VOGONS

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://cgw.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152605&did=4

CGW Editor-in-Chief Jeff Green spoke with Firing Squad about the change and also posted on the 1UP message boards to clarify the […]
Show full quote

CGW Editor-in-Chief Jeff Green spoke with Firing Squad about the change and also posted on the 1UP message boards to clarify the magazine's position for concerned readers.

Hi everyone,
I am just returning from a business conference, so I don't have too much time this very second, but I promise I will be back later to answer questions. And I'll probably also blog about it later to attempt to tell a more complete story.

The bottom line, however, is that this is a GOOD thing. We will all miss the "CGW" name, for sure. I've been with the mag for 9 years, and have been a reader for about 20. So I know how significant this is. But you need to understand most of all that we are going to be the same staff, writing the same articles, with the same point of view. All your favorites will still be there, like Tom V. Bruce. Microsoft has NO say over our editorial content, and, in fact, it's part of the legally binding contract that they not interfere. So it's not even just a gentleman's agreement -- it's a legal reality.

But the proof will be in the pudding, as someone's grandma once said. You'll see, when you pick it up, that it's still us, that we have the same tone, the same attitude, the same writing style. So as significant as this may seem, once the initial shock wears off, I'm hoping you'll see this as not a bad thing. Microsoft is seriously upping their commitment to PC gaming. That's a good thing. And do I mind being a part of that? I do not. Not at all.

Not that I care that much anyway. Occasionally I'd pick up CGW every once in awhile but Play/GameInformer/CPU/Wired are the mags I usually read. I only pick up a CGW if there's nothing else and I'm really bored (and haven't kept up with gaming news on the web for awhile).

I do find it distressing that MS is taking over yet another area that has been around for a long time. Sysinternals last week, CGW today. What's next? VOGONS? heh. 😉

IMO, "Games for Windows" is pretty damn lame. WTF. What about Linux/Mac? With news that the MAC is going to start focusing on gaming more it seems like a pretty bad decision to focus on "Games for Windows". OSX is gaining ALOT of traction, I see people buying Mac laptops left and right....and I tried one out the other day and was really impressed (more by the fact of OSX running on X86 than anything else tho).

It's especially odd that MS/Ziff decided to do this now since Vista isn't even out yet and will not be on consumer's desktops for quite awhile even when it is eventually released. (The fact that it's not going to be released this Christmas really doesn't help things there).

Microsoft is seriously upping their commitment to PC gaming.

Is this a good or a bad thing? The cynic in me thinks bad. I'm unfortunately one of those people that tends to think in the long-term, whereas I've noticed most gamers/tech people tend to think in the short term. MS shouldn't be "upping" there commitment to PC gaming. They should already be there. They've had all of this time and now they are suddenly "upping" their commitment to "PC" (Don't they mean Windows\Vista?) gaming,

If they want to "up" their commitment to "PC" gaming mabye they update their Application Compatibility Database included in Windows 2000/XP? When's the last time they bothered to do that?

How about including some of your Vista gaming features into XP? (Not the kernel related features) but the game organization features?

Rant for today finished.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 7, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Never cared much for CGW, I was more of a reader of PC Gamer.

I sometimes question the need for magazines these days. These days, by the time I get it in the mail, everything in the issue are things I read about months ago on various websites. There are the few occasional exclusive articles worth reading.

I do still like to lop on the couch and flip through a mag. Something that even a lapop or tablet has yet been able to reproduce. I guess the format is what keeps me subscribed.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 3 of 7, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't remember the last time I even picked up an issue since I get most of my gaming info on the net these days. I used to be a subscriber but dropped them after Scorpia left, the lady that used to do the RPG/Adventure walkthoughs and articles. I had some conversations with her on GEnie years ago when she had a forum on there and she was always ready to help people with RPG questions when that was one of the few options for information besides hint books if you were really stuck.

Reply 4 of 7, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That name change is kind of cop out. However the "Games for Windows" program that Microsoft is pushing just may be what PC games need. Have you gone to your local game stores lately? My ebgames has shoved it all into the corner and its getting smaller by the month. 🙁 Soon I'll be lucky if I can even buy the latest PC games at all.....hell staples business depot has more than they do and they aren't even required to sell them!

PC gaming is on very shaky ground, and I'm sorry to say this but unless we pick a platform (Linux/OSX/Windows) it isn't going to be profitible enough to considering developing for.

Reply 5 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Games for Windows is DEAD. Long live 1UP.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8693249&p … cUserId=5380367

Last edited by DosFreak on 2008-04-08, 22:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

on a somewhat related note (from my first post back in Aug of 2006):

Is this a good or a bad thing? The cynic in me thinks bad. I'm unfortunately one of those people that tends to think in the long-term, whereas I've noticed most gamers/tech people tend to think in the short term. MS shouldn't be "upping" there commitment to PC gaming. They should already be there. They've had all of this time and now they are suddenly "upping" their commitment to "PC" (Don't they mean Windows\Vista?) gaming

Good job MS! As always you never disappoint! 😁

Reply 7 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know what to say. It was time for it to go, I think. The mag hasn't really been "great" since pre-2001, IMO. The '90s were just an incredible time for them and the industry. Then funding, advertising, and readership fell apart from 2000 onward and the mag suffered badly in various ways.

Jeff is awesome though. I wish him and the GFW staff well.