VOGONS

Reply 20 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Before you start DOSBox, how many files do you have in Unzipped?

After you start DOSBox, how many files do you have in D: ?

Did you type exactly copy D:*.* CM2 ? Only 2 spaces in that line. After copy and after the 2nd *.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 21 of 71, by rabidscouser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

done that and

it WORKS

hallelujah!!! just loading up a game to see if everything is A OK

can i push my luck...

how difficult would it be to make it so i run the full version of the game that i have from my disc, if it is quite complicated dont worry because you deserve a break but would be so grateful if you could guide me through it
as that would then mean i would be confident to play any game either from CD or from download

edit = in fact i would really appriciate this as after playing the game for a few mins i have found it very very limited - look forward to hearing from you

thanks i owe you so much,,, well i thank you for keeping me glued to my PC all night playing the game!!

Reply 22 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

What is the drive-letter of your real CD/DVD drive?

When you insert the CD in the drive, and open up My Computer, do the CD show up with a certain name (the CD-label)? Like "CM2", or "CHAMMGR2" or something?

Reply 23 of 71, by rabidscouser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my cd drive is D:

when i put the cd in it does appear as D:CM2 inmy computer

might be worth remembering i could get the intro (go.exe) to work using the 60sec guide but not the exe to run the game (cm2.exe)

Reply 24 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Let us start by trying the CD-version again. If that doesn't work, we have to go on and try to mix and match files from the download and the CD and see if we can create a hybrid that works.

Create a new directory for the CD-version (e.g. "Old Games\Championship Manager 2 CD") and copy over your run.cmd and dosbox.conf files.

Change the mount command inside dosbox.conf to refer to your CD-drive and - important - the CD-label:

mount D "D:\" -t cdrom -label "CM2" -ioctl

Execute run.cmd -noconsole. The -noconsole option will redirect internal messages, including the "Exit to error: CPU:GR5:Illegal Call 7" you encountered previously, to a file named "stderr.txt".

Install the game from the CD, and compare the contents of the new (CD-version) of C-drive\CM2 with the old (download-version) of C-drive\CM2.

How much do they differ? Any extra files? Any changes in sizes between executables? Any changes in dates?

Try running the game with different cores (simple, normal, full, dynamic) and check the contents of stdout.txt and stderr.txt after each attempt.

Reply 25 of 71, by rabidscouser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok firstly ... THANKS!!!

i have made the directory you advised

i have edited my dosbox so it now says...

# DOSBox 0.65 configuration for "Championship Manager 2".
#
# By MiniMax

[cpu]
core=dynamic
cycles=24000
cycleup=1000
cycledown=1000

[render]
frameskip=1

[autoexec]
@ echo off

mount C "C-drive"
mount D "D:\" -t cdrom -label "CM2" -ioctl

D:

if exist C:\CM2\CM2.Exe C:
if exist C:\CM2\CM2.Exe cd \CM2

i did not understand ..." Execute run.cmd -noconsole"

however i did execute run and it did create the notepad files you spoke of

i have installed the game which is housed in "C:\Documents and Settings\Leo\My Documents\Old Games\Championship Manager 2 CD\C-drive"

rather different to other version

this has a folder called sounds with 6 files (110kbs approx)
a folder called stadpics which has 92 files (22mbs approx)
overall the whole directory is... 29.4 MB (30,841,796 bytes) with 143 files, the donloaded version had around 45

hope this is enough information!

Reply 26 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
rabidscouser wrote:

i did not understand ..." Execute run.cmd -noconsole"

Start => Run... => "cmd.exe"

Then

C:\> cd "C:\Documents and Settings\Leo\My Documents\Old Games\Championship Manager 2 CD"
C:.....Championship Manager 2 CD> dir
C:.....Championship Manager 2 CD> run -noconsole
rabidscouser wrote:

however i did execute run and it did create the notepad files you spoke of

But - if you did not use the -noconsole, the stderr.txt and stdout.txt files are gone now, right?

MiniMax wrote:

Try running the game with different cores (simple, normal, full, dynamic) and check the contents of stdout.txt and stderr.txt after each attempt.

Did you get the same error no mattter which core (CPU-emulation) you tried?

rabidscouser wrote:
rather different to other version […]
Show full quote

rather different to other version

this has a folder called sounds with 6 files (110kbs approx)
a folder called stadpics which has 92 files (22mbs approx)
overall the whole directory is... 29.4 MB (30,841,796 bytes) with 143 files, the donloaded version had around 45

Good - we will return to this later.

Reply 27 of 71, by rabidscouser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok i ran it as noconsole and it created those files

i wasn't sure exactly what to do from there to get the game running! so i thought i was to mkdir cm2 and the copy from D drive to cm2 as we did before - but now realise that was probably tthe equivalent of a nocd crack so didn't need to be done

i do not know how to change the cores (dynamic, full etc.)

CONFIG:Loading settings from config file dosbox.conf
MIDI:Opened device:win32
is all that is in stdout and the other has dissapeared

sorry 🙁

Reply 28 of 71, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

When you start DOSBox (using run.cmd) with your current dosbox.conf, you should end up in D:\, right?

And on D:\, you have some kind of install-program? setup? What do a dir show?

D:\>dir

The installer should create all the necessary directories and files in C-drive.

i do not know how to change the cores (dynamic, full etc.)

You should a section in your dosbox.conf that reads:

[cpu]
core=dynamic

Reply 29 of 71, by rabidscouser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

okay

yeah installed, all fine

when running the game the following errors occur

Exit to error: DynCore: illegal option in opcode 0xff

(when dynamic)

Exit to error: CPU:GRP5:Illegal Call 7

(when simple)

(when normale)

nothing appears in the notepad files when using full but on dosbox it says ...
"checking CD Rom this will take 10-25 seconds depending on your CD Drive..."
then instantly saying
"Error : Can not find .SP file

the intro runs fine (go.exe) but when skipping the intro to run game the error messages appear as above

Reply 31 of 71, by Dogs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

After searching the web, this is the closest I've found to a solution. Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but it seemed more sensible that starting a new one.

I have the CM2 96/97 CD, and can get so far with DOSBox, but hit the same problem as rabidscouser. When I run the game using go.bat, the intro.exe runs fine, but after that I get an error when it tries to run cm2.exe. The error is:

Exit to error: DynCore: illegal option in opcode 0xff

when the CPU is set to dynamic core, and:

at when it isn't. Can anyone help?

Cheers

Reply 33 of 71, by Dogs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Following the advice above, I have experimented with ems/xms/loadfix, trying them in as many permutations as possible. Still no joy, which has left me scratching my head - either I managed to miss one of the combinations, or there's another subtlety that's needed.

Two questions:

1) If anyone has successfully got this game working, could you please post your dosbox.conf?

2) Does the error "Exit to error: CPU:GRP5:Illegal Call 7" narrow down what could be wrong, or is it a fairly generic error?

Cheers.

Reply 37 of 71, by JB2712

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys:

Here is the Deal, I have CM2 on CD and desperately want to get it to work on XP. I have installed Dosbox and have got as far as the threadstarter somehow with the "CD in Drive is not correct" error. I have dbgl055 but I have no idea how to get it to work and whether it is helpful in this situation. I will be eternaly grateful if someone could explain to me as simply as possible, because i really cannot fathom computer speak and have been searching the internet to find a guide in this fashion