VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by purpletentacle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did a search and found no solution to my problem.

I am playing Discworld (original) and am unable to save my game. I open the menu and choose save, type in a name, and click the checkmark, but when I return to 'Load game' there are no saved games listed.

Any ideas?

I am running WinXP. I assume vid and sound info is not important.

Many thanks to anyone who can help.

Reply 1 of 6, by ^scrye^

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I don't know if it helps but some time ago I have the same problem with saving...

My problem has been solved by making dir called "SAVE" (I hope so) in game directory.

I hope it helps in any way ;o)

Reply 4 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by purpletentacle I am playing Discworld (original) and am unable to save my game. I open the menu and choose save, type in a name, and click the checkmark, but when I return to 'Load game' there are no saved games listed.

Well, you're not the only one with the problem.

Seems some have it, others don't. The only thing I can think of at the moment, is that maybe it doesn't like NTFS drives.

If someone who has the original CD, NTFS and FAT32 partitions; they could test this theory for us.

Reply 5 of 6, by CatKiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This was a common problem that I had to contact Psygnosis about. Sadly they are no longer with us. As you may be aware, Discworld shipped with a huge number of bugs. The cd version came with a patch floppy to fix some of them, although they neglected to include this with the floppy version.

One of the bugs is that unless you install the game to the default path, you cannot save the game. With an estimated 72 hours of gameplay (IIRC), this is obviously sub-optimal.

Another bug you should be aware of is that there is a certain point in the game, during a cutscene, that the game will in all probability crash. There is no way of getting past this point unless you contact Psygnosis for a savegame of just past this point. As I mentioned, Psygnosis no longer exist, having been bought by Sony and then destroyed, earth salted, etc. The only thing I can think of is to try to find someone with this savegame to get them to give it to you. Sadly I cannot help in this regard as my copy disappeared in an ex-girlfriend-related black hole some six years ago.

FWIW, I HTH.

Reply 6 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by CatKiller One of the bugs is that unless you install the game to the default path, you cannot save the game. With an estimated 72 hours of gameplay (IIRC), this is obviously sub-optimal.

Ow...something to remember.

Another bug you should be aware of is that there is a certain point in the game, during a cutscene, that the game will in all probability crash. There is no way of getting past this point unless you contact Psygnosis for a savegame of just past this point.

Interesting I found this FAQ with similar info.

Interesting is the info about the versions:

There are five versions of the full game, and two demos.. I've not seen a Mac Discworld demo around. These versions are: 1: The […]
Show full quote

There are five versions of the full game, and two demos.. I've not seen a Mac Discworld demo around. These versions are:

1: The PC floppy version, currently with no patch available. This is currently the only floppy version available. There is no patch available for this version.

2: The PC CD Version 1. This was the first version of Discworld to be released, and was quite buggy. It has been superseded by Version 2.

3: The PC CD-ROM Version 2. Discworld: The Directors Cut. This is a completely fixed version of the Discworld version 1.. With virtually every bug removed. If you've bought Discworld 1 within the last couple of years, you'll have this version.

4: The Apple Mac version: This is more or less the Mac version of the Directors cut, with the extra graphics, and bug fixes of the PC CD version 2. Unfortunately, it's not being distributed any more, so you'll have a job hunting down a copy.

5: The PC CD-ROM Version 3. Discworld: The Director's other cut. This is a third version of thePC-CDROM Discworld game. It has had the final few glitches fixed, and is apparently flawless. In the US, some copies of Discworld 2 come with Discworld 1 version 3 included, and this version may also be the version that has been released on Psygnosis' Argentium budget range - I'll try and check this out.

There are also 2 demo versions. Version 1, the older version is a small demo centred around the problem of getting the fishmongers belt.

The second version is a CD demo, containing the part of the first Act set inside the Unseen University, and has all the speech to match. It is also almost bugless.. This is available on several PC magazine CD coverdisks.. Including the June 1995 Issue of PC Format.

Funny part is I've never heard of these "Director's Cut" versions.

Hrmm...