VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone know if this is possible? I've done my fair share of research through the web (quite some time ago) but never found any conclusive information...

What I would like to know is that when playing games with audio tracks , and don't want or can't use the CD ( let's say I only wish to use my backup image file with both DATA and AUDIO ), can I listen to the audio track from my image while playing? This question is ALSO aimed at the DOSBox environment as well.

Some examples of games I have but never managed to work around it are Magic Carpet 2, Syndicate Wars, Rayman, Tie Fighter 95, etc ... With the original CD inserted I get all the audio track happiness I could ever wish! But if I mount an image (only tested this in Windows games) then the game runs fine but with NO audio track sound... 😢

If someone can enlighten me in this matter I would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Njaydg

Last edited by njaydg on 2007-06-13, 11:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 28, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I am not expert on this CD image stuff, but I think it depends on how you created the image. I think for you need to create it in this combined CUE/BIN image format. Something about the CUE stuff telling the virtual drive where the audio tracks start/stop I think.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 28, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the lightning fast reply! 😎

I can't say for sure, but among the formats I tested ( IMG and BIN+CUE, if I remember correctly ) the only result was being able to play the game flawlessly but with NO audio track sound...

As soon as I get the time (only in a couple of weeks) I'll do some heavy testing, including my DOS(box) games!

Can anyone else please share their experiences or knowledge...?

Reply 3 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Exactly. You need to make a .BIN image (RAW) of your CD with the accompanying .CUE. An .ISO (DATA) will not cut it since it will not have the audio data included.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 28, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Much obliged, DosFreak!

So it really is possible to play games with audio tracks... Wow! You've made my day! 😁

Just out of curiosity (and please don't be offended by my questioning all the time, I just like to share/learn new and useful information) have you already played games like this? And is it working with DOSBox?

Still, I'll be sure to make the necessary arrangements to properly test this and give some (much needed) feedback here, as I'm sure there must be quite a few people out there with the same doubt.

Last edited by njaydg on 2007-06-12, 15:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Easy way to test in Windows if your CUE/BIN is working is to mount the .CUE with Daemon Tools and see if a CD player can play the audio. (Make sure you uncheck the spyware checkbox in Daemon Tools when you first install it)

Yep, I pretty much use CD images with DosBox exclusively since I've always had trouble with DosBox trying to use CD Audio with real CD's (and I stopped using CD's for gaming a long time ago anyway). Can't remember how long DosBox has supported it....I want to say the first time imgmount was commited into CVS 3-4 years ago? I'd have to dig back through the old binaries and do some testing.

Reply 6 of 28, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I shall do as you say, DosFreak! A friend of mine has mentioned that application, but I've always used Alcohol 120. I know, ignorance is bliss... Then again, we're always learning! 😀

Oh, and please, you don't have to go through all that trouble just to check that info.

Gotta say you've made my day twice in a row... I have to test this ASAP...

I'll test this after work, then I'll let you (and everyone else) know the results.

Reply 7 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Alcohol is fine, Daemon Tools is made by the same people that make Alcohol.

I haven't used Alcohol in a long time to mount images but it sure support .cue.

Reply 8 of 28, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It works like a charm!

I used UltraISO to create a BIN/CUE CD image of Rayman, then Alcohol 120 to mount the image ( in my E:\ virtual drive ). Next I loaded DOSBox and used " mount D E:\ -t cdrom " and it was good to go!
Just installed to " C:\Rayman " and played with Audio track sound from the image!!! 😎 (

Thanks for all the helpful tips, DosFreak! Anything you need, and if I can help, just let me know... 😀

Do feel free to make more suggestions, as they are most welcome!

p.s. - just noticed Rayman needs a proper input for the 0.70 version compaibility list... I'll add it as soon as I finish testing, as right now Rayman moves like Speedy Gonzales 😁

Reply 9 of 28, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

njaydg - I think you can skip the whole Alcohol thing and use the IMGMOUNT command instead of the normal MOUNT command,

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I just metioned Alcohol\Daemon tools to test the CD image to see if the audio works, but if it works for you using Alcohol and you like to use that method then you should be fine.

Reply 11 of 28, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@ MiniMax : I used that method because it WAS the fastest way I knew to test it. After reading the IMGMOUNT syntax, and giving my braincells a little workout, an answer was found. This is how I got it working:

imgmount d c:\rayman.cue -t iso

I noticed that if rayman.bin was used instead, then the audio tracks wouldn't play

@ DosFreak : Your method of testing was most enlightening, as it allowed me to understand my previous mistakes and overcome them.

Thanks very much, guys! The IMGMOUNT command is quite powerful indeed...

Reply 12 of 28, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

Alcohol is fine, Daemon Tools is made by the same people that make Alcohol.

I haven't used Alcohol in a long time to mount images but it sure support .cue.

i think you got that around the wrong way, alcohol uses the demon tools virtual drive. if the people that make alcohol also make demon tools, then whats the point in alcohol 52% ?

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 13 of 28, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_120%25
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_Tools
http://www.daemon-tools.cc
http://www.alcohol-soft.com/

If one reads carefully through each link, there are NO references in either software homepages ( Alcohol Soft or Daemon Tools ) nor in the Wikipedia links, that relate these 2 softwares (or the technology used) , but that's not even the point here (off topic?) in this thread...

The question about playing games through mounted images with audio tracks is very well detailed in the previous posts, IMHO, and I solved the problem with the precious help of DosFreak and MiniMax, to whom proper thanks are due!

p.s. - " Alcohol 120% combines all functions of Alcohol 52% (CD & DVD emulation software) but with added DVD & CD burning capabilities ". Hope that clears up any doubt.

Reply 14 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If they aren't made by the same team I think I remember an interview with one of the Alcohol folks stating that some of the Daemon Tools team helps out with Alcohol. I also want to say they use the same CD emulation driver but I can't say for sure.

Reply 15 of 28, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't mean to contradict anyone about their claims, but even though the makers don't reference it in their sites, doesn't mean it's not possible! 😉

Wether using Alcohol or Daemon Tools, either will serve their purpose just fine and that's we need, software that works!
Regarding the choice, it's up to the user to decide about the one that suits him best... It's always good to have another option! 😎

Reply 16 of 28, by Lag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I have a similar problem with CD that have audio tracks, except than using Daemon Tools didn't solve it.
I have a PIII computer, Win2K as an OS and I use DOSBox 0.72.
When I mount a CD image with Daemon Tools and then use it with DOSBox, the audio tracks aren't played. For this, I use the command MOUNT D R:\ -t cdrom -ioctl -usecd 2 (R: being the Daemon Tools drive and the third drive)
I've tried to mount the CD image directly with DOSBox, using the .cue file, with the command IMGMOUNT D C:\CD\NAME.CUE -t iso and the audio tracks were played.
That would be fine, but what about CD images that don't have a .cue file or that aren't directly usable by DOSBox (as .ccd, .nrg...)?

Reply 19 of 28, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"That would be fine, but what about CD images that don't have a .cue file or that aren't directly usable by DOSBox (as .ccd, .nrg...)?"

Don't use proprietary CD image formats? This isn't DosBox's fault.

Use IsoBuster to create .CUE/.BIN files.

I believe there was an issue awhile back with IsoBuster not creating proper .CUE files for CD's with audio tracks but it's been awhile since I played around with it.

IMGMOUNT always works since your mounting the CD directly. When using a real CD/Daemon Tools your having to rely upon the OS and program your using and wether they work correctly.....it's also a pain the ass of having to deal with Daemon Tools when you can just setup DosBox to automatically mount the .cue/.bin itself and not have to mount the .iso with Daemon Tools.