VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jesushumper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Trying to get Carmageddon to run on XP Pro.

This is what I've doen thus far.

Install VDMsound (latest version)

Install Carmageddon through VDMS (full install, of course)

(tried the 3dfx patch, made no difference in my prob)

If i play the game at this point, all i get is black screen for a few seconds then i get my desktop again, but a bit of teh applicatiOn still runs in bakcground, can't restore or 'brign it to front'.
Then I'm left with an odd, lined display until i restart. 😒

I bust into DOS mode too see if the game gives any error messages, and it does. This is what it says...

"FAILURE : COULD NOT stART DRIVER"

From the wonky display after teh game crashes, I assume this has something to do with my video card (yes i have the latest drivers)

So on I go...

Install GliDOS, latest version.

I installed Carmageddon to the path GliDOS asks, C:\intrplay\carma\, but what's this carmav.exe thing????

I've been playing this game off and on since it was released, and I've NEVER seen or heard of this "carmav.exe" file

do i need some weird version of the game???

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!

Just my luck, too. this if after I jsut got it running well on two friends' computers after 4 years or trying. Arg..

..the game worked jsut great on Win ME..

So if anyone knwos of a possible solution, PLease tell me.

Thanks, in advance.

here's my specs.

Athlon 800
Radeon 9000pro 128ddr
512 ram
AC97 sound
Win XPpro

Reply 3 of 8, by jesushumper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Charging 10 bones to get rid of that P O S spinning logo is a bit of a rip off...
but help me fix this prob and i may jsut be a sucker and do it.

Last edited by jesushumper on 2003-04-22, 21:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, Your saying that it runs but very slowly? It's probably using software OGL. Since XP doesn't come with default drivers for the Radeon 9000 then you should have the ATI drivers installed. If so then Glidos should be very very fast. Could you try another OGL game and see if that works correctly? Quake 2/3 or somesuch?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 8, by jesushumper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes i have latest video drivers.

All other openGL games work great, Sof2, Spearhead, etc..

And liek others in this forum, i aslo get two black vertical lines, dividing my screen into 3 parts 😒

fucking M$.

Reply 8 of 8, by The Devil Hunter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's werid, i happend to have carmageddon 2 on disk, and it seems to work fine on my computer, course sometimes, the sounds seem to go out, it has it's slow moments, u know how it is.

Mess with the best, die like the rest.