VOGONS

First post, by TrajkLogik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I've installed Win 3.1 in DOSBox 0.72 along with the S3 video drivers that I found links for in these forums. I've been wanting to get the 1995 Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia up and running - my favorite multimedia encyclopedia, which I haven't been able to use for years. When I install it, the install goes through perfectly, then the install of the Apple Quicktime Movie Player 2.01 begins after Grolier is installed. It goes all the way to 100% then gives a message that the install was canceled and unsuccessful. When I try to launch Grolier, I get an error that says something like "QT initialization failed" and Grolier crashes. So then I tried to install the 1994 and 1996 version. The 1994 version works perfectly. Instead of Quicktime, it installs some Windows Movie Player.
When I install the 1996 version, everything installs perfectly, including the Quicktime Movie Player 2.03. But when I go to load the '96 Grolier, eveything works fine except the movies. When I open the Quicktime player from within windows 3.1 and not in the encyclopedia, it says it can't play the movie. After the '96 version of Grolier was installed, I then tried the '95. It opened! Yayy!, 😁 but it couldn't play any movies 😢 just like the '96 version.
So it's obviously the Movie Player. Is there anyone that knows a fix or anything I can try to get this to work? Thanks.

Reply 1 of 7, by TrajkLogik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After re-reading the title of the thread, I just wanted to make something clear. This is Windows 3.1, not 2.0x. The version of Quicktime is 2.01 which is included with the '95 Grolier and the 2.03 version included with the '96 Grolier.

Reply 2 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Quicktime players for Windows 3.x were a royal pain in the... and afterwards Quicktime 3.x or so made all the Quictime based CDs like your encxclopedia not working... I may take a look soon with my multimedia CDs...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

in fact the whole win3.1 related stuff isn't a priority. (So combine that with an application running inside w3.1...)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 7, by TrajkLogik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I've browsed around the forum and saw that Games were the top priority for DOSBox. I thought there might be a Graphical, Memory, etc. setting that someone might know about that I could change that would make it work. I also thought that since there are several games that only can be run from Windows 3.1 and not from a DOS prompt, that 3.1 would be on the list to make more compatible. Also, I think there are games that use the Quicktime Player. And where else on the Net would I have any chance of getting the solution? 😉

Oh! I almost forgot! I did find a solution! I found the latest version of Quicktime, version 2.1.2, here:
http://www.gaby.de/win3x/esoft.htm
It's at the middle of the page.
I DLed it, unpacked it, and then installed it within Win3.1. It installed perfectly, then asked if I wanted to play the Sample.mov. I clicked YES! and it played it! Freakin' Awesome!