VOGONS

Common searches

Can't launch mapper/keymapper

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by huiope

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have some trouble with my french apple extended keyboard and a game running inside DOSBox.

The game itself doesn't allow to rebind keys but use many and some I cannot reproduce inside DOSBox like the '\'.

I search various solutions, in those forums and elsewhere and couldn't find anything satisfying.

Currently I'm using DOSBox 0.72 in OSX 10.5.2. usually I'm using a setup with keyb fr 850 for a rough mapping of my keyboard but it's very rough.

The best solution for me could be to use the internal DOSBox key mapper but Ctrl-F1 doesn't launch it and I don't see how to launch it, inside DOSBox keymapper or mapper rusn nothing.

Could you help on that or suggest another solution about non us apple keyboard mapping in DOSBox?

Reply 2 of 12, by huiope

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fix what? Better covering of the multiple apple keyboards or fix to give a way to launch the mapper? So no way to launch the mapper? That is weird.

I got an idea, launch the mapper in windows, it's the same keyboard, then get the config to use in osx. Any chance this is working?

Reply 3 of 12, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
huiope wrote:

I got an idea, launch the mapper in windows, it's the same keyboard, then get the config to use in osx. Any chance this is working?

Should work, because it's the same file format.

If your keyboard has a Fn key, press it additionally. Fn+Ctrl+F1

If that also doesn't work, try the same in fullscreen mode.

Klimawandel.

Reply 5 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Some times I need a wd-translator.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

huiope - if the problem is with the internal KEYB command in DOSBox, you might want to try the KEYB program (and keyboard files) from FreeDOS. That is what I used before wd implemented KEYB in DOSBox.

Topic 14587
Re: loading dvorak keyboard

Reply 9 of 12, by huiope

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all for the help and a bit more for those who contribute to DOSBox and a bit more for those who contribute to the OSX version! 😁

My problem here is multiple :
1 - keyb supporting multiple apple keyboards through DOSBox
2 - French keyboard, that doesn't help.
3 - French Apple keyboard it's an added complexity
4 - Not be able to launch the keymapper in DOSBox OSX

Well for the game I gave up and used the us keyboard mapping (keyb us) and wrote the list of commands in the text file I always keep open when I play the game. I'll wait next version of DOSBox OSX for something more smoother with keyboard.

I hope this next version will also allow to use the keymapper, that can be cool with some games even with a perfect mapping of my keyboard. A typical problem is a key that requires some modifier key not required on DOS and this modifier key in interpreted by the game as a command. Then in most DOS game if you try get the special key involving the modifier you only trigger the command setup to the modifier key and this disable the other command.

Reply 11 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Moved