VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, here is something for the voodoo doctors:

I try to play Archimedean Dynasty (aka "Schleichfahrt") with a voodoo2 - but no matter what I do, it doesn't work, nor under plain DOS 6.2, neither within the dos mode of WIN98SE. The farest I could go was to replace the original glide2x.ovl of the game with the glide2x.ovl that came with the 3dfx reference drivers (ovl date: 12-16-1999, glide2x.dll version: 2.56). The game starts normally without 3dfx splash screen but also without the well known "no voodoo card" detected message into its main svga menu. Then I choose a training mission, but as soon as the game shifts from the briefing into the "3d-action-screen" it freezes.

Here are my current system specs: ECS P6BAT-A+ with Via C3 700 CPU 128MB , Diamond Viper 770 Ultra, Diamond Voodoo2 8mb; soundcards: EWS64XL (Win98 & Dos); Diamond Monstersound MX300 (WIN98 only); Ensoniq Soundscape Elite (DOS only), Saitek Cyborg 2000 Joystick

A hardware conflict seems unlikely, the game worked fine with a voodoo 1 installed.

I searched the internet and various forums and there were people saying, that it doesn't work, while others said it works without problems. Unfortunately the last group doesn't say HOW.

So I would appreciate every detailed answer, especially which (glide-) files to use, and where to put them. Thanks!

Last edited by Silent Loon on 2008-03-26, 13:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

for what it is worth
the game works in the glide emulation guilikoza created for dosbox. So you might want to contact him as he debugged the game a few times.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 14, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qbix wrote:

the game works in the glide emulation guilikoza created for dosbox. So you might want to contact him as he debugged the game a few times.

I assumed that something like this exists, but for now I would prefer to use the old hardware for the old game.

Reply 4 of 14, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'm not suggesting that you use dosbox. I suggest that you ask guilikoza for more information as he debugged the game in order to get it working with dosbox. So he might know what for tricks and weird things it does.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 14, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh! ... I will do that...

... the idea was good... the answer came quick... but unfortunately gulikoza has no solution either.

Maybe somebody else?

In detail it would be helpful to know:

- if the game needs a specific version of the glide2x.ovl (and the glide2x.dll?) to run
- which files have to be where - especially in DOS
- if it is necessary to use a special *.bat file / sst environment variables to make the voodoo2 voodoo1 compatible (like sometimes with early win95 games)

Reply 6 of 14, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hurray!

I finally got it working! 🙄 Here is how:

- I deleted the glidex.ovl that came with the game and replaced it with one of an early voodoo2 3dfx reference driver kit, namely glide version 2.50, dated 4-3-1998.

- I created a batch file, containing the following lines:

SET SSTV2_FASTMEM=1
SET SSTV2_FASTPCIRD=1
SET FX_GLIDE_ALLOC_COLOR=2
sf3dfx.exe

In fact I do not know what it exactly means, it was just trial and error. But the last line reffers to the triple color buffering of the voodoo2 the game seems to have problems with. If it is set to 3 (on?) it doesn't even start at all.

Hope that will help everyone who stumbles over this problem like me.

Reply 7 of 14, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Silent Loon wrote:
- I created a batch file, containing the following lines: […]
Show full quote

- I created a batch file, containing the following lines:

SET SSTV2_FASTMEM=1
SET SSTV2_FASTPCIRD=1
SET FX_GLIDE_ALLOC_COLOR=2
sf3dfx.exe

I might be late replying, but here's a full list of Voodoo transitional variables --that is, the variables to run "Voodoo 1-only" games on Voodoo2.

set SST_GRXCLK=90 set SST_FT_CLK_DEL=0x4 set SST_TF0_CLK_DEL=0x6 set SST_TF1_CLK_DEL=0x6 set SST_VIN_CLKDEL=0x1 set SST_VOU […]
Show full quote

set SST_GRXCLK=90
set SST_FT_CLK_DEL=0x4
set SST_TF0_CLK_DEL=0x6
set SST_TF1_CLK_DEL=0x6
set SST_VIN_CLKDEL=0x1
set SST_VOUT_CLKDEL=0x0
set SST_TMUMEM_SIZE=2

Oddly enough, these variables use SST instead of SST_V2. Moreover, none of the variables you are using mentioned as "transitional variables". However, they might be worth a try.

Nonetheless, I think this kind of information deserves to be preserved.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 8 of 14, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ghetto Edit: well, this is my first try to interpret what those "transitional variables" actually mean (from here:

set SST_GRXCLK = 90: Set graphic clock rate to 90 MHz.

set SST_FT_CLK_DEL=0x4: Set the access speed of Frame Buffer memory to 2. However, I don't know what the "2" here means. 2 MHz? 2 cycle per clock? Beat me.

set SST_TF0_CLK_DEL=0x6: Set texture chip 0 memory access in delayed clocks to 0x6. Again, I have no idea what the hell does it mean.

set SST_TF1_CLK_DEL=0x6: same as above, but this one is for texture chip 1.

set SST_VIN_CLKDEL=0x1: set the video in clock delay to 0x1. I have no idea about this one either.

set SST_VOUT_CLKDEL=0x0: same as above, but this one is for video out.

set SST_TMUMEM_SIZE=2: set the amount of texture RAM to 2. Again, I don't know whether it means 2Mb or 2Kb.

If only we can find a complete reference on what those variables actually mean.... 😢

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 9 of 14, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi KAN!

That's what I found on that subject:

http://www.geocities.com/k_lupinsky/Voodoo_SST_FX.htm

But those are the variables for the voodoo 1 I think.
I collected the info for the batch file there:
http://www.3dgw.com/faq/moodys_voodoo2_faq.htm

Here are some informations about voodoo2 commands also - it's a little tutorial called tweak voodoo and you have to download it from 3dfxzone.it : http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/3dfx/voodoo2/tweakers/)

But you're right, there should be some kind of accurate documentation somewhere...

Reply 10 of 14, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Silent Loon wrote:

But those are the variables for the voodoo 1 I think.
I collected the info for the batch file there:
http://www.3dgw.com/faq/moodys_voodoo2_faq.htm

😳 That's the coolest page I've ever seen. Alas, all download links are broken, and when I tried to get those patches manually with command line FTP, I got "Connection closed by remote host" error message.

Reply 11 of 14, by xtal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there! I am also trying to get Archemdian Dynasty running in 3Dfx mode but it seems I am not so lucky with the glide2x.dll... Silent loon could you submit a link to download your glide2x.dll, for example via rapidshare?
I would be very grateful 😀.

Reply 12 of 14, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

xtal: check out Falconfly's Voodoo 2 page. I think the .ovl silent's referring to is included in the 06/04/98 driver release for win9x (first table, third item).

Not sure if there's any benefit in trying later ones, I'll be doing that myself later. The readme indicates it's designed to work with v2.42, so if it works with 2.50 you might be better sticking with that.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 14 of 14, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Handy.

For me in Dosbox using the included glide files works insofar as it loads and gets to the menu, but once I start a mission the screen goes black - probably because I have a Voodoo 5 as my graphics card 😉 And despite their best efforts SFFT et al aren't there yet... I do get sound, mind.

It did set me to wondering whether some sort of pass-through driver would be possible, though. It may have been suggested before (and I suspect given the limited number of Voodoo users these days I'd be on a hiding to nothing asking for it), but it would be a neat idea as a workaround.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem