VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by markv23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I always experience a crash on the track Sunbeach Hill (the 5th one), always and only after the first checkpoint. I recently tried running on dosbox, and despite perfect emulation, this anoying crash keeps happening the same way. Its clear a non-dosbox issue, so I'm posting this thread in this section.

another thing, this only happens when a play on the SVGA mode, in VGA this crash doesn't happen. But screamer looks good only in SVGA.

I tried to replace the original dos4gw included in the game, with a new one but that does'n work.

Last edited by markv23 on 2012-12-19, 14:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's a non-dosbox issue, so I'm posting this thread in this section.

I've debugged this some time ago, not knowing (but assuming in the end)
that it is not related to dosbox. It doesn't happen always, but pretty often.

Reply 2 of 10, by markv23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Exatly. the most funny thing, sometimes (very rare ocasions) I managed to complete the full race on this track. most times happen on the first lap, but sometimes happens on the second, third, or don't happen at all. really intriguing. Its frustrating to change do VGA just to play on ths track, its a great track, and SVGA on screamer is so beuatiful. And only crashes on this track, the other tracks are running great.

Last edited by markv23 on 2008-08-28, 23:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 10, by markv23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

maybe someone have a solution. bugs sometimes have patches to fix.
if it can't be fixed, I'll accept that. but I least I try to see solutions... that's the purpose of this forum, I guess.

Last edited by markv23 on 2012-12-19, 14:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

It ain't here:
http://www.patches-scrolls.de/game_index.php#s

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 10, by markv23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A few months ago I discovred the cause of the problem.

It's the file map5h.dat (in the GFX folder), wich is the file for the SVGA data for the track sunbeach hill. To avoid the crashes, just rename the file map5l.dat (VGA data of the track) to map5H.dat (of course, after backing up both files).

However, unfortunately doing this makes some of the scenery disappear, like buildings, trees, for no apparent reason (in the VGA version of the track all the scenery is complete, despite the lower resolution). But the crashes are all gone.

I'm just posting for those who really like the game and are interested on the issue, so, sorry for the incovenience.

Reply 8 of 10, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It used to randomly crash for me running on an old Win98/DOS PC, it's just the game being buggy! As mentioned above, swap to VGA or do that change above. All the Screamer games had a weird sort of scaled SVGA mode (you can see some lines of the screen fatter than others), luckily Screamer 2 and Screamer Rally were made more reliable with the 3Dfx patches.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 10 of 10, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It never happened though, as Screamer 1 only had 256 colour mode, where 2 and Rally had 16bit mode, which were more easily converted to 3Dfx.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor