VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Aspie_Boi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Don't really play this one much but I want to have the satisfaction of knowing I can get all my dos games working in XP. 😜

The DOS version of the game installs but when I try and run it with VDMSound and nolfb it freezes at the dragon logo screen.

The Windows version runs but crashes on the charecter select screen with the following error:

Application Error: MKTRILW.EXE

A privileged instruction was excecuted at address 004d5f0c

Then the debugger crashes with:

dwwin.exe

The exception Breakpoint
A breakpoint has been reached.
(0x80000003) occured in the application at location 0x77f767cd

I seem to remember MK Tril being very picky about video cards when I had it on my old Win95 system. Both the dos and windows versions crash when you try and run the video configuration programs.

Has anyone had any sucess getting this title to run? If so can you give me a few pointers. Thanks

Windows XP Pro SP1

Reply 1 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Aspie_Boi The DOS version of the game installs but when I try and run it with VDMSound and nolfb it freezes at the dragon logo screen.

The Windows version runs but crashes on the charecter select screen with the following error:

Added to my list of "Find-and-test" games.

Reply 2 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok. Found and tested.
*woof*
The first bad sign is that I needed NOLFB just to run the DOS INSTALL program. The second is that UVCONFIG shows up as part of the installation.

*ugh* UniVBE again...

Sure enough, the game is tied to it and doesn't want to run solely on the basis that UniVBE doesn't identify my video card as valid. Other than hacking the executable, I don't see how to fix that.

Next, I tried the Windows version. Installed fine. Started up fine (had a message about poor performance for displays above 16-bit color depth though). Everything was fine right up to the moment any kind of "Kombat" was about to take place. It then crashed with an unhandled exception error.

Attempts at using "compatibility mode" (Windows 95, 98, etc...) caused it to crash much sooner, with error "Unable to link to Kernel32.DLL" and "Cannot load WDIRxxF.DLL" errors.

Another bad sign is presence of UVCONFIG (again) and WCONFIG.EXE; meaning that again the programmers intended on UniVBE to be used...even for the Windows version.

Fortunately (I think...) some MKT fans came up with a patch.
http://www.gametalk.com/talk/pc/mortal_kombat … logy/tips01.htm
(The version I tested came from the "FINALY I HAVE MODIFIED A FIX TO MAKE MK TRILOGY WORK UNDER WINXP WITHOUT SP1 " thread).

Unfortunately, it's more of a hack. Seems to work properly, but it also seems to have placed 2 of my IDE channels into permanent PIO mode (instead of DMA). Recommend you create a "Restore Point" before attempting to test this "patch".

Reply 6 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Aspie_Boi The IDE channels have been unaffected on my PC

Hrmm...Well that's good news I guess... Odd that mine and that other guy's were changed. Might have been one of the other things I was testing that triggered it...