Common searches

D.O.G. First release.

Topic actions

First post, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,

As some of you know I've been working on a new FrontEnd for DosBox, called D.O.G.

This is the first release of the GUI so, call it a bèta and BE CAREFULL. Do not trow away your beloved D-Fend profiles yet.

D.O.G. currently supports the following features :
--------------------------------------------------------
* Start on Windows boot,
* Start in Tray,
* Start Favorites from tray,
* Multiple DosBox version support, currently only 0.65 and 0.63. Older versions don't create a conf, newer versions will result back to the 0.65 conf structure.
* Automatic DosBox version detection, also for the old versions 😲
* State saving of the main window. I mean, the position/state of the D.O.G. window are saved.
* Supports the keyB.exe "plugin", little manual on the hows and whys is inserted in the Profile Manager.
* D-Fend importing of profiles. (I need support you know).
* Works faster then D-Fend, no more waiting until it starts, no more blinking screens, no more watching the list getting built and so on. It was thanks to Rcblanke's profiles (+1300 profiles), that I was able to optimalise the profile manager.
* Of course Templates, Profiles and so on.

In devellopment :
--------------------
*Multiple profile configure. Adjust multiple profiles at ones by selecting what you want to change on witch profiles.
*DLL Wizard that allows you to add profiles by only selecting the game's name and path.
*Expandable functionality of the Wizard, each dll supports multiple games. So this is easy for in the future, if I can get a site up and running, to show the supported games with a link to their DLL. You only download the DLL and paste it into the Wizards directory. The Wizard will be loaded at runtime. (This already works, but needs some tweaking)
*Context menu in Windows Explorer to add, open and run conf files and also for exe's/batch/com files.

Having a vage understanding of (shed some light if you can please 😕 )
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* booter games/ command "boot", relation to real games what are they, how are they used/installed?

So enough of my ramblings, here is D.O.G in a rar package, Extract anywhere and have fun.

Thanks and I'm open to suggestions.

########Attachment removed######## ERIKGG

Erik.

Last edited by ErikGG on 2006-09-02, 23:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 47, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OH MY GOD, STUPID ME, I could crack my head just for that, I kept remebering myself, don't forget that borlndmm.dll and what do i do?

Anyways, here is the new package. Contains the most recent dll 'Delphi 2006'. Not that it matters tough for the current setup, is only needed if the wizard is loaded.

########Attachment removed######## ERIKGG

😢

Last edited by ErikGG on 2006-09-02, 23:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 47, by Gadler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A good start IMO and another good new Frontend. Importing works perfect (~2400 D-Fend Games).

Please add:
the possibility to sort entrys,
Screenshots,
maybe.. rightklick with mousebutton on Gamename opens a menu with:
Delete Game,
Start Game,
Start Setup,
Setup Profile.

The Profile-Edit is a little overloaded with submenus. You should try to summarize similar entries (like sound, gfx and cpu).

But.. ist a great start! Like it!
D-Fend is out 😁

Here is my D-Fend i upload for rcblanke before (~2500 games). For testing or gaming 😀:
http://rapidshare.de/files/29431409/My_D-Fend.7z.html

And the Captures:
http://rapidshare.de/files/29435460/dfendcaptures.zip.html

Reply 7 of 47, by Gadler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Import-Error. If i import my 2500 D-Fend configs and restart D.O.G. All entrys with a [ or ] appears 7 times!

errorsf5.jpg

And another one.. if i click at the Profile-Manager on "Add CD-ROM":

error2hk5.jpg
Now the Error also appears each time if i klick on "Edit Profile".

Last edited by Gadler on 2006-08-15, 17:48. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 8 of 47, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

mm, nice to have support,

True, need a popup. Will be added shortly.
True, need to reduce the profile menu.
Screenshot support and icons will be added.

Multi language support is still on the drawing table because it is a lot of work and I will add it when the application is stable because it is still a bit crude, even the code is still.

Oh BTW that environment variable thingy is still not implemented in the genrerator so, it will be added shortly.

That error with the multiple names is kind of strange, because my profile manager normally blocks duplicate entries, will investigate that

Thanks for the input,

Erik.

Reply 9 of 47, by Gadler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ErikGG wrote:

*Multiple profile configure. Adjust multiple profiles at ones by selecting what you want to change on witch profiles.

Great Idea!! Delete or change more Profiles at the same Time (cycles, memory etc) is a nice, missed Feature!

Reply 10 of 47, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, was investigating the problem with the brackets in the names. It is because the inifile object creates for every written key a new section. Strange, will try to work around it. The error is only the result of missing references in the selected profile.

As I said don't trow away your stable D-Fend yet. 😦

Erik.

Reply 11 of 47, by Gadler

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another suggestion:
If you select "New Profile", at the following menu "Profile Settings" should be open first!

Is it possible to add "Language" into the sortlist "Game Title, Setup, Developer..."?

Reply 13 of 47, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I've been a busy boy, here are the results :

-Problems with the bracketed '[ ]' names is solved (I hope)
-Column sorting, just click on the column title and it will be sorted.
-Added Screenshots Manager
-Added Sound Capture Manager
-Added menu to the list
-Added Environment variables to the generator
-Fixed a problem with the profile manager not being able to save a new profile, (could be a problem don't you think? 😊 )
-The new profile loader is faster then the old one thanks to Gadlers profiles ( +2100 profiles)
-And some other stuff not worth mentioning

So here it is, The D.O.G. bites back

Erik.

Last edited by ErikGG on 2006-08-16, 10:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 47, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Sorry about that, but here is the new version in record speed,

Hey took me 5 secs to figure out what was wrong. And it was stupid. Removed 1 line in my options of Delphi and hey 🤐 it was the wrong one...

Erik.

Reply 16 of 47, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Could you add the
*.exe view (in the dropmenu) when adding a version of DOSbox.exe ?
as not everybodies DOSBox.exe is called DOSBox.exe (I'm sure you can add multiple filters to the drop down menu.)

I think we have more scalers (rgbXx)

The apply Cannot create rendering error fix is a neat thing (although not needed for 0.65 as DOSBox will execute the fix it self when it detects that error).)
The -noconsole flag isn't present. I think it's used a lot by windows users (or could be) as it makes the DOSBox experience a bit cleaner.
You need to set a Gus directory btw. Selecting it might not be a good idea (as it has to be a directory inside DOSBox)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 17 of 47, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Thanks QBix for the support,

The dropdown menu is changed, so now you are able to select all exe's.
The no console thingy is added, is available from the dosbox tab.

You need to set a Gus directory btw. Selecting it might not be a good idea (as it has to be a directory inside DOSBox)

Does it need to be a directory inside the DosBox directory? Because the default conf of dosbox mentiones C:\ultrasnd.

# scaler -- Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes.
# Supported are none,normal2x,advmame2x,advmame3x,advinterp2x,interp2x,tv2x.

For the scalers thingy, I added only the ones that where mentioned in the 0.63 default config file from the one downloadable.

The new version of D.O.G. will be available when bigger changes are made, because I don't want to get the admins rath upon me because I'm using to much storage size. Will be within two days.

The apply Cannot create rendering error fix is a neat thing (although not needed for 0.65 as DOSBox will execute the fix it self when it detects that error).)

These are the things I'm looking for and want to integrate into the Wizard that is in devellopment. I'll make the render fix option only available for the lower dosbox versions, 0.63 and lower.

Thanks again,

Erik.

Reply 18 of 47, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> Does it need to be a directory inside the DosBox directory?
> Because the default conf of dosbox mentiones C:\ultrasnd.

Has to be, as the files are accessed by the emulated game/program.

Reply 19 of 47, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are we then talking about the real drive C: or the mounted virtual drive C:?

And if it is the real drive, can it be something like "C:\Dir Dir\Dir\" or does the
8:3 format apply?

Erik.