VOGONS

First post, by phlux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!
I experienced a strange problem right now. I started playing "Das Schwarze Auge 1"/"Realms of Arkania" using Dosbox 0.65 on Windows XP. I created an image of my game cd, as the surface is horribly scratched, and mounted it using daemon tools. Everything worked fine, sound worked, even cd-audio worked.
Now I migrated to Vista and tried to play the game again. The game itself runs well, even sound works. The only thing which doesn't work is the cd-audio. I already tried to switch to version 0.70 of Dosbox but it doesn't help.
I'm not quite sure but I bet this phenomenon relies on the modified sound libs or whatever ms has changed in Vista.

Does anybody know how to solve this problem? (Abstracting away from re-installing XP 😉 )

kind regards, phlux

Reply 2 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

imgmount /?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 17, by Maxou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello ^^

I'm very sorry for upping this topic which is very...old! ^^' And I'm very new on this forum 🤣 but I'm very interested in the solution about this problem, if there's a solution ^^ I have a "friend" who experienced this audio-cd trouble under Dosbox 0.72 and Vista, but I'm very embarrassed because I'm still under XP and I don't know anything about Vista 😢

This is exactly the same trouble than Phlux, the audio cd tracks doesn't work when running games under Dosbox, for instance, he tells me he experiences this trouble with Lemmings 3D or Worms...

Is there someone who have already fixing this, is there something absolutely special to do to play audio cd tracks under this program, please? ^^' I thank you very much for your replies ^^

(Sorry if my English isn't very perfect 😅 )

Reply 9 of 17, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can also try the imgmount command which is suggested several posts earlier. I found I was unable to play cd-audio on Vista using daemon tools and dosbox (was able in xp) but the imgmount fixes a lot more issues than just cd music. So, I think, imgmount would be the best option for your friend who uses vista.

Just add this command to your dosbox.conf [autoexec] section:

imgmount d c:\isolocation\game\game1.cue -t iso

where c:\isolocation\game\game1.cue is the path to your actual image file. Also make sure that your cd image files use the cue/bin format, not iso, as .iso cannot store the additional music tracks present in the cd.

Reply 10 of 17, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The noioctl switch didn't work for you? (maybe along with usecd)
That would be odd as it's using the SDL cdrom layer then, which doesn't
provide much but at least cd audio capabilities.

Reply 11 of 17, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That -noioctl switch actually works but I was just suggesting another option because I noticed music hangups and speed issues in alone in the dark 1 cd audio version when using a virtual cd image emulator such as daemon tools. That is why, I think, imgmount is the safest option as it provides the best compatibility and speed and would fix a lot of issues in the long run, especially problems with cd audio games.

Reply 12 of 17, by Maxou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok ^^ I'll tell him to try all those tips, hopping it will fix all his problems, but I'm sure it will ^^ And in other way, if I upgrade to Vista someday, I'll also know how to do this with cd audio tracks, that's great ^^ Thank you all again for those precious tips 😀

Reply 14 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think DOSBox (via SDL) supports reading OGG/MP3 from cuesheets as long as your .cue is setup correctly.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 17, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I've experimented with cuesheets using WAV and MP3 formatted audio tracks, and had no success getting them to work directly with DOSBox. The ISO/WAV images work when mounted with Daemon Tools, and the ISO/MP3 images work for burning with Nero, so maybe it's just a matter of correct formatting...

Please share the correct format for the cuesheets to make this work in DOSBox.

Reply 16 of 17, by Oerg866

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To dig out this topic another time, I would like to thank doomer for his superb imgmount solution 😀

The game i am talking about is called Screamer (Bleifuss in my country).

To let the game find the CD, I have to use the -ioctl switch. You said that -noioctl works for cd audio. That is correct, it works, but it says "Insert Screamer CD"

Now I made a BIN/CUE set of my Game Disc, and it works perfectly!

Reply 17 of 17, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am glad it worked for you as well, Oerg. 😀

I think that is the best overall solution at the moment. After switching to imgmount for all my cd-audio games, I definitely enjoy a smoother gameplay experience. 😉

Sadly, some people still refuse to make an image copy of their classic game collection. By providing an infinite list of reasons, some of those quite absurd, they simply rule out solving their problems with that nifty imgmount command.

Still, I am glad you dared to try that and it worked for you. Welcome to the light side. 😁