VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Franklinsteiner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I record a video using dosbox, the avi file that gets created afterwards doesn't show any picture and only the sound can be heard.

Reply 1 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Look for the README.txt file in the DOSBox-0.72\zmbv folder.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 10, by NotaCodeMonkey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, uh, I'm having the same problem and only have a basic understanding about any of this stuff. I read the README but didn't get anything about it. I can record my session but I only get the sound. I'm playing the files in Window's Media Player. If you need more information, ask for it, I'll try to get it to you.

Reply 3 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Right-clicking on the zmbv.inf file and select Install.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 10, by NotaCodeMonkey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, thank you sooooooooo much. I love childhood memories... I am having another minor problem. I saw some solutions but can't remember what they were. When I am recording my game is glitchy, how do I fix this?

Again, thank you soooo much!

Reply 5 of 10, by the fall guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I intalled the codec that came with dos-box 0.72 on my comp (Win98SE) and it looks ok (that is it shows up in the video-codec-list at the multimedia device control panel as it should).

However, when I try to replay a captured avi with the media player or some other video player there's always an error message that goes like "MMSYSTEM618 unknown error occured during video playback".

The only solution that works so far is to use RAD video tools that can't display but read the file and save it using a different codec, but that's a bit annoying.

Any ideas, anyone?

Reply 6 of 10, by the fall guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Me again. I finally found out that changing the display color depth from 16 to 32 bit solved the problem 😊

If I hadn't noticed by chance that the capture file colors was 24bit I'd never thought of that being the cause. Boy am I lame!

Reply 7 of 10, by NevadaDimitri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm gonna post this here instead of starting a new topic, since it seems relevant.

The first time I tried capturing video, the file seemed to get saved fine. I found it and opened it in WMP but got the error for the missing codec. I installed the codec without any trouble. Then I went back to the folder with the movie and it was deleted! So I captured another video in DOSBox, looked in the folder... no file! What's going on? Every time I record video—and, yes, I'm remembering to press Ctrl-Alt-F5 again to stop recording—it says it's being captured, along with the file name, but it's not showing up in the folder.

The README doesn't have any info on this, and I haven't found any topics yet discussing this problem.

Reply 8 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your using Vista then make sure that you either run DosBox as Admin or make sure that the capture folder has write permissions for the User account.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 10, by NevadaDimitri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh... duh... Why didn't I think of that...

But that still doesn't explain how I was able to load and play the video the first time, and then a minute later it was gone. 😒