Rank

Motherboard: ACPI x86-based

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4400 @ 2.00GHz 2.00Ghz

Ram: 3326MB

Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT SuperClock 512MB

Sound: 2 Locationed Internal High Definition Audio 7.1 Onboard SSD

Game: Descent 1

Description:
Allo! I've got Descent 1, managed to get it to work and wanted to try a Lan game with my brother 😈
But! I had an error saying no IPX drivers found -- got that fixed from the config settings.

The problem I am having though, is when I click "Start a network game..." or "Join a network game..." it goes though the things I need to set in starting one, after that's done, both then start to load and then take me back to the command line interface, not sure why.

Any suggestions and/or ideas to fix said muck-up? 😜

Reproducibility: Always.

Sound Mode: Sound Blaster 16/AWE32

Video Mode: Default (Not fullscreen) - High Graphic Detail.

Version: DosBox 0.71, DosBox 0.72

Steps taken:
Read and followed Readme (exept removing content from config.sys in C:\ Directory.
Tried running in compatibility mode (XP and Vista).
Tried installing Hamachi (Suggested in another thread).

Reply 1 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Read the .......... README !!!!!

In particular the section on IPXNET STARTSERVER, IPXNET CONNECT and IPXNET PING.

And no Hamachi please.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 11, by Amedeus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😦 I did read the readme =) Bottom of my first post -- And I tried Hamachi because it was suggested, but it didn't help 😒 So I am asking for assistance, something I haven't thought of? 😅

Reply 3 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Nobody can tell what you have thought of - unless they have a magic crystal ball.

But if you tell us what you did with the IPXNET commands, both on your PC and your brothers PC, then maybe we can see what you did wrong.

What is the result of an IPXNET PING ?

Can you do a 2-player game if your start 2 instances of DOSBox on the same machine?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 11, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah a full tutorial on network connectivity (including a quick rundown on routers, firewalls, etc.) is probably too much. For pete's sake, if you have a problem, then _DESCRIBE_ it instead of saying "it doesn't work". You could start by describing how you want to run the game (LAN/WAN), and what exactly you are doing (DOSBox settings, command line, etc.).

Or you might just use one of the Descent source ports. Search VOGONS, there are threads with links. Might be easier for networking than using DOSBox.

Reply 5 of 11, by Amedeus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alrighty -- I didn't realise you had to manually tell it to connect via ipxnet -- so before, I explained to the best I understood, problem now solved though. Thanks MiniMax 😀 You mentioned something I didn't think of x)

I played the game when I was younger, and never had to set anything like that so I guess I didn't think DosBox needed anything entered, my mistake!

Reply 6 of 11, by donadavs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HI THERE...

I used IPXNET STARTSERVER on one of my pcs and tried IPXNET CONNECT 127.0.0.1 (the supposed address on CPU 1) on another one in my network but it couldn't connect. I tried typing the UDP port after the IP address (127.0.0.1 213), but I'm not sure I got the syntax right I'm not really a big DOSer but I really want to play Descent with my friend CO-OP via IPX. Please help.

And yes... I've read the README. It doesn't say much about having a router, other than I need to forward the UDP port, but I don't know what that means.

Thanks

pff

Reply 7 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you trying to network 2 DOSBox sessions on one PC or DOSBox one one PC with another DOSBox on another PC?

The reason I ask is because you mentioned using 127.0.0.1 which is a local loopback IP. When you use 127.0.0.1 your talking to yourself.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 11, by donadavs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah thats probably what I'm doing...

I know little about networks IPs and all that.

I'm using 2 PCs with DOSBox on each and I'm trying to get them connected, I figure at that point I'll be able to start the game and have one start a game and have to other see it, join and play. But I can't even get them to connect in DOSbox...

pff

Reply 10 of 11, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

127.0.0.1 always refers to "this computer". If you have two computers, PC1 and PC2, on PC1, 127.0.0.1 means PC1, and on PC2, 127.0.0.1 means PC2 - obviously you cannot connect to another computer with that address. You have to find out the IP address of the host computer (the one where you run IPXNET STARTSERVER) and use that IP address on the client computers to connect to it (using IPXNET CONNECT ipaddress).

One way to find out the assigned IP address of a Windows computer is to launch a command prompt (Start->Run->cmd.exe [enter]), type ipconfig, hit enter, and look up the address.

Another thing preventing a computer from connecting to another is a firewall. You have to allow Dosbox to send and receive UDP traffic on all the computers that take part in the network game.

If the computers have a NAT device between them, you'll need to do port forwarding and use the NAT device's IP, but you can google for an explanation of that and it shouldn't concern you if both computers are on the same local area network (i.e. there is no IP router between them).

Recap:
1) Choose one computer to be a server.
2) Find out that computer's IP using IPCONFIG.
3) Start Dosbox on that computer with ipx=true in the config file.
4) Type IPXNET STARTSERVER in that computer's Dosbox prompt.
5) Start Dosbox (ipx=true) on the other computers that take part and type IPXNET CONNECT ipaddress on the dosbox prompt, where you replace ipaddress with the address that you found out in step #2.
6) Start the multiplayer game on all the partaking computers and play.