VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

(from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia of the year A.D. 802,701)

VOGON
noun, plural : vogons
Related forms : vog on, vog off, v**k off (obsolete)

Mythical software, or computer program, aimed at letting users have a nice and free time and improve understanding of computer science and history.

Its invention is traditionally ascribed to the age-old hero G. Dierre, where G stands for "genius", possibly hinting at the cult of Wile E. Coyote, inventor and genius, longtime deity of the lost Road Runners peoples, while Dierre, according to some Alpine dialects, is equivalent to "He who relished thousands of G-spots", but some disagreeing scholars choose to interpret as "MoFo" or M*t*erf*c*er.
Our sources are unfortunately far from being complete.

As the legend has it, G. Dierre would have been spreading the vogon through the intervention of a group of disciples, among them noticeable were Qbix, Harekiet, wd, Dosfreak, Linux and Gnu (probably a reminiscence of an earlier totemic hunting cult).
These disciples are always depicted working at the commandline and living in a "dosbox" or "podbox".
Podbox reminds one of the ancient iPod adoration, which would take the story back to the era of the Apple worship - see below.
Dosbox, albeit less likely and now abandoned by most historians, might be a cryptical innuendo to the so called "denial of service" attack rituals.

This dosbox or podbox in some accounts is viewed as a true box shaped venue, a sort of magic cave, maybe akin to the mysterious tesseract, sung by the contemporary bard Robert A. Heinlein

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22%E2%80%94And_ … use%E2%80%94%22

Heinlein, incidentally, is also credited with the first implementation of the Tanstaafl framework
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanstaafl
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_Is_a_Harsh_Mistress

The problem of the Apple adoration must remain open to question.
By some authors, the worshippers would eat an apple fruit, but in other scholars' opinion, they had to swallow a whole apple tree !
It's well known that the Apple saga ended when the godlike hero William, armed with his frightening proprietary Micro software, wrecked the apple tree off the holy ground and smashed it through an infinite series of nice enameled windows, as the warped Linux aka Snoopy (he was to be glorified afterwards in the antics Peanux Comix eschatology) was acting as the Server, unabashedly smirking out of his hub.

In a poetical, edifying, but probably spurious fanciful final twist, the vogon myth records that G. Dierre, sensing his end approaching, in his nineties (A.D. 2008) eventually cracked up and before finding a horrible demise by the giga bites of furious mice and modems (probably a sort of carnivorous moles) would have confessed to have been living a lie and faked it all and denied his tale, revealing that actually it was the dosbox/podbox people who really had created the vogon.

This arguably sham ending, most researchers ever refused to credit, with the remarkable exception of the learned Dr. JNAE-MOV-NOP and his follower, Professor Heck-SkipAd!, mostly renowned for their cuttin' edge study, DNA analysis of genomic covariance between Guybrush Threepwood and Chewbacca's descendants.

As the saga goes, in his last, tragic, delirious jabbering, G. Dierre allegedly confessed to having only taken part at times in some fireside chats at the vogon's "Forum"...

About this Forum issue, see the Archaeology section, under : New findings at the digging site in Rome, the Roman Forum.
Unfortunately, no excavation could unearth any exhibit of an artifact similar to what our sources define as disks or drives, either hard or floppy ones (don't miss the heavy sexual undertones thereof), hence the general consensus that the very concept of "cvs" has to remain an enigma.
Same goes for the "disassembling" and "debugging" rites, by some temptatively related to sanitation practices.

---------------------------------

Whew, what an article I had to transcribe !
Hope I coorect%d ahh thet yps? I m'ad

Don't let me forget to mention my inspirational sources :

William Tenn, The Discovery of Morniel Mathaway (1955)
Robert Sheckley, Plague Circuit (1971)
and lastbutnotleast,
Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad or The New Pilgrims' Progress (1868)

with a special quotation from the latter :

"After browsing among the stately ruins of Rome, of Baiae, of Pompeii, and after glancing down the long marble ranks of battered and nameless imperial heads that stretch down the corridors of the Vatican, one thing strikes me with a force it never had before: the unsubstantial, unlasting character of fame. Men lived long lives, in the olden time, and struggled feverishly through them, toiling like slaves, in oratory, in generalship, or in literature, and then laid them down and died, happy in the possession of an enduring history and a deathless name.
Well, twenty little centuries flutter away, and what is left of these things? A crazy inscription on a block of stone, which snuffy antiquaries bother over and tangle up and make nothing out of but a bare name (which they spell wrong), no history, no tradition, no poetry, nothing that can give it even a passing interest.

What may be left of General Grant's great name forty centuries hence? This article in the Encyclopedia for A. D. 5868, possibly:

"URIAH S. (or Z.) GRAUNT : popular poet of ancient times in the Aztec provinces of the United States of British America.
Some authors say flourished about A. D. 742; but the learned Ah-ah Foo-foo states that he was a contemporary of Scharkspyre, the English poet, and flourished about A. D. 1328, some three centuries after the Trojan war instead of before it.
He wrote 'Rock me to Sleep, Mother.'"

These thoughts sadden me. I will go to bed
."

...kiss you goodnight, Mr. Twain.

Last edited by gidierre on 2014-08-09, 13:53. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by djp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Read today with great pleasure and multiple LOLs!

Edit: Er, that's "L O L's", in English, as opposed to happyfaces.

Never try to outstubborn a cat. - Lazarus Long

Reply 2 of 2, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
djp wrote:

Read today with great pleasure

Thanks for reading.

There were some more wiki subpages, you know, that were trimmed out to keep it short and avoid pesky post buffer overflows or something like that.

Like :

What the physical size of the dos/podbox really was has been the object of many an academical discussion.
It cannot have been a little place, as it must have hosted all the people, plus their families, unless they were a very tight sect like the old Essenes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essenes
or a male only community like the Greek monks living in the Holy Community of the Holy Mountain on the Holy Mount Athos of my holy *****
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Athos
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Athos#Proh … entry_for_women

We also know the dosbox ought to have contained an indeterminate number of the murky "cvs builds", probably a gallery of little private altars for the benefit of the members' religious services, much like the ancient Romans had their Lares little temples for their household gods (the genius loci concept).

-------

All the tales we have consistently talk of a crystal clear open source flowing inside the box or nearby.
Generally it's understood this is the metaphorical counterpart of the fountain of youth legend
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_of_Youth

but it is probably worth remembering that by some scholars, given the very insistence of all the accounts that linger on the extreme open-ness and availability of the "source", this might well per absurdum be a precise, opposite hint to the extreme secrecy and intricacies of all activities who would usually have taken place all around, within and without the "box".