VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1460 of 52680, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some stuff I bought last month, another SCP-55 and a TDK MC-8001, a pci-pcmcia adapter, an isa-dual slot pcmcia adapter and a nice looking Sony usb keyboard and mouse:
NDxfrl.jpg0cS80s.jpgR98vys.jpg
kfSnfl.jpg

Also got a Yamaha MU5 (great to use with my HP 200LX, I could use a Roland PMA-5 instead though to have GS instead of GM only) and a MU100 (wich I probably won't keep, no games seems to support XG besides one of the Final Fantasy PC release...

Reply 1461 of 52680, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey, that keyboard might be worth a bunch, and the mouse, it's an original PAL PS2 (gaming console) mouse and keyboard. Though they work on PC they were intended to be used with the console, and might be worth a pretty penny, considering they have the packaging.

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 1464 of 52680, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dosquest wrote:

Hey, that keyboard might be worth a bunch, and the mouse, it's an original PAL PS2 (gaming console) mouse and keyboard. Though they work on PC they were intended to be used with the console, and might be worth a pretty penny, considering they have the packaging.

They came with the PS2 Linux kit. I have one too, it's pretty rad.

HnftC.jpg

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1465 of 52680, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, it's the japanese keyboard and mouse, they were sold separately in Japan.
I also have the european and the japanese Linux kit boxed somewhere...
Squalltrife, that's the american kit, right?
The other two have a different packaging.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 1467 of 52680, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
memsys wrote:

seriously Robin where do you find all that stuff !?

Just have the finance , and a good looking eye ball.. 🤑

I only want to have one or two roland cm-32s..
And iam looking for nice looking AT cases.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1468 of 52680, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought one of these. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … ME:L:OC:US:3160

I would MUCH rather be pimping out an 840av not a 660av. but I think I should just be happy with what I can get. 🙁

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1469 of 52680, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the PS2 Linux Kit came with the keyboard, mouse, hdd, VGA cable, and ethernet adapter as shown in that pic... the mouse, keyboard, and HDD were only sold separately in Japan... the only way to get the mouse and keyboard elsewhere was with the Linux kit... the HDD you could get with the FFXI

I am one of the few who actually bought the Linux kit when it came out 10 years ago, it was a good deal considering the amount of hardware I got! I got it because I was under the impression that Sony was going to push through the online gaming thing well but it ended up to be a big disappointment. With a modchip, it is possible to allow Linux to read CD or DVD data discs, which is impossible otherwise... as for the keyboard that came with the kit, I ended up using it as a PC keyboard and it worked perfectly till I wore out the space bar's membrane... was one of the best keyboards I used... I think NMB made it

It is also possible to make the PS2 Linux coexist with game data that primarily FFXI and few other English games uses, and have the ability for saving seldomly used saves off the memory card onto the HDD, saving you money from buying more memory cards

I got a modded zen black Japanese PS2 myself and with the US PS2 Linux kit, I was able to load the Japan only BB Navigator front end with PS2 Linux on it... neat stuff!

Reply 1470 of 52680, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

Bought one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … em=160373721705

I would MUCH rather be pimping out an 840av not a 660av. but I think I should just be happy with what I can get. 🙁

For some reason the link is broken in your post, but showed up OK when I quoted it. Weird.

Aaaanywho, what exactly does that thing do? Looks like it's just a dip swich on a PCB? Is there a processor on the other side not shown in the photos?

Reply 1471 of 52680, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Few seconds ago. I won this evergreen advanced clock card. A very nice card to use it in my vintage XT computer.

neyq1u.jpg

Only hope that this card will work.. Otherwise i replace the RTC unit.. Desoldering and soldering a socket on this card.. Then use a new RTC unit..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1472 of 52680, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Robin4 Correct me if I am wrong, but that card looks like a Trident. 😒
Edit: Did not notice it did not have a vga out, also you said clock card, not video. -.- *facepalm*

Reply 1475 of 52680, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a second IBM Personal Computer 300PL yesterday for free. This one's configured quite differently from the 300PL I have now as it has a Pentium II (speed unknown as of yet), an unidentified Matrox PCI graphics card, an unidentified TV tuner card with RF, Composite and S-Video inputs (wonder if I can record video off this thing on a Windows 7 PC as that's where this will most likely go), some NIC I really don't care for and what appears to be a sizable amount of RAM (all 3 RAM slots are taken, but I don't know how much RAM is on each stick). While I can't install an OS on the computer yet due to the lack of a hard drive, I'm gonna mess around with this thing a bit and try to find a nice AGP graphics card with TV out that can fit in the computer (not an easy task as the placement of the AGP slot makes it very difficult to find AGP graphics cards that fit).

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 1476 of 52680, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That clock card looks like a Y2K compliance card. It's meant to replace the motherboard's RTC with one that is Y2K compliant.
Alternatively, if you have an old machine with no battery backed clock you could use this card to add this feature. Many old PC's in the 80's had no battery backed clock and would ask you to set the time and date on boot. There were cards from the era that added a battery backed clock, but this particular one is obviously much newer.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 1477 of 52680, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got this bad boy today. I decided on a whim that I wanted to adventure into the world of Macs, having never owned one besides the old LC550 that my neighbor gave my years ago (which, since I have no keyboard for, I've never been able to use. This will change early next week by the way...). This system's purpose is mainly to run OS9 software, which more or less opens up the entire pre-OSX library of Mac games to me. I've got another PPC system coming next week whose focus will be on OSX software, and it's gonna be pretty cool...

I got a really good deal on this system. It was $50 on eBay, comes with a warranty, had free shipping (that even delivered on Saturday 0.o), and a brand new, fresh install of OS 10.4 Tiger on it. I added an old Dynex USB 2.0 card of mine that surprisingly works perfectly with the machine, as well as a brand new 80GB Western Digital drive that my dad gave me. Then, after spending the better part of the day trying to find a non-MegaUpload download of the machine's restore disc, I installed OS 9 alongside the existing OSX install. Here's the specs:

Constable Reggie:
Apple PowerMac G4 MDD
Dual 867MHz PowerPC G4
1GB DDR
32MB GeForce4 MX AGP
60GB IBM Deskstar - OSX 10.4 Tiger
80GB Western Digital - OS 9.2.2
CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive
Dynex USB 2.0 PCI card

Here's a poor shot of the insides, and my desktops after spending most of the day learning and trying to get things figured out.

UQJzSs.jpgCc7YWs.jpgVIqr4s.jpg

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 1478 of 52680, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"venture into the world of macs"

I feel sorry for you already.

ANYWAY, I got 3 systems from 2 differt thrift stores today. Total spent: $25

Some gateway case
Nvidia GF2 ultra 64mb
2x 128mb rimms
60gb & 40gb ide drive
1.5ghz p4 (s423)
tv tuner, with fm Ive actually wanted one of these for a long time.

kept ram, hdd's and tuner, trashed the rest

#2 micro p166
4mb pci s3 virge
p-166 with their standard blue tower heatsink ( i have a matching pair now!)
4x 8mb simms
bad mobo - however it was useful for board standoffs and simm retainers.
2.1gb hdd
case was a loss

#3 no name atx
nvidia gf2-mx 32mb
3com 905-c nic
4gb hdd -salvaged from a p3 class ibm
modem from same ibm
900mhz duron.
motherboard was some no-name tiawan, Caps looked like exploded popcorn
Case was clogged with cat hair, roach carcasses and, enough tobacco tar to pave a road.

I wish I had remembered to take a picture, but I couldnt throw it away fast enough. kept the duron, figured it should at least populate my scrap cpu's for gold box.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1479 of 52680, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CapnCrunch53 wrote:

I got this bad boy today. I decided on a whim that I wanted to adventure into the world of Macs

Prepare your wallet for pain.

I originally wanted "an old Mac or two"........

- Mac Classic II
- Mac Quadra 700
- PowerBook 520
- PowerMac G3 233 (Beige)
- iBook G3 500 (White)
- iMac G3 500 (Indigo)
- iMac G4 800 15"
- Newton MessagePad 2000

All with oodles of upgrades and expansions.