VOGONS

First post, by SoulBlazer07

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys. I'm farmilar with DOSBOX, using it for a couple of years, but I've never had a problem I could'nt figure out.

Bought a CD copy of Wing Commander II several days ago, came in the mail today. Installed the game under DOSBOX and started to play it. The game is listed as being fully playable.

Played the first mission just fine, started the second mission. At a certain point in the mission, after you have defeated the Kirathi ships attacking the carrier Concordia, the game -- and DOSBOX -- just locks. All music and sound stops, none of the keys work, nothing. I have to go into the Task Manager to shut DOSBOX down.

I've tried several options....re-installing the game without voices, turning the music and sound off, not using my joystick, adjusting the frame rate.....nothing. The game insists on locking at that point.

Following the advice of the friendly poster who replied, I tried several different CVS builds of the game. Nothing. The game STILL locks at that point. That's why I know it's the game, or the settings the game is using in DOSBOX, instead of the build itself.

Help! 😕

Last edited by SoulBlazer07 on 2007-06-03, 04:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 21, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there are DOSBox compatible programs that replace XCOPY functionality, not least of which is xxcopy.

How to get games which install with XCOPY to work - GUIDE

I know you're new, but next time don't be afraid to use the search function. I did and you can see what turned up.

Also, it's important to use the "-ioctl" switch (ie. mount d x:\ -ioctl, where x is your CD ROM/DVD ROM drive) when mounting CD ROM drives as this enables protection schemes and better granularity when accessing the drives. Many games benefit from this and it even helps with virtual mounting utils like Daemon Tools etc.

Last edited by dh4rm4 on 2007-06-03, 03:16. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 21, by SoulBlazer07

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, thanks for thhe information on XCOPY, but I did'nt think the game lockup was being caused by running it from the CD.

And I was right.

I used that program to sucessfully copy everything to my hard drive, tried the game again, still locks at the same place.

Does anyone have this game and gotten it to work? Or any other suggestions for things I can try? 😠

Reply 3 of 21, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have played through many missions of WC1 and 2 but I use Yhkwong's CVS 7.0 build - mainly due to MT32 emulation being built in. I'd urge you to try that and other CVS compiled versions first.

Reply 4 of 21, by SoulBlazer07

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I located the build you suggested and tried it....game STILL locks at that point. Can you please tell me what settings you're using to play WC2?

BTW, since you said you're farmilar with the game, just what is the game trying to DO at that point, anyway? 😐

Reply 10 of 21, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It does need much with the speech pack.

Dunno, think even with the speech pack it started fine with below
600k low memory free. But well if not there should be an error
message at least instead of a crash.

Reply 11 of 21, by SoulBlazer07

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally figured out the problem after much trial and error. For SOME reason, that one spot in the game is the ONLY spot that does'nt like the music/sound to be turned on.

I had to change the config options (with winstall) to have NONE as the sound card, play the mission again, finish it, save, and then go back to winstall and turn the sound/music back on. Now everything seems fine.

I had the sound card as a Sound Blaster, BTW, IRQ set at 7.

Not sure if it's a conflict with the sound settings or a bug with DOBOX -- I suspect the former, since all the builds I tried had the same problem. Just figured I'd let you guys know what happened. 😀

Reply 14 of 21, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:

Try it and see 😉

Oh, I slipped over the parameter settings: have to add the param string '-value' to set it properly. 😎

Klimawandel.

Reply 15 of 21, by SoulBlazer07

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the help that you guys gave eariler.

I'm having another lock up problem now....this time with SO1. The first mission starts normaly, but when you hit A to go to autopilot and the graphic is ready to change back, the game either locks or crashes back to the GAMEDAT directory with no error message.

I tried the trick that worked for me last time -- uninstalling the music and sound drivers, only to have the same error. I tried different builds of DosBox, same error. I tried running the game with the loadfix command (so1 loadfix, so1 loadfix -1, so1 loadfix -2, etc.), same error.

Any other ideas? 😀