VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Pvt._Public

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy, all. I know it's considered semi-bad manners to make your first post/thread a request but I really need help.

Having searched this entire forum and 10 pages worth of google thrice over I have discovered that there is no definitive guide to installing Discworld 1 on WinXP. After much time and effort I have managed to install both Discworld 2 and Noir from legitimate CDs that I have bought, and by using guides and patches from many websites. However, having finally gotten a copy of the "Argentum Collection" version of the original Discworld, I am well and truly stumped. There is no decent working guide whatsoever on how to install this game on Windows XP. I am somewhat unattracted to the idea of dragging my old Windows 95 computer out of the storage room and having to make it work, especially as I'm sure it's filled with dust and bugs.

I (and many others I'm sure) would really appreciate it if someone out there could find a way to install and run this game with full sound and music (as I think that having bought this game mostly for the voiceovers I would be annoyed having to play a muted version) on Windows XP. And of course make a fairly easy to follow guide for anyone with only a little knowledge of the programs necessary. If it can be made to run without any programs which actually cost money (such as VMWare + an old OS) that would be even better.

I have been able to play the game sans sound but it was somewhat lacking in fun without the music and voices. I had to run the game directly from CD as the only file which worked in any way was the DWB.EXE file. VDM-Sound and DOS-BOX resulted in an error message saying that no CD could be found. I enabled low level CD Rom support in VDM-Sound but although the game works it still has no sound.

Two other important things. While trying the game without sound I was unable to save. If you go to the save menu and save then it will not appear inthe load menu. I found a thread saying I should make a SAVE folder however, as I'm unable to install this game to my hard-drive where would I make a folder?
The other thing is that I am lead to believe there is a major bug which results in the game crashing at a certain point. There was apparently a patch for this at one time but having found at least 4 links to this patch (some in this very forum) none of them work! If anyone still has that patch and can either link to it or provide the file themself that would be fantastic as I don't want to have make another request for save game files past this point.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 9, by Pvt._Public

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After 3 hours, uncountable cups of tea, plenty of screaming, and a lucky hit on the patch which I found on eMule by accident, I have managed to install Discworld 1 plus (hopefully) the patch and it all works perfectly (sound and music is perfect and it now actually saves). I have yet to find an install guide though so I will provide this in case anybody else out there ever needs any help. I've tried to make it (overly) fool proof in case anybody with very little knowledge of computers reads this. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS FOR THE CD VERSION ONLY.

Firstly, you will need:
VDMSound
DOSBox
The Patch (I've made it an attachment)
If you have WinXP SP2 and you haven't already gotten the DOS Apps patch, I would recommend getting that now (http://support.packardbell.com/de/item/index. … &ppn=P920400503)

Also, it'd help if you could see the full file names. Simply open My Documents, click 'Tools' at the top, select 'Folder Options...', Clcik the "View" tab, and deselect the box next to "Hide Extensions for known file types" in the Advanced Settings box. If at any time you can't open a file try to open it using DOSBox.

1. Anyway, with DOSBox, VDMSound and the SP2 patch installed if necessary, unzip the disc_up.zip file somewhere where you can find all it's contents (e.g. in a new folder in My Documents).

2. Insert your CD and explore. Open the disc.bat file. If it says something along the lines of "Can't find G" or Can't find "E" simply press 'i' for ignore. Repeat until the actual program runs (You'll know when this is because the background changes colour and it says something like Install Discworld. It'll ask you where to install the game to. Default is C. Just click enter.

2. Having finished that it's now time to configure your sound devices. It should automatically go to this screen. Highlight "Select and Configure MIDI Music Driver. Press enter. Select "Creative Labs Sound Driver or 100% Compatible". Press Enter. Highlight "Attempt to Configure Sound Driver Automatically". Enter. Enter again (It'll say "OK"). Do the same for the Digital Audio Driver. Then highlight "Done" when you're finished and press Enter.

If this doesn't automatically load or simply doesn't work, don't worry. Just leave it for now.

3. The Game will start. There may be slightly choppy sound. Anyway, at the Title screen press F1 and select Quit.

4. Remember the files you unzipped at the start? Go and find the files wherever you unzipped them to. Open DISC.104. It should make a whole bunch of new files. Copy all thes files and put them in C:\DISCWLD.CD (open "My Computer" and then open "Local Disc". DISCWLD.CD should be in there somewhere). Select "Yes to All" when it asks if you want to overwrite the files.

5. In DISCWLD.CD open SETSOUND.EXE and check the settings are the same as when you configured them in step 2. If you couldn't do it before, do it now.

6. Having done that, right-click on DISC.BAT. Select "Run with VDMS". Select "Set up a custom configuration" then "Create a new configuration from scratch" then click "Advanced" select the Compatibility tab and select the "Enable low-level CD-ROM support (MSCDEX)". Click "Apply", "Okay", "Next", "Done". The game will start again. This time it should be a lot smoother and the sounds should be better.

7. OPTIONAL. If you want, in the DISCWLD.CD Folder, select the DISC shortcut made by VDMSound and copy it to your Desktop. Simply click on this next time you want to play.

FINISHED. Please post if anyone has any troubles understading my guide and I'll try and improve it. Also, if you do get it working I recommend changing the Double Click speed under the control options menu. The default setting is way too fast!

Attachments

• Filename
    disc_up.zip
    File size
    507.83 KiB
    Downloads
    1164 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 9, by pythe88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I've finally got my hands Discworld 1 again and want to play it on WinXP. I've tried everything you've posted above, but can't get it to work! Maybe you've encountered the same problems and know what to do... Although my CD is in a Dutch case, the game itself is supposed to be in English, so I guess I have the original CD. (Contents DISCWLD folder, DRIVERS folder, DISC.BAT and DWU.EXE) I've installed DOSbox, VDMSound and the WinXP SP2 Dos Apps patch. I can run the disc.bat file from the cd just fine, I've installed it on C, I can configure the sound devices, but when I select "Done" I just get a black screen and nothing happens anymore. Also if I don't configure any sound device the application crashes after "Done". Also if I just go on with your guide by replacing all the installed files by those from DISC.104 I can't get it to work. If I run DISC.BAT (the one in the DISCWLD.CD folder on C ??) with VDMS. The program freezes after it says it can't find the CD. I don't get any options to setup a new configuration or anything. Also if I follow the VDMS tip by editing the AUTOEXEC.VDMS file it doesn't help that much; although it doesn't complain about not finding the CD anymore, it just freezes with a black screen. Help! I desperately want to play this game!

Reply 4 of 9, by Pvt._Public

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm... Judging from the point where you get a blank screen, that's the game itself trying to start. I have no idea what could be wrong, mostly due to the whole Dutchness of the game case. I honestly don't know what could be wrong as two of my computers happily played my game without any problem. Anyone else?

Reply 5 of 9, by pythe88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My guess is that the game itself is just the normal English cd (thank god), the dutch casing explicitly states that the game is in English. Maybe there is some way to check this or to obtain a version number or anything? If I know that I have the normal version I'm at least a bit more confident that I will be able to play eventually as it has been shown to work for XP.

Reply 6 of 9, by helpdiscworldproblems

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Firstly, can I say thank you for the guide, without it I would still be staring at my computer wishing it to work! I have followed all of the steps on your guide and managed to get sound but I cannot complete the last step. So, my sound is working but is not smooth. Basically when I right click on the DISC.BAT document and select run with VDMS it comes up with a message that says 'cannot find disc'. Do you have any solutions for this? This means I am not getting the options you explained in step 6 - i.e. select set up a custom configuration etc. Any help / advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Reply 7 of 9, by Pvt._Public

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm... To be honest, I don't really know. I'm not really good with troubleshooting and it took some time and effort to make my computer play the game. Did you select the Enable low-level CD-ROM support (MSCDEX) tab? Or is this before that?

Reply 8 of 9, by helpdiscworldproblems

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't get as far as that. On your original guide point 6 says "right-click on DISC.BAT and select "Run with VDMS". When I do this I get a black screen with the message "cannot find disc, press any key to continue". Unfortunately, I never get any further than this so I can't set up a custom configuration and the enable low-level CD-ROM support.

Any thoughts?