VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBOX config "output=" explanation?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by dta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd just like to ask the difference between the various settings for the "output=" in dosbox.conf.

Available options are surface, overlay, opengl, openglnb and ddraw.

Can someone enlighten me on the speed differences of the above methods of rendering output? Also, how about in terms of compatibility?

What's the meaning of openglnb?

(The DOSBox wiki currently still doesn't offer explanation for the above settings).

I think: surface=software; overlay=hardware; opengl=OpenGL; openglnb=???; ddraw=DirectDraw.

I think I read somewhere than OpenGL might not be very compatible in some cases. And surface is the most compatible (but slow). How about DDraw then?

Reply 1 of 12, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Overlay is one of the fastest methods, but doesn't work properly on certain card/driver combos. There might also be limitations to the maximum resolution. Openglnb is OpenGL without bilinear filtering, for that real oldschool look. I seem to recall that many ATi cards are horrendously slow with DOSBox' OpenGL output (I have no ATi card, so I can't confirm nor deny it, though). DDraw is pretty fast and has good compatibility.

Personally, I try Overlay first, then DDraw, then Surface. I've never bothered with OGL.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 3 of 12, by dta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a program that might be able to "benchmark" test the DOSBox's rendering speed?

Or any game that might be used as a sort of benchmark to check whether I should use overlay, surface, ddraw or ogl for best performance? (also, using the slowest renderer to slow games down that might run too fast for today's present CPUs).

Reply 4 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just open up DosBox @ the CLI and then switch Output's.

There probably isn't much difference performance-wise nowadays. The reason why there are so many options is for compatibility.

You don't want to use "output" to slow down games.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Z:\:>config -set "sdl output" xxxxxx

E.g.

Z:\:>config -get "sdl output"
Z:\:>config -set "sdl output" overlay

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 12, by dta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Z:\:>config -set "sdl output" xxxxxx

Thanks for that info!!

Are there any other "hidden" or "undocumented" commands that can be done in the DOSBox CLI?

Aside from "set" and "get" are there any other things that can be configured?

Reply 8 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

they aren't hidden and not undocumented either. (maybe not extensively documented, but they are there)
Take a look at the readme and at the configuration file of DOSBox.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 12 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Lebostein wrote:

Which setting for overlay I should use on Mac OS? The description of the methods is very sparse....

Have you actually read anything in this thread you just necroed? The only difference for OS X is that there is no ddraw.
Please do not necro post.

Thread closed...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper