VOGONS

First post, by Mr.Smiley4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I tried to play this game I found called Strike Commander today, and they cursor moves in one direction. I then read the readme, and turned timed off. That fixed the cursor problem, but now the joystick won't work in game. But the strange thing is that it works in the menus. Another thing is that I can't access the in-game setting because the shortcut for the options menu doesn't work.

I've never had joystick problems in any game before, and no mater what I set the emulation to, I still have the same problem. Please help me. I've tried everything I can think of, and nothing works.

Reply 1 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Maybe you could post some information about your system? If it is not against your religion or something...

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 6, by Mr.Smiley4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AMD Athlon 64 X2 (socket 939; 2.2 GHz)

1GB (512MB x2) DDR 400 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT (256 MB RAM; GDDR 3; 128-bit memory interface)

Windows XP Home Edition SP2

DirectX 9.0c

Integrated sound card (Realtek AC97)

Soundblaster 16 emulation (DMA 1, IRQ 5, sbbase 220)

Reply 3 of 6, by Nornus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

These early 3d games by Origin were bleeding edge tech at the time and were a pain to run even with a top of the line rig. It's still a bit easier playing them in Dosbox though.

Try editing your dosbox.cfg joystick settings to this:

joysticktype=4axis
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=true

Also:
alt-o opens the option menu

alt-J will start the prog that recalibrates your joystick in game.

Reply 5 of 6, by Nornus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

By sluggish are you talking about the joystick response or the game fps?
If fps try changing the core to dynamic or normal(it's probably set to auto now). I can't remember which one runs Strike Commander better.

core=normal
cycles=auto
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

or

core=dynamic
cycles=auto
cycleup=500
cycledown=20