VOGONS

First post, by Barbecue

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I read on some board that it was possible to make Daggerfalls frankly outdated graphics look better by tinkering with the DosBox configuration file. I went and changed the scaler from normal12x to advmame3x the game now looks pleasantly handpained and smoother. However, from watching videos on Youtube, it looks as if it can be made to look better even.

Can anyone tell me what the optimal settings for making Daggerfall look pretty would be? I tried the search function but couldn't quite find what I was looking for. I'm using Dosbox 0.65, would I need to update it?

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 4, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Youtube videos will always look better, because they're smaller in res. Everything looks better at a lower res. If you're not happy with your display yet, experiment with the different filters.

Reply 2 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dress Daggerfall up like the guy below to make Daggerfall look FABULOUS!

Attachments

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 4, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You should definitely update to .72 just on general principle (it's performance is substantially higher in Daggerfall for one thing).

How much 'better' a game looks with shaders is largely subjective. Any way you look at it the shader is approximating information that just isn't there, so it isn't more ACCURATE, it's just adding information that can (possibly) make the display look cleaner.

So you just have to try the different shaders and see which ones you like. Also, make sure you have the right aspect ratio. That's about it - Daggerfall is always going to look pretty crappy with 2d sprites, just the way it is. Doesn't make it a crappy game though.

-Frob