VOGONS

First post, by DeliciousDemon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use dosbox on both my laptop (1,7 ghz, 2 gb ram, windows xp) and my desktop (2,4 ghz core 2 duo, 3 gb ram, windows vista), and I use the newest version on both. Furthermore, I use different mice (heh) on the two computers.

The problem goes like this...
Constructor starts alright - I haven't encountered speed problems or anything like that - but the mouse cursor moves weirdly. I'd say that moving up and down is pretty much normal speed, but moving left and right is probably half speed or even less. It doesn't make much sense to me, and I don't know what setting I should mess with to change something like this. In other games I've played in dosbox, this is not an issue at all.

Have any of you encountered the same problem, and what did you do to fix it if that is the case? If you haven't, what would you imagine that this problem was caused by?

- DD

Reply 1 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I don't know what might be causing the difference in axial acceleration/sensitivity, but whatever the case may be, you can probably use MOUSE2KV to achieve better results by playing with the settings until you're happy.

Mouse2KV By Vlad R. & Peter

It was originally intended to help with running games in the Win2K/XP NTVDM, but it works nicely in DOSBox to alter axial mouse acceleration as well.

Reply 2 of 10, by Euler314

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm bumping this because I've encountered the same problem, and MOUSE2KV doesn't seem to work with Constructor. I don't think there's a problem with how I'm trying to use it, as it works fine with, say, Ascendancy. So - is there some way to make MOUSE2KV work with Constructor, or some other solution to the problem? Thanks.

Reply 3 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

MOUSE2KV doesn't always work. If there is no effect on the game in question, my guess is that it isn't installing a callback handler through the mouse driver, which MOUSE2KV relies on.

DOSBox has a mouse sensitivity setting in the conf file, which I believe is directly used with setting the sensitivity in SDL; however it is used equally for both horizontal and vertical sensitivity. Also, the emulated mouse driver in DOSBox supports the INT 33/001A function for changing axial sensitivity, but it could be tricky to use if the game is setting its own values (and not providing a way to alter them).

I've created a program based on the MOUSE2KV source that is focused on changing axial mouse acceleration. It alters the motion counters read via INT 33/000B, and thus does not depend on an installed callback handler. The executable and Borland C source are in the attached archive.

Usage: MOUSEX xspeed yspeed filename.ext

The X and Y values are percentages of normal speed, so you can increase as well as decrease acceleration. A value of 100 leaves the speed unaltered. Be careful when using decreases, as it can make the mouse very difficult to use if decreased too much; but a value of 0 will not be accepted and results in an error exit. The filename is the program file to execute with the altered acceleration.

Just to be clear, you don't need this if you want to change overall mouse acceleration in DOSBox; use the sensitivity setting in the conf file for that. This utility is only useful for different axial accelerations on games that seem to need it.

Try it out with this Constructor game. If it's effective, report back with the values that work best for you.

Attachments

• Filename
    MOUSEX.ZIP
    File size
    8.6 KiB
    Downloads
    3015 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 10, by Euler314

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! This works perfectly. Looks like I won't need to bring down my Dos PC from the attic after all. Please accept my eternal gratitude for your assistance.

Doubling the x-speed gives a natural-feeling result, but I'll do some more experimentation to find out what's best.

Reply 5 of 10, by Euler314

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so it looks like sensitivity=1000, xspeed=20, yspeed=10 gives good results (apparently increasing sensitivity and decreasing the values for MOUSEX makes the motion smoother).

By the way, your phrase "this Constructor game" seems to suggest you are not sufficiently familiar with it. For what it's worth, I do wholeheartedly recommend it.

Thanks again!

Reply 6 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You'd expect multiplying and then dividing by 10 to cancel out with simple linear acceleration, so that sensitivity setting is apparently doing more than just that. A higher sample rate would account for it seeming smoother.

BTW, an additional "feature" of MOUSEX is using negative speeds to invert motion.

Reply 7 of 10, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ripsaw8080 wrote:

I don't know what might be causing the difference in axial acceleration/sensitivity, but whatever the case may be, you can probably use MOUSE2KV to achieve better results by playing with the settings until you're happy.

Mouse2KV By Vlad R. & Peter

It was originally intended to help with running games in the Win2K/XP NTVDM, but it works nicely in DOSBox to alter axial mouse acceleration as well.

Thanks, ill give that a try with Dungeon Keeper 1. It is the most annoying thing in the game 😜 and I know why it does it too, it is a resolution of 640x400 instead of 480 >.>

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 8 of 10, by MrGodman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How can I change the sensitivity?

You sad that sensitivity=1000 is good, but I can only change X and Y speed. And that is my problem, cause the mouse is too fast, or too slow but horrible to move.

Reply 10 of 10, by MrGodman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you very much for the reply, and the MP.

Anyway I didn't manage to fix the mouse problem. With this configuration it gets better but still not good enough.
Them I installed the game with Dosbox on Linux and now its working perfectly!