

KORG
AI202
6433388A24F
4J1 JAPAN

This is the only wavetable daughterboard I have ever owned, and I have always been impressed by the sound. After MediaVision went under, some multimedia hardware outlet (I believe in California) was selling them for $50.00US, so I picked one up to go with my MediaVision MV2200 multimedia upgrade kit. The daughterboard is currently connected to a Creative Labs CT-2950 card in an old AST desktop machine.

I would post a picture, but my digital camera/webcam can't do proper close-up shots.

Reply 4 of 56, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Valner: Consider yourself fortunate. I have been looking for the Media Vision Korg daughterboard for a long time. I haven't even seen it come up for auction. I'd gladly trade one of my Roland or Yamaha daughterboards to get some variety.

😉, that would not be a bad deal on itself.

Moogle!: Can you record the songs? What soundset is it? Is it GM, GS, or XG, as Yamaha owns, (or did own) Korg.

The Topwave-32 is General Midi only, I have the booklet for that board, pretty sure the other board is also GM only.This is not a problem for the game music that I am interested in.

Here are some Midi recordings (zip 6.5Mb). Hope it gives some idea of the patch set.
(Never mind the name, I linked to this file before in a post on this forum)

@Akula65: Thanks for the info on the Media Vision board, it seems very similar to other two boards. Good chance they have the same patch set I'd say. When you cannot photograph a board, maybe you can put it under a scanner?, that's what I do.

Here are the chip codes, written after the MediaVision codes:
The large square Korg chip is marked as follows:
KORG > same
MBCS35104 > same
TGL > same
9327 E17 > Topwave-32: 9448 Z13 > Trust: 9449 Z20
The smaller square Korg chip is marked as follows:
KORG > same
AI202 > same
6433388A24F > same
4J1 JAPAN > Topwave-32: 4M1 JAPAN > Trust: 4M1 JAPAN

Reply 5 of 56, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems like it's definitely the same synth, but probably a slight revision to either to patch set or ROM chip - probably both.

I'd prefer if he put the board on top of a scanner instead. hohoho

Reply 7 of 56, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I'm not quite THAT dumb.

I already put the board away earlier, so I'll have to fish it out again tomorrow. When I bought it, I didn't get an original manual, but I did receive a paper photocopy of only fair quality. Unfortunately, it doesn't list specifications (Media Vision manuals tend to be written for the technologically-impaired). One thing it does mention is that it has a 4MB ROM. A copy is attached.

Attachments

Reply 9 of 56, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I scanned the card as you suggested, but the height of the connector and some of the components makes most of the text too fuzzy to read. Still, it gives you a notion of the component layout.

Attachments

• MV_Korg_Wavetable.jpg
    Filename
    MV_Korg_Wavetable.jpg
    File size
    27.73 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Media Vision Professional Wavetable Upgrade (650-0120-01-D)
    File license

Reply 10 of 56, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for posting the manual and the scan. Indeed your scanner seems to have difficulty with stuff that is not flat on the glass, I did not expect that.. It's good to have a picture nonetheless.
I might try to scan my topwave manual too, but I have to fix a notebook first, and it ain't cooperating .... 😖

Reply 11 of 56, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

gerwin: are we talking about the console(ish) machine (Topwave) which Sammy made ? since if you scan that manual, then give it out to all, and spread the word on it. Since it could help some people probably 😀 not me, but I still think of people who are console interested in my mind.

Reply 12 of 56, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apart of my bad japanese 😉 this is a very interesting site, that could help identifing wavetable daughterboards: http://wavetable.web.fc2.com/

I used the google translator, it's okay if you just want to know the specs.

Maybe there is somebody here who really speaks japanese.

Reply 13 of 56, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, that sure is an impressive website on the subject of midi daughterboards. strangely I never found that one myself. Offcourse I cannot help you on any japanese either...

@WolverineDK: no sorry, I am talking about the midi daughterboard, as displayed in the first post.

Reply 14 of 56, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

@WolverineDK: no sorry, I am talking about the midi daughterboard, as displayed in the first post.

aaah sorry mate, I was thinking of the Atomiswave system. Heck, it has been a while I had dived into all that console stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomiswave

Reply 15 of 56, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nice site Silent Loon!
I found that I have a "YAMAHA OPL4-ML WAVETABLE DAUGHTERBOARD UPGRADE - MODEL # 2030" 1MB daughterboard 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 16 of 56, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gerwin, since you were kind enough to provide the samples and the original MIDI file as well, I made a corresponding recording of the Media Vision mounted on the Creative Labs CT-2950 mentioned above. The file is attached.

Attachments

• Filename
    Media_Vision.zip
    File size
    1.01 MiB
    Downloads
    836 downloads
    File comment
    Media Vision/Creative CT-2950 Recording of descent2.mid
    File license

Reply 17 of 56, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the recording of the media vision daughterboard, I will keep it with the others. As a first impression I do notice some difference in sound between the MV-one and the other Korg boards.

Reply 18 of 56, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heh, looks like i have Korg KLM-1911, but not marketed as I-O Data. Same as KLM-1911 from the above link but without I-O Data sticker in top-left. Maybe original Korg product? In box with manuals, all in japan hieroglyphs. Only words in english on the box is "Korg Audio Gallery. Wavetable Board For Windows".

Reply 19 of 56, by squaderaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
valnar wrote:

Consider yourself fortunate. I have been looking for the Media Vision Korg daughterboard for a long time. I haven't even seen it come up for auction. I'd gladly trade one of my Roland or Yamaha daughterboards to get some variety.

Hi guys, if anybody might be interested: I have my MediaVision Topwave 32 daughterboard for sale on marktplaats.nl. I am located in the netherlands, but can send it anyware if required. I have attached a photo of my card.

the directlink
http://www.marktplaats.nl/index.php?url=http% … itbreiding.html

Greetings

Attachments

• Filename
    IMG_8615_resize.jpg
    File size
    269.81 KiB
    Downloads
    499 downloads
    File comment
    Mediavision Topwave 32