VOGONS

Wolfenstein 3D Super Upgrades addon pack + dosbox all versions

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by bugzy1977

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/freeware/wolf3dsu.zip Freeware release of Wolf3D Super Upgrades addon for full version (1.7Mb)

When I install this addon pack, wolfenstein won't load...

the original game works fine, but when I select a game from the super upgrades pack, it freezes at the startup screen where it shows your ram, sound etc.

The version is 1.4. Do note, the only way to get it going again (the original game) if I extract the original game files to the same directory, it will run, but I can't select any upgrade packs.

Please help, I think it is a bug in dosbox, which they havn't picked up on yet.

Anyone else having issues? I have tried different configurations to no avail.

It happens on all computers I have tested it on so far, so I'd say its safe to say that its a bug in dosbox. I have tried earlier versions of dosbox as well to no avail.

When I run through command prompt on windows xp, it works fine (except I don't get full sounds of course)

Error code that comes up on dosbox is CPU:GRP5: Illegal call 7, then it just shuts down dosbox.

Reply 1 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

"CPU:GRP5: Illegal call 7" usually means that DOSBox is trying to execute rubbish code. Question is why?

I assume you have tried different cores?
Have you tried some of the unofficial, experimental version. Search for AEP and CVS.

http://www.google.se/search?q=dosbox+aep+cvs

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 17, by Eternal_Sonata

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The same addon crashed DOSBox for me with the same error also. I really wanted to try out some of the new levels in it since I'm getting ready to re-play Wolfenstein 3D again. =)

I've tried all the cores, and tried disabling sound. Still the same error.

Has anyone looked into this by chance? Where could one download the latest CVS build and try it there?

EDIT: I tried getting the 09/28/2008 build of 0.72 from the Daum Cafe, but the link is down. =(

Reply 3 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Link

Reply 6 of 17, by Eternal_Sonata

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the link, I didn't think to check the forums there for an updated one.

However, I tried all three cores, and tried enabling and disabling sound on that build as well. Still the same "CPU:GRP5: Illegal call 7" error.

Oh well, I got more than enough Wolfenstein to play as it is, I was just curious to see a few of the levels in this pack is all since it was free on 3D Realm's site. 😀

Reply 8 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Yes, they both read and reply here. Every single day.

And things get fixed - but investigating and fixing a problem often requires access to the game that doesn't work.

And maybe the developers don't think it is their responsibility to pay with THEIR money to buy that Wolf 3D game, and spend THEIR time on fixing it, so that YOU can play it.

You bought that game somewhere? Complain to the people that took your money, and ask them for support. Or ask them to donate a copy of the game to the DOSBox team. Or offer DOSBox team to buy a copy of the game for them. Or make a healthy donation to DOSBox.

Reply 9 of 17, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The addon was released as freeware by 3DRealms, and is available (with no support) on their FTP server. Wolf3D is crashing because the external menu program tries to rename some files using wildcards, which DOSBox does not support.

You can work around the situation by using the 4DOS command shell, which has more full-featured versions of DOS commands. Place 4DOS.COM in the root of your mounted C: drive, and then type "SET COMSPEC=C:\4DOS.COM" in DOSBox prior to running the addon. You can put the SET command in the autoexec section of your conf file for convenience. You should also probably re-install Wolf3D and the addon because of the leftover files that didn't get renamed.

Reply 10 of 17, by Asa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm glad I found this. I am running DOSbox 0.74. I have the same problem with WolfMaster. In addition, on my computer, the internal documentation reading function does not work. It does not find the expected file in the ALLGAMES.LZH archive (even though they are there). This applies to the help files for WolfMaster and the help files to the different levels included with it.

I downloaded the SU pack ads df file from 3DR. The last page is the installation instructions. According to that, there is supposed to be a file named W3D-HELP.EXE in the full version of Wolf3D, but my copy doesn'[t have that file. I don't know if this is part of the problem or not, but it might be.

Also, the instructions say that when the SU pack was purchased, it included a "new" full version of Wolf3D. It recommends using that version to install SU into instead of the reg'd version you already have.

Here's a link to the pdf: http://www.3drealms.com/wolf3d/w3d_su_advert.pdf

I am trying to find out where I can get a copy of the W3D-HELP.EXE file. I don't know why my copy of Wolf3D does not have it.

Reply 11 of 17, by Asa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found a copy of W3DHELP.EXE. (Turns out the - added in the installation instructions is a typo.) It made no difference. It's interesting that I found the file on a site that had each of the files included in the shareware version of Wolf3D v1.4 listed separately. I was able to download just that file. I compared the list with the files in the shareware v1.4 that I have, and the W3DHELP.EXE file is the only one that isn't in that directory. I wonder if I have copies of 1.4 prior to removing the goobers command line option? Like, maybe W3DHELP didn't get included until 1.4g?

I have found that it is the renaming convention in WolfM that is the problem. Apparently DOSbox won't handle wildcards in renaming. The files being extracted to play with are not being renamed to .wl6. They still have the .A, .AA or whatever extension. I agree that is why the game crashes.[/b]

Reply 12 of 17, by Asa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did some experimenting last night. I found that if I rename the files extracted to .wl6 the game will play. Sometimes I have to exit DOSbox and restart it before it will work. I think it has something to do with the directory listing in DOSbox not being updated when a filename gets changed in Windows. And I even tried just backing back out of the dir and re-entering the dir (cd .. and cd wolfsu [my wolf super upgrade directory], respectively). Also, when you want to use mapedit, you have to quit DOSbox and restart if before mapedit will find the files, once you've renamed them.

It's sloppy, but it works. Hopefully I can find a way to get around all this soon. I'll post when I know more.

Reply 14 of 17, by Asa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ripsaw8080 wrote: The answer is right in front of you if you bothered to read my year-old comment in this thread.

I did read the thread before I started posting anything here. I mean no disrespect; I just like to be thorough.

I downloaded 4dos and added the set command to the config file for DOSbox. That solved the problem for the game playing. It now plays correctly. However, the problem with reading the readme files associated with the different game maps are still not being read. The "Bad command or file name" error still occurs when I select any of them from the menu in WolfMaster. I'm still looking to solve that issue.

Reply 15 of 17, by Asa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also, 4DOS is now available as freeware. JP Software put it on their ftp site: ftp://ftp.jpsoft.com/

The 4dos folder there contains a file (the installer for 4dos) and a folder. The folder contains all of the 4dos files. The installer can be opened with WinZip. DO NOT run the installer to install 4dos! Select and extract the necessary files from the installer archive. The files listed in the folder on the ftp site are the files needing to be extracted. I extracted them to a folder named 4DOS.

Reply 16 of 17, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The addon uses the DOS external program MORE.COM to pause scrolling text, and you get the "Bad command or file name" error message when it isn't found. You can use MORE.COM from MS-DOS (or MORE.EXE from FreeDOS) and put it in the WOLF3D directory, or locate it somewhere that is in your PATH environment variable.

Reply 17 of 17, by Asa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found more.exe at http://66.149.22.162/library/software/msdos.util.html.
I put it in the wolf3d folder and it works. Now I have a fully functional Super Upgrades version of Wolf3D. Also, I found in the documentation that the Wolf3D that was included with the SU pack when it was being sold is the 1.4g version, because purchasers may have purchased the second version of 1.4 that did not include the -goobers command. Fortunately for me, the version I have has the -goobers functionality.

In addition, I have version 8.4 of Mapedit. Since the version of Mapedit included with SU is version 8.1, I renamed the directory for that to MAPEDIT81 and extracted the mapedit 8.4 archive into the wolf3d folder where I have the SU installed. Version 8.4 is different from version 8.1 in one major way. It contains zip files v8.1 does not contain. Because of this, you have to extract the wolf3d and/or sod files from their respective zip files into the mapedit directory.

I hope all of this helps someone else who's trying to get the SU pack to run.