VOGONS

Common searches

What happened to D-Fend

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know the guy didn't want to continue it, but know D-Fend has disappeared off the face of the planet!

I like D-Fend, I need D_Fend back (after a hard disk crash), where can I get my D-Fend?!

It was the best of the front ends and I never had a problem with it at all. All other front ends seemed to copy it, but always missed out on something or another!

I prefer D-Fend to this DBGL thing too. I do not want to right click on the exe, I want to browse to it, and I want a front end with every single DFend option, DBGL and other's just don't seem to have them all. DBGL, for example, doesn't seem to give me the option of having the setup as well as the game executable in the profile.

So please, if you have D-Fend, leave me a message, and i'll give you my hotmail address that will allow you to send it as an attachment!

I need my D-Fend back!!!

Reply 1 of 33, by bendel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey i have no idea why nobody replied to you....I just heard about this defend thing when i wanted to install my old sierra games. the quest for glory series. Ive tried everything. I need this d-fend apparently ...

DID anybody forward it to you??
CAN YOU PLEASE EMAIL IT TO ME. OR A WORKING LINK

how is it possible that a program that thousands of people have downloaded
has completely disappeared off the face of the earth?

Reply 2 of 33, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I only put up my message a couple days ago, so nothing yet. But this is one of those cases where there were only a couple download sites owned by the author and he never mirrored it to other servers. This meant when he pulled the plug, there was nowhere else to go. Nobody seems to know this yet as even the DOSBox site has a ink for it still, which is obviously dead! 🙁

Reply 6 of 33, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

but, why spend many months developing something then completly remove all traces of its existence from the internet? why does he not just give a copy to someone else to host? he doesnt need to keep it updated.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 8 of 33, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also wonder why he cannot just give it to someone to host it. Why oh why, just because he does not want to support D-Fend any more let it die? It has been updated many times and problems have been solved and new ideas implemented, so it is a stable product now with some great ideas in it and the best and easiest of all front end's which is why, after my hard drive crash, I just automatically wanted D-Fend again without even bothering to see if there were any others!! So I still want D-Fend, and it's only a couple megs of code, so someone could email it to me at my hotmail address - please!!!!

Reply 9 of 33, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, let me get this straight.

D-Fend was a great front-end and it can certainly be used for current DOSBox releases, but keep the following issues in mind:

* Midi configuration was changed so it doesn't work correctly
* Joystick configuration was changed so it doesn't work correctly
* Renaming an existing profile (using the profile editor) breaks it
* Using dots (.) in a profile name breaks it
* Renaming an existing profile changing capitals to lowercase characters or vica versa is not accepted
* Really slow profile list updates when using lots of profiles
* autoexec section gets messy when mounting more than 1 virtual disk on the same physical disk
* 'Accept all Defaults' is buggy
* No multiple DOSBox versions
* No multiconfig file support
* No multiple image spanning
* No way to run a file from off an image
* No physFS
* No automatic capture folder configuration
* No Booter support
* No YKHWong & Gulikoza CVS (svgachipset, shaders and the like) support
* No way to configure dynamic options with spaces (for example cycles=max 80%)
* No support and no open source

Good luck,
Ronald

Attachments

• Filename
    D-Fend-2.0.62.42.zip
    File size
    1.09 MiB
    Downloads
    5367 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    dfend_v2_beta_2.zip
    File size
    629.25 KiB
    Downloads
    3366 downloads
    File license

Reply 10 of 33, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
UK_John wrote:

I do not want to right click on the exe, I want to browse to it. DBGL doesn't seem to give me the option of having the setup as well as the game executable in the profile.

What?

Attachments

• ss.PNG
    Filename
    ss.PNG
    File size
    34.57 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 14 of 33, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
UK_John wrote:

Well the DBGL I downloaded last week didn't have it as far as I saw, but then, I want D-Fend, so I wasn't looking too hard. Why can't I have my D-Fend back after I lost it in my hard drive crash?! Sob sob!

Quit your whining on our forums or you will be baned. Whine on the DFend forums if they are still up. If they aren't then still STFU. Seriously. It's a frontend for crying out loud. Get over it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 33, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rcblanke wrote:
Ok, let me get this straight. […]
Show full quote

Ok, let me get this straight.

D-Fend was a great front-end and it can certainly be used for current DOSBox releases, but keep the following issues in mind:

* Midi configuration was changed so it doesn't work correctly
* Joystick configuration was changed so it doesn't work correctly
* Renaming an existing profile (using the profile editor) breaks it
* Using dots (.) in a profile name breaks it
* Renaming an existing profile changing capitals to lowercase characters or vica versa is not accepted
* Really slow profile list updates when using lots of profiles
* autoexec section gets messy when mounting more than 1 virtual disk on the same physical disk
* 'Accept all Defaults' is buggy
* No multiple DOSBox versions
* No multiconfig file support
* No multiple image spanning
* No way to run a file from off an image
* No physFS
* No automatic capture folder configuration
* No Booter support
* No YKHWong & Gulikoza CVS (svgachipset, shaders and the like) support
* No way to configure dynamic options with spaces (for example cycles=max 80%)
* No support and no open source

Good luck,
Ronald

no one forces the end user to use the latest version of DOSBox.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 17 of 33, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is insane to continue to use an outdated version of DOSBox just to not have to give up a front end. After all, DOSBox is so easy to use without a frontend. Name me one thing that D-fend can do that DBGL or D.O.G. can't. Even if you can, both are still in active development and any features can be added. Both developers are active posters here.

Rather than whining about an outdated frontend that will only have increasing compatibility problems, how about contributing to the development of active frontends with suggestions and requests.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 18 of 33, by UK_John

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I have it know, was only at the end of what I thought was a diatribe against D-Fend, so didn't get to the end! Well, I have D-Fend know - thanks a lot, and will go back to putting my retro DOS games like Darklands and Terra Nova: Task Force Centauri and Pacific Air War and Task Force 1942, as well as half a dozen others back on it! 😀 I have never had a problem with D-Fend, so don't see why I will need support either!

Too many great retro PC games to play, so will get around to a PC upgrade maybe year after next, just in time for Crysis to be on ebay for a couple dollars/pounds/yen and a PC to run it will be under $500/£300!! 😀

Reply 19 of 33, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi UK_John, long time no see,

Well DFend works for now, but it is time for change.

If there is something not supported by D.O.G. or DBGL then let us know so I and Ronald can upgrade our frontends to suit your needs.

As Ronald pointed out, DFend doesn't support all features of the new version of DOSBox.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc