VOGONS

First post, by gates007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't get the music and sound to work in 0.7 or 0.65. Can anyone provide help?

Noted it works on VDMsound but the mouse move too fast. Also want to use DOSBOX so that it is less pixelated in a window.

Please help! Thanks.

Gates

Last edited by gates007 on 2007-03-06, 14:20. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 25, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Let me guess you got this one from Home Of The Underdogs? Because I've had a look at the game from there to see about your problem, and it seems it's not correctly installed. The batch file mentions a file called PC.SND which is oddly missing so if you ask me, HOTU has once again hosted a broken or incomplete game.

Reply 2 of 25, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay I found the problem - the batch file is meant to check the options you picked. The problem is, the copy from HOTU (which is also hosted on other sites) is messed up and has multiple options.

For example, if you want the game to be with music and sound and run the game from the A drive, the game will create a file called AMS.CFG. A stands for A drive, M for music and S for sound.

But there should only be ONE CFG file. When you alter the options, it will delete the old CFG and create a new one. Except, because there's two CFG files, AMS.CFG AND A.CFG, it will start the game without music and sound, because it will find A.CFG first. I hope this makes sense.

Basically, instead of using the batch file, use MERC NHMS to start the game.

Reply 4 of 25, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It should work - the files content mean nothing. They just have repeated nonsense inside all of them - they're identical to eachother. The game just uses the files to save your settings. It's a very silly way of doing things.

Reply 5 of 25, by gates007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks but I have tried and it did not work. My conf file is CMS (C:\ Music and sound)... It worked under vdms but but dosbox - I raised this in version 0.65 and it was confirmed by someone else (where vdms worked but not dosbox) and I was hoping v0.7 would remedied this. Can you please confirm it worked in your system and if so, can you pm your conf file for me to try? Thanks a lot RA!

~gates

Reply 6 of 25, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My conf file won't help at all - I didn't change it except for output. I think the problem is that the game uses weird Dos commands that Dosbox doesn't support. If it worked for me, it should work for you though.

Reply 7 of 25, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

gates007 - put my DB-INFO.BAT script in the same directory as Hard Nova, and run it please. Then post screenshots of the 3 pages here.

Link: http://www.jabba.dk/files/db-info.zip

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 25, by gates007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi - I have attached the 3 pages screen capture (zipped) for your review. I appreciate any help you can provide.

I tried to Herc AMS in dosbox but it still run without sound or music. Thanks.!

Attachments

• Filename
    HN_Sc.zip
    File size
    54.63 KiB
    Downloads
    229 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 25, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, there's several things you did "wrong".

First, ALWAYS use C as your drive for games. Some games won't work on any other drive letter - the same goes with CD drives - always mount those as D when possible.

Second, don't use subfolders. You have "games" and then hardnova. Just have c:/hardnova.

So try this first.

Reply 10 of 25, by gates007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Red Avatar. The game is installed in C drive at my home computer - I have just showed what I have installed in my USB drive when I take the game on the go. The one installed at home in C drive has the same problem and does not work.

Re: I would respectfully disagree re: subfolder - at least in this case. Most, if not all games, have no problem with subfolders. The only games that I recall that required C: drive installation are Bane of Cosmic Forge and Sentinel Worlds. However, I don't think Hard Nova has this problem.

Red, can you please confirm you got Hard Nova worked on version 0.7 with Sound and Music?

I have got confirmation that it did NOT work in version 0.65 see threat below.

Thanks for your help

Help - Hard Nova - Sound not working in v0.65

Reply 11 of 25, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I am not sure if I agree with red_avatar or not about the sub-folders. But keep the virtual drive letters to C and D if at all possible.

So do a mount C E:\Games (or when you are at home, mount C C:\Games). That way DOSBox will see your Games directory as its C-drive. Personally, I would create and use mount C C:\Games\HardNova\C-drive. And inside the C-drive, I (or the installation-program) would then create C:\HARDNOVA for the game to live in.

Reply 12 of 25, by gates007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi MiniMax,

Yes - at home is mount C C:\Games\HardNova\C-drive. ie. The game is installed in c: drive called C:\games\hardnova [8 characters for the folder] and it is run and mount from c:\

not sure if this make sense. have you try to see if it runs with sound/music? I have tried many premutation / combination of sound conf but still did not get it to work.... thanks for your help again, MiniMax!

P.S. see my link re: v0.65 in my previous post. RCBlanke confirmed the sound/music did not work... Thanks.

Reply 13 of 25, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

gates - I think you are still misunderstanding me. I seems like you still do a

Z:\>mount C C:\

My recommendation is to do a

Z:\>mount C C:\Games\HardNova\C-drive

Reply 15 of 25, by gates007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay - actually I copied my USB hardnova dir to the c drive under c:\games\hardnova and do a mount c c:\games\hardnova where the subdir is effectively c:\
I was able to start the game (like other instances) but again it has no sound or music.

Minimax, can you provide further recommendations? Many thanks!

gates

Reply 16 of 25, by gates007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I got it - Red Avatar is right about the MERC AMS file. However, I don't think it has to do with the subdir. I am mounting it on my e drive (usb drive) with sub dir and run the MERC file (with command line as AMS as the switch).

Thanks again for your help!

~Gates

Reply 17 of 25, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Try a

Z:\>mount C C:\Games
Z:\>C:
C:\>cd HARDNOVA
C:\>HARDNOVA

Reply 19 of 25, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:

I am not sure if I agree with red_avatar or not about the sub-folders. But keep the virtual drive letters to C and D if at all possible.

So do a mount C E:\Games (or when you are at home, mount C C:\Games). That way DOSBox will see your Games directory as its C-drive. Personally, I would create and use mount C C:\Games\HardNova\C-drive. And inside the C-drive, I (or the installation-program) would then create C:\HARDNOVA for the game to live in.

The reason I don't like subfolders is because they cause problems - people end up mounting those and the game paths get messed up.