VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pay as little or as much as you want for a collection of soundtracks to classic PC games.

http://www.gamemusicbundle.com/

At the $1 or more level, you get:

7/11: 7th Guest and 11th Hour Original Soundtrack
by The Fat Man and Team Fat

Duke Nukem 3D: Original Soundtrack
by Lee Jackson, Bobby Prince

Myst : The Soundtrack
by Robyn Miller

Jazz Jackrabbit 1 & 2
by Robert A. Allen, Alexander Brandon

Tyrian
by Alexander Brandon

But pay $10 or more, and get all this:

NUKEM: Duke 3D Remixes
by Various Artists

Shadow Warrior: Original Soundtrack
by Lee Jackson

Duke Nukem II: Original Soundtrack
by Bobby Prince

Wacky Wheels: Original Soundtrack
by Mark Klem

Major Stryker: Original Soundtrack
by Bobby Prince

Stargunner: Original Soundtrack
by Lee Jackson

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure: Original Soundtrack
by Bobby Prince

Jazz Jackrabbit 3
by Alexander Brandon

Double Dragon Neon
by virt

Alter Ego Dreamwalker OST
by coda

Edge
by Various Artists

Magnetis - Original Game Soundtrack
by Romain Gauthier

Lava Blade
by Joshua Morse

All DRM free FLAC or 320Kbps MP3.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 3 of 12, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow. I haven't heard such badly compressed previews since youtube launched its groundbreaking 144p setting.

I have most of these already and probably in better quality as well. I do wonder what synths they used for the MIDI games?

Reply 5 of 12, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, with statements like...

Technical limitations meant that Cosmo's soundtrack had to be experienced via the PC speaker

...I wonder what level of attention to detail is to be expected. Elsewhere they write that the songs were captured from "original hardware" without emulation, but some of the previews sound very brickwalled, so who knows what kind of post-processing was applied.

and really, some of those album covers look too much like rejected Threadless t-shirt designs. Needs moar pixelated crt-effect madness and less skinny-jeans hipster action. 🙁

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 6 of 12, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just had a quick listen to a handful of the Duke Nukem 2 tracks, and they definitely sound like they'd been recorded from real OPL hardware. If I turn it up quite loud, there does seem to be background noise, hinting that it's not a digital copy made using a software OPL emulator.

The Jazz Jackrabbit OST sounds great though. Very crisp and clean.

Reply 7 of 12, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:

Well, with statements like...

Technical limitations meant that Cosmo's soundtrack had to be experienced via the PC speaker

...I wonder what level of attention to detail is to be expected. Elsewhere they write that the songs were captured from "original hardware" without emulation, but some of the previews sound very brickwalled, so who knows what kind of post-processing was applied.

Listening to the Cosmo's files now, and they sounds great.

The previews are a very poor reflection of the quality of these files.

Reply 9 of 12, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dynamic range sounds pretty faithful.

If I absolutely had to say there was something wrong, I'd say it feels like maybe possibly perhaps they've used an EQ to bring up the lows just a tiny fraction of a bee's dick. Maybe. That might be my earphones though, they're not exactly flat.

I have "Stalker" playing now, from the DN3D soundtrack. It sounds awfully close to SC-55, but not exactly the same, some of the string+brass instruments sound a bit clearer than I'm used to. Perhaps they used a different higher-end Roland synth.

Reply 10 of 12, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I listened to the samples of the Duke Nukem 3D soundtrack and being a Roland SC-55 owner myself, I cringed. It's not so much the sounds are bad, but they forgot to edit the MIDI files to remove the FM and GUS instrument tracks on some of the songs which are not supposed to be played when you are using a General MIDI soundset.

Reply 11 of 12, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpooferJahk wrote:

I listened to the samples of the Duke Nukem 3D soundtrack and being a Roland SC-55 owner myself, I cringed. It's not so much the sounds are bad, but they forgot to edit the MIDI files to remove the FM and GUS instrument tracks on some of the songs which are not supposed to be played when you are using a General MIDI soundset.

Which tracks exactly? I have all the FLACs on my computer, I can have a listen and tell you if it's just that the samples are artefacty and craptacular.

Reply 12 of 12, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:
SpooferJahk wrote:

Which tracks exactly? I have all the FLACs on my computer, I can have a listen and tell you if it's just that the samples are artefacty and craptacular.

At the top of my head, Plasma, Gotham, Calypso Factor, Preparation D, and Ah Geez! come to the top of my head with this issue. It has nothing to do with compression, this issue happens when I play the raw unedited MIDI files on my Roland SC-55 unit. I will post some samples soon of what I mean but not right now since I am not near my unit and the connection at where I am at is not very good right now to upload samples somewhere.