VOGONS

Codec used for captured videos

Topic actions

First post, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I saw video capturing is now in the CVS. Now I have the obligatory question: What codecs do I need for playing these videos?

Edit: Sorry, looked into the CVS and noticed a library named zmvs goes with it. Seems to be the codec.

Reply 1 of 43, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

this one

Attachments

• Filename
    zmbv.rar
    File size
    32.26 KiB
    Downloads
    1112 downloads
    File comment
    codec
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 43, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is sooo cool. Thanks a lot for this feature.

EDIT: Audio seems to lag behind in the video captures.

Attachments

• Filename
    title_000.rar
    File size
    2.48 MiB
    Downloads
    260 downloads
    File comment
    Links Introduction Video
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 43, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hmm that avi seems to play fine, as for audio lagging during capturing that's just to keep everything in synch, normally dosbox compensates slightly if sound starts to run behind but during capturing it's using a fixed interval.

Reply 5 of 43, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

An example from WC2 to demonstrate the audio being not in synch (actually the audio is too soon). It seems to get slightly better than this if you increase the cycles, but not by much.

Checked again, seems to be invariant under amount of cycles.

Qbix: Attachment removed

Reply 6 of 43, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well i guess it's just your player or something, using media player classic with ffdshow doing the audio decoding seems to synch fine and if your doing some test video i wouldn't think some wc2 intro is the best test of correct synch.

Reply 8 of 43, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Strange. After playing around with Media Player classic and setting a time shift of about 1500-1800 ms the beginning is correctly synched but it gets out of synch towards the end. What do you suggest as test video?

Reply 10 of 43, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, maybe this is better. I somehow found no really good example. If the gunshots and the popping water drops come in synch with the video than the problem is on my side.

Qbix: Attachment removed

Reply 11 of 43, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yeh they seem to be in synch here, don't know some players don't like pcm audio streams, else try playing them in virtualdub/mod and see if it's correctly in synch there.

Reply 12 of 43, by MobyGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Alkarion wrote:

Ok, maybe this is better. I somehow found no really good example. If the gunshots and the popping water drops come in synch with the video than the problem is on my side.

Playback working perfectly over here... problem is on your end.

BTW, I really want to say a heartfelt thank you to the development team for getting this working. This feature alone solves so many problems in my hobbies that I am extremely grateful for it. If there's anything I can do in return to help support DOSBOX, let me know.

Reply 13 of 43, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yet something else to add to my games database......movies of each and every single game so that users can see actual gameplay. Sigh. Yeah, like I'll ever get around to that!

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 43, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's really cool is that we'll now be able to record movies of game cinematics and endings for future preservation.

Alkarion: Make sure you're using the latest Media Player Classic, the latest FFDShow that you can find, and the latest AC3Filter (if you use that). Also note that each of those 3 components has settings for shifting the audio.

Reply 16 of 43, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Else convert the pcm streams to mp3 or whatever in virtualdub first, not like you'll want to keep that uncompressed anyway since for most movies the audio is sucking up most of the avi's space.

Reply 17 of 43, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It seems to be a weird codec thing, I suppose. If I start Media Player Classic and open the video there and at the same time open Windows Media Player it plays right in WMP. It does not, however play right if I start it directly in WMP without opening MPC before. MPC and WMP seem to be in conflict concerning DirectSound resources giving this side effect.

Reply 18 of 43, by MobyGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Yet something else to add to my games database......movies of each and every single game so that users can see actual gameplay. Sigh. Yeah, like I'll ever get around to that!

Actually, MobyGames is investigating doing this.

Reply 19 of 43, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sweet.

Sadly I don't use MobyGames myself as much as I'd like to (Don't want to rely soley on someone else's information for my list) but it has come in handy when helping people out on the Internet or when I need to compare information.

Currently I'm being pulled between providing as much compatibility information as possible between OS's and proving information on the games themselves. Sadly, compatibility takes priority which leaves out alot of important information that proves highly usefull at times......

Gameplay videos are faaaaaaaaaaaarr down on the list of things for me to take care of....I don't forsee myself doing something like that for heck.....2-3 years at the least. I may get bored one day though and do it for the most popular games. No sense wasting my time vid capturing XTetris! 😁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline