VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
3Dfx Blood still crashes after a short period of playing. It quits to desktop. Out of memory problem. I was finding any solution but no success.Both Glidos and dgVoodoo glide wrappers do that issue for me. The problem is related to 3Dfx Blood only, normal Blood.exe never crash. But I want to play Blood accelerated!

One Whole Unit Blood 1.21 with 3Dfx.exe 1.20
Glidos v1.38
dgVoodoo 1.40+
WinXP SP2

If u have any idea what to do, please help me.

Reply 1 of 11, by DosFan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wonder if someone has that problem either or its only my computer matter. 3Dfx 1.20 patch is alpha anyway and maybe its the cause of that issue. Who run 3Dfx Blood without any problem, please post a reply too!

Reply 2 of 11, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Blood is fussy. I think I had one machine it wouldn't run on. And I certainly had another where I had to run it twice to get it going, the first go always failing.

I'm hoping to update VDos32 to run Blood sometime and then maybe we can get more consistent behaviour.

Reply 3 of 11, by nikpage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wonder if someone has that problem either or its only my computer matter.

I had exactly the same problem, with Glidos, dgVoodoo, and Dosbox (glide support patch).
But look, what i find:
http://p197.ezboard.com/Blood-on-a-Voodoo2/fx … icID=3016.topic
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/about1485.html

Seems, like this problem related to the bug in the 3dfx-Blood code. I wonder, if this could be fixed at all.

Reply 8 of 11, by Pens86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nikpage wrote:

Did someone know, how to solve the problem?

I installed Blood one whole unit 1.21 fresh, used Dosbox 0.72 of course.
After the final boss in episode one, right before the cutscene is about to start, I got a 'out of memory error', also when I load up the game (blood) it says I only have around 23MB available memory.
Fix: (This is if you have dosbox 0.72 @ C:\)
First go to C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72, in this folder there should be a file named 'dosbox.con' open this file in notepad. Scroll down in notepad until you find this '[dosbox]' right below you should see a line called memsize=16(mb).
Change this "number" to 64(mb) I belive this will make dosbox think you have 64MB ram on your computer. (Regardless that you infact may have 2GB!)
Anyways, atleast my version of blood needs 36MB of ram. But now dosbox and blood think my system runs under 64mb ram. Ergo: Bloods run perfect without any quiting to desktop complaining about low memory. Heck, even my cutscenes wouldent play. "low-memory". Hope this helps.. Go paint the town red!!

Reply 11 of 11, by nikpage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pens86, thanks for the reply!
Are you talk about Dosbox and Blood with glide support, or just about software mode? In normal (software) mode Blood with Dosbox works just fine, and never crashes, but in glide mode it crash after 1-2 minutes of play (Out of memory for current_texture_data in setGlideTexInfo). Editing "dosbox.conf" didn't change anything... Besides, in Dosbox glide mode, game is laggy as hell...
In Glidos game runs with normal speed, but also crashes after 1-2 minutes (Out of memory for current_texture_data in setGlideTexInfo) .