VOGONS

First post, by pjladyfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been lurking and doing a lot of research on this but I've a few questions that I hope one or more of you may be able to answer:

1. Is it possible to run both a Voodoo1 as well as two Voodoo2's in SLI mode? I would be using the Voodoo1, a Pure 3D, for DOS Glide titles and a Obsidian X-24 for Windows-based titles.

2. I'm currently trying to track down a Canopus Spectra 2500 to pair up with the Pure 3D I have. However, failing that would a GeForce 3 be a good replacement for it? My primary concern is DOS support since this will be a dual DOS/Win98SE box.

3. If you had to choose between the following video setups for a Win98SE (running DOS titles in a DOS window) which would be optimal:

a. GeForce3 + Voodoo 1
b. GeForce3 + Voodoo2
c. 3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 AGP

Reply 1 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

back then , I had a voodoo2 12MB from Creative. ALL voodoo1 games run fine. then I got another cl v2/12MB and sli'ed them. again no probs. I don't see the point in having a v1 and v2, and I am sure this would cause probs...

Reply 2 of 9, by pjladyfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Keropi,

The primary reason would be that the Mechwarrior 2 series of titles, specifically the 3DFX ones, tend to either require a lot of work to get running properly on a voodoo2 if they work at all. In addition, there are also other glide 1.x titles that also do not like running on a voodoo2 very well either. It is for this reason that I was looking to install both to ensure that I would not have issues one way or the other.

Granted, I'm sure you are right that I'll wind up just swapping out cards as the needs arise but wished to see if anyone had managed to get such a configuration working that would avoid having to do this.

Reply 3 of 9, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a Geforce256 + Voodoo 1 setup. The Geforces support T&L which no Voodoo card ever supported as far as I know. The Geforce handles the more intensive games and non-Glide games and the Voodoo is for the Glide 1.0 only games

Reply 4 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I doubt that 2 different voodoo cards can co-exist... the problem is, that glide drivers will always use the 1st card that the system finds, there is no option to choose voodoo renederer in any games I have seen... also the v1/v2 cards may be using the same addresses, so maybe they conflict too...
BUT, there is no harm trying, worst case scenario the pc won't boot or no glide games will work, or they will always work on the 1st card they find...

Reply 5 of 9, by pjladyfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Keropi,

That was kind of my thinking as well and judging from the lack of responses would prove this out. Either that or most folks think I'm too nutty to even try to begin with. ^__^

In either event, I'll just hold on to both cards and swap them out as circumstances warrant which seems to be the more prudent course.

Great Hierophant,

I've read a LOT of your posts, both in the areas of sound cards as well as retro-gaming PC assembly, so I definatly appreciate your input on this. I'm using quite a bit of your posts, as well as a lot of other veterans on this board, as the basis for assembling the absolute best retro-gaming PC's I may assemble. Now that I've put this topic to rest I can move on to getting some thoughts on the systems I am in the process of assembling. ^__^

Reply 8 of 9, by pjladyfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've seen that mentioned in a few places that worked well for some games but had the downside of not working for others. -_-

What I wound up deciding was the suggestion Davros made; install a voodoo1 card for the DOS Glide titles and putting in a GeForce 3 (which from what research I saw had the best VESA support along with the added bonus of Pixel and Vertex 1.x support) for use with a Glide wrapper. I even went so far as to including a Yamaha YMF724 PCI sound card in the system which seemed to have the best all-around DOS support for a PCI sound card.

I definatly appreciate all the information and feedback which helped quite a bit.

Reply 9 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Carrera wrote:

I don't have at hand but a nifty little batch file will make your V2 SLI look like a voodoo 1 for must tricky games. EF2000 for example.

I'm really interested in the batch file. If I recall correctly, to make certain GLide games (Voodoo1-only GLide games) to work with Voodoo2 SLI is to disable one of the Voodoo2 cards, so the Voodoo work in single card only. Is that what your batch file basically do? Could you post the batch file here?

And how about Voodoo5? I still keep a Voodoo5 card to play GLide games (still building my legacy system though), and I plan to play a lot of DOS-based, early GLide games like EF2000, Tomb Raider 1, The Elder Scrolls: Red Guard, and Mechwarrior 2 3dfx Edition. Can Voodoo5 play those games? And if that's not the case, does disabling a Voodoo5 chip make the Voodoo5 look like a Voodoo1?