VOGONS

First post, by PrinceEdward

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have several games that need to switch between CD's to complete the game. It's a Mac, so you can't press a button to eject a disc. You have to tell the computer to.

And when you minimize the game to tell the computer to eject the disk, it won't let you because it wants you to quit the application because the disk is being used.

In future versions of dosbox, could there be an option to override the program and request that the CD be ejected?

Or this this able to be done already?

Thanks for everything! DosBox is amazing!!

Reply 2 of 9, by PrinceEdward

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, so I read everything I could, and I can get one iso to mount on the line, using this:

z:imgmount d "/volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/perky/FAKE CDROMS/Discworld2/DW2CD1ENG.iso" -t iso

This works like a charm! Dosbox (on a Mac) needs to have the z: and the " " around the path name in order to work. Otherwise, it won't work at all. It will say it cannot find the image file. As in the following code:

z:imgmount d /volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/perky/FAKE CDROMS/Discworld2/DW2CD1ENG.iso -t iso

So that works and is great. BUT...

When I try to add another iso to the line, it doesn't work. If I use the following command line, it will say that it can't find the image file.

z:imgmount d "/volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/perky/FAKE CDROMS/Discworld2/DW2CD1ENG.iso" "/volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/perky/FAKE CDROMS/Discworld2/DW2CD2ENG.iso" -t iso

If I enclose both within the parenthesis, as in use the following codeline, it will say "The image must be on a host or local drive." As so:

z:imgmount d "/volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/perky/FAKE CDROMS/Discworld2/DW2CD1ENG.iso /volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/perky/FAKE CDROMS/Discworld2/DW2CD2ENG.iso" -t iso

I would appreciate any help I can get. Figuring this stuff out is kinda fun, but I am stuck! I have tried everything!

THANKS!

Reply 3 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

try a shorter path.
so have the images at a shorter location and/or use ~ to get rid of some of the long paths. Dos (and hence dosbox) doesn't like very long commandlines.

I considering hacking the dos commandline to allow longer commandlines for mount and imgmount as it seems more and more people run into this ancient dostype limit.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 9, by PrinceEdward

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you so much. I ended up shortening the path... the lowest it goes is /volumes/macintosh hd/ and it worked. This is really a remarkable program.

Anyway, I was big into DOS adventure games back in the day. I was reading that the programmers weren't Mac people.. and being a convert, if you need help or want somebody to test stuff on Mac DosBox or its relation to Dapplegrey, I would love to help you if I can.

Thanks again!

Reply 5 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Edward, you might want to experiment with the tilde (~) shortcut. ~ is an established convention in the Unix/Linux/MacOSX world for referring to the current users home directory. So (assuming your user name is "perky") the command:

imgmount D "~/FAKE CDROMS/Discworld2/DW2CD1ENG.iso" -t iso

would be equivalent to:

imgmount D "/volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/perky/FAKE CDROMS/Discworld2/DW2CD1ENG.iso" -t iso

Rename the Discworld2 folder to DW2 and you can make it even shorter:

imgmount D "~/FAKE CDROMS/DW2/DW2CD1ENG.iso" -t iso

That you need the Z: in front of the the imgmount must be some misconfiguration on your part (or that Dapplegrey frontend), some mucking around with the PATH setting in DOSBox.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 9, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:
: […]
Show full quote

:

imgmount D "~/FAKE CDROMS/Discworld2/DW2CD1ENG.iso" -t iso

would be equivalent to:

imgmount D "/volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/perky/FAKE CDROMS/Discworld2/DW2CD1ENG.iso" -t iso

That you need the Z: in front of the the imgmount must be some misconfiguration on your part (or that Dapplegrey frontend), some mucking around with the PATH setting in DOSBox.

I was true to store my DOS programs inside a Disk Copy (*.dmg) image and to mount it to the Finder before running DOSBox and mount this "drive" to the DOSBox as drive C.

I've to look into the ~ issue and have the frontend to detect if some pathes include the home user dir to short my command lines in the future.

I also notized the z: issue, but I think it's just not included in the path lines by default.

Klimawandel.

Reply 7 of 9, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks to MiniMax, i see, the orignal path setting when starting DOSBox is

PATH=Z:\

In the AUTOEXEC section, if the user sets a complete different path, the original setting will be overwritten, so MiniMax notified me how to append pathes to the PATH environment:

Z:\> PATH=%PATH%;C:\DOS

This example adds c:/DOS to the current path setting.

Klimawandel.

Reply 9 of 9, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PrinceEdward wrote:

Thanks for everyone's help. It's been awesome.

😀

I should re-write depending parts in the frontend, since I got the same problem from its beginning:

Z:\> PATH=%PATH%;C:\DOS

I think, a separate path line in the AUTOEXEC section of the frontend is a goold idea, in co-operation to send the %path% command instead of path= command to DOSBox.

Klimawandel.