VOGONS

First post, by Zork

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I know that only Windows 3.1 works on DOSBox 0.63 but most (if not all) of you know that Version 0.65 was recently released. Is it possible to put any other versions of Windows onto 0.65 now? Such as Windows 1.0 or 2.0?

"You have entered a dark place. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Reply 1 of 15, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zork wrote:

Hi,

I know that only Windows 3.1 works on DOSBox 0.63 but most (if not all) of you know that Version 0.65 was recently released. Is it possible to put any other versions of Windows onto 0.65 now? Such as Windows 1.0 or 2.0?

No, it isn't. No new development on that part.

JAL

Reply 3 of 15, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is really no support on making that work and it's better that way. There are other emulators that allow you to install and run Windows 95. This one is called DOSBox...

Reply 4 of 15, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Out of curiosity: can anybody remember a single piece of useful software (preferrably a game 😉 ) that runs under Win1.x/2.x but does not run under 3.x? Playing Devil's advocate here, but I want to know if there is actually any justification for those questions. So far, I could not find any.

Reply 5 of 15, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vasyl wrote:

Out of curiosity: can anybody remember a single piece of useful software (preferrably a game 😉 ) that runs under Win1.x/2.x but does not run under 3.x? Playing Devil's advocate here, but I want to know if there is actually any justification for those questions. So far, I could not find any.

Indeed, because presumably any 16 bit program designed for windows 1/2 ought to work just fine in a future version.

Reply 6 of 15, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, there is probably some incompatibility....
I remember long, long time ago when Windows 3.0 appeared. In one review its author wrote as one of disadvantages of windows 3.0 incompatibility with applications for older versions of Windows...
I do not know how big problem this was - I started really using Windows only since the version Windows 3.1.

Mirek

Reply 7 of 15, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Games:
http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/win3x/

Applications:
What are you doing today Charlie Brown

(well, I was a kid)

And - oh - the built-in notepad, still nowadays' mos useful application in Windows

Reply 8 of 15, by cmw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, the recovery console is the most useful application because it can fix stuff not necessarily broken by Windows itself (e.g. messed up MFT (cause of aggressive Linux behaviour)).

@Topic: I believe I recall some Issues with Falcon 3 in Windows 3.11 but I'm not sure.... was a lil young then 😉

Reply 9 of 15, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

no intentions on fixing those as well.

Just out of curiosity (and it may be covered before, but hey, I'm lazy 😀): what weird things does M$ do in Windows 1.0/2.0 that's incompatible with DOSbox? One (at least me 😀) would expect these versions (given they run on any processor, in real mode) to run without a problem.

JAL

Reply 10 of 15, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well they don't do that much weird things.
They just stick very strict to the size definitions of certain dos objects.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 11 of 15, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

well they don't do that much weird things.
They just stick very strict to the size definitions of certain dos objects.

Ah, I would have guessed DOSbox closely follows the specification of all DOS objects. Or do Windows 1 and 2 not run on higher DOS version (e.g. 5.0) either?

JAL

Reply 12 of 15, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

they probably will.
it's one object that is causing problems. Not sure which one.
Wd checked it out once.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 13 of 15, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

they probably will.
it's one object that is causing problems. Not sure which one.
Wd checked it out once.

I believe he got angry with me once for asking about Win 1 and 2, so I won't do that again 😀.

JAL

Reply 14 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh. It is annoying to constantly get questions about loading Windows in DosBox.......and then expect Windows in DosBox to constantly work when it's not (for now) really a DosBox goal.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 15, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I don't remember the stuff for win2.x, but the win1.x installer (or whichever
version was broken) had the stack very close to some working area, and
some table got 1 byte of data too much written. Yet this would require
a rewrite of several parts, thus it is definitely nothing of importance.