VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rumbadumba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

System: K6/3, GA5AX, EWS64XL+DB50XG, GUS ACE, GF2 Ti, V2 SLI, running 98

Sound works in Heretic [can use either GUS or EWS for both sound and music], Vinyl Goddess, Jill of the Jungle, Full Throttle (latest version), and I can run MIDI files on the EWS or GUS. Also get sound in vanilla Quake (and Winquake though that crashes the system). But GLQuake remains silent.

Any ideas?

Reply 4 of 11, by rumbadumba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks but I was wanting to get glquake running - I'm sure it used to on this hardware, but I have probably changed some setting or other to get something else working.

I am running the latest version (as of a couple of years ago) from an orignal cd plus updates from the id website.

It just seemed such an odd error (given that DOS-based games run from Windows have working sound, and sound works in Windows generally), that I thought someone else might have had the problem and might remember the solution.

Could it be that I need to set variables in my autoexec.bat? I see now there aren't the old "set blaster" and related lines - but when I put in a set blaster line it made no difference as I recall (was a bit late when I tried). I also see you can have "set sound" lines pointing to driver files? No idea what to put in for the EWS64XL as the examples I have seen relate to SB16s.

Reply 8 of 11, by rumbadumba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried everything, including full reinstalls. Also had an annoying problem with Heretic which could only momentarily use the DB50XG before some conflict or other stopped it.

Solution was to remove the EWS64XL (*cry*) and replace it with an SB16, the only ISA card I have with a wavetable header. No header on SB Pro 2, Sound Galaxy, AWE64 Gold (AWE32 doesnt matter even if it does cos it wont fit my case).

Now glquake does sound, and heretic can use the daughterboard. Yay!

From these experiences and Silent Loon's posts elsewhere, it looks like these sorts of problems can occur with the EWS64XL. Great pity because it has good software, but it is basically a musician's card and this rig is specifically to play old games on.

Reply 10 of 11, by rumbadumba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah ... but that's kind-of the point for this machine, to be able to play things how they were, or how they would have been if i'd been able to upgrade my system how i'd wished i could, at the time.

Reply 11 of 11, by rumbadumba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, now I put the ews64xl back in. No game played on the 3dfx cards gives sound in windows - eg. glquake using the 3dfx mini-GL, and redline racer using its glide setting. Sound sometimes works for a few seconds, even 10 seconds or so before cutting out.

No conflicts reported by windows.

Cleaning out the Creative 3D Blaster drivers and installing FastVoodoo2.4.6 does not make any difference.

Then I tick the Disable Scan Line Interleave on the Display Settings tab for the Voodoo's. Glide games now have sound.

Un-checking it, they lose sound. They don't seem to look any different, the driver indicates the tick is to stop glide automatically detecting an SLI setup.

Problem solved, it seems.