VOGONS

First post, by OppiumNitrates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I read a post about someone having this same problem but the post was closed because the person was not listening to the people trying to help him.

I have a DELL XPS-700 and am running DosBox 0.70. I was able to install the game using DosBox but when I attempt to play it I get the following error.

"CD-ROM disk missing or CD-ROM drive not ready."

I have read over the readme.doc and the "intro" command within DosBox and have tried every combination of: mount d D:\ and mount d E:\
-t cdrom
-usecd # (where '#' is returned from the "mount -cd" command)
-ioctl

I have also tried the -label command but am a bit confused about its use-
I have 1 CD\DVD-RW drive in my computer but when I open "My Computer" i see 2
DVD-RW Drive (D:)
DVD Drive (E:)

so when calling "mount d E:\" should the command be -label DVD Drive ??

If there is anything else that I have missed or something else I can try to get this game to work I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

Reply 1 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can see the label either right-clicking on the CD icon from My PC -> Properties (it's the name) or issuing a VOL <drive:> command from a cmd.exe window.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Not really important I think, but....

OppiumNitrates wrote:

I have 1 CD\DVD-RW drive in my computer but when I open "My Computer" i see 2
DVD-RW Drive (D:)
DVD Drive (E:)

You have 1 real, physical DVD-drive, but you see 2 drives?

Do you have some kind of virtual drive software installed? Daemon Tools, Alchol, .... ? Something that will show up as drive E: ?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 13, by OppiumNitrates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok so i was using the -label wrong but after using it the correct way it still was not working for me heres what i am doing:

domain1iy6.jpg

then I install the game and when im done I come back to DosBox and try to run the game:

domain3nl9.jpg

Yes I have Daemon Tools installed, could that be causing my problem?

Reply 4 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No. I don't think Daemon Tools is the culprit but you could be sure if you uninstall it and try again.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

shouldn't have influence.
If you are sure that the cdrom label is correct, then the game is probably not supported (the cd version)

As a last attempt you can try to make an iso of the cdrom and mount it with imgmount. That one is slightly different on compatibility then the regular mount.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 13, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seeing as he has Daemon Tools I'd also recommend he mount the aformentioned image with that and then just access it via normal DOSBox methods of mounting with the ioctl switch. That way if imgmount doesn't work he has another card up his sleeve.

Reply 7 of 13, by OppiumNitrates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the replys but I think that I have exausted all my options with DosBox
Here is the deamon tools mount
-D: is my physical CDROM with CD in
-E: is my virtual drive with the DOMAIN.iso attached.

domain5rs3.jpg

Here is the imgmount attempt:

domain4qn4.jpg

So can I now safely assume that this game is just not supported?? If that is the case does anyone know of any other Dos emulater that might support this game or other techniques to try to get this game to work.

Reply 8 of 13, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Other sites list this game under another name (Genesis) and they hint at it running fine under DOSBox. They don't refer to the CDROM release though.

Also, why do you mount the game AFTER you install it? Seems like a very strange way to get the game to run and it's probably half the reason it doesn't work.

Reply 9 of 13, by OppiumNitrates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dh4rm4 wrote:

Also, why do you mount the game AFTER you install it? Seems like a very strange way to get the game to run and it's probably half the reason it doesn't work.

What do you mean mount the game after installing it?
If you are talking about using the -label command I have tired just about every combination of:
-ioctl
-label
-usecd

So i have mounted the CDROM without the label command. In fact I have mounted the CDROM alone with just -t cdrom and installed the game and it worked fine.

Reply 11 of 13, by OppiumNitrates

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

darkgamorck wrote:
How about posting the contents of the GENESIA.BAT file?

GENESIA.BAT :
@echo off

ultimate.exe
if errorlevel 1 goto fin
mode co80

:fin
echo on

I have tried running ultimate.exe but i get the same message

Reply 12 of 13, by Munty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi I've used Dosbox to get a few old games running before and most recently found this website which helped me get Genewars (great game!) running but now I'm having trouble with this one...

Now I'm old enough to have owned a DOS operating system (just) but I never really used it much and I'm struggling with the same problem as is highlighted here. Difference is, I don't have a clue what anyone is talking about in their responses! I get the CD-Rom error message and have tried most of what I've seen in here but probably done it all wrong anyway so was hoping some people were still watching this topic and could help me out.

(Never managed to get Genewars to read from the cd but found a crack for it. Didn't know about these cd-rom codeys till today though!)

Reply 13 of 13, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't mount the ISO with Alcohol, use the DOSBox imgmount command. This happens with Mechwarrior II also, and the only fix is to make an ISO of your CD and mount that ISO in DOSBox. This way, DOSBox can read the copy-protected data in the image and the game will start. It's the only way to play MW2 in DOSBox at this point, but the team will fix that eventually.

486 Launcher v2.0 is now under development!