DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 620 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Neville wrote:

..The issue with it is that it has two different profiles, but the folders are the same, and the export option doesn't like it.

Well, frankly the exporter didn't allow it. That's annoying, heh?! 😜

leileilol wrote:

...Would using a non-ZIP extension like 'dbglpak' help in using them as simple double-click associated functionality to import?

Maybe. But you can use Windows' 'send-to' functionality to accomplish a similar effect.

ZacMatic wrote:

...More views for the profiles list. Instead of just a list view with adjustable screenshot size, have a grid view and/or coverflow-style view.

Thank you ZacMatic, and thanks for the suggestions. I thought about other views as well, but it seems that not many good ones are available for SWT. Nebula's Gallery Widget comes close, but even that one is stil in beta and hard to integrate into DBGL's current codebase. Maybe later. MobyGames auto-image-support will come soon.

Serious Callers Only wrote:

...in linux the dosbox version is being searched in the wrong place.

No, DBGL expects the conf in the same directory as DOSBox is in, that is by design. I think it simplifies having multiple DOSBox versions and its .conf files on a single system. I'll probably make the .conf path configurable in the future, though.
An on-line database with configuration information, is not easy to set up. Who knows, when someone has some time to kill, what will happen... 😀

And.. there is a new build ready, 0.67e:

* Allow export/import of games sharing the same gamedir (Neville)
* Completed Spanish translation (Neville)
* Fix error message when using SendTo and added support for gamepackarchives (leileilol)
* Set focus on profiles list and update screenshots when the DBGL window gets into focus again (after a game)
* Fix closing the .dbgl.zip import file after import (so that it can be removed afterwards)
* Small MobyGames fix for ordered lists in description
* Another small fix to prevent an exception when using incorrect formatting in a translation
* Updated commons-lang (2.5), SWT (3.5.2) and HSQLDB (1.8.12) libraries

All the latest files, to upgrade just grab the jar as usual. But you probably also want the 3 new libraries and the fixed add.bat file.

Regards,
Ronald

Attachments

• Filename
    gallery.png
    File size
    219.25 KiB
    Downloads
    852 downloads
    File comment
    How DBGL could look using a Gallery layout.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 622 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

I've just put DBGL version 0.68 online, together with the game packages that were created so far. No functional changes, but includes an updated Italian translation from code120.

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 623 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello everybody,

I've just uploaded a new test build, 0.68a:

* Fixing an issue with exporting/importing directory structures containing empty folders. Unfortunately, the Daggerfall gamepackarchive was affected by this; it was missing the SAVE folders, resulting in a game crash when trying to save a game in progress. Users that are experiencing this problem can simply create the 6 SAVE folders as shown in the attachment. I've updated the package now, but it will require DBGL v0.68a or up to unpack fully.
* added gb for sbtype for future DOSBox support

All the latest files, to upgrade just grab the jar as usual.

Regards,
Ronald

Attachments

• Filename
    screenshot.png
    File size
    80.95 KiB
    Downloads
    864 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 624 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just noticed this, it may only be happening to me:

When batch editing all profiles to change them from using Gulikoza's build to regular build, all profiles have these other options changed:

- Graphics output changed from "surface" to "direct3d".

- Scaling changed from "normal2x" to "hardware2x".

- Fullscreen resolution chenged from "original" to "0x0".

Funy thing is, I don't remember changing those options when the profiles used Gulikoza's build.

It's not a big issue, but since DBGL still lacks a fully functional batch editing option, it's quite boring to check thhose profiles again individually.

Reply 625 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Neville,

No, the options have not changed, those are Gulikoza's defaults. When changing the associated DOSBox version, DBGL tried to keep your settings. Pity that hardware2x and direct3d are invalid settings for most other DOSBox versions though. That is indeed a bug, will see what I can do...

Still working on better multi-edit functionality, tricky stuff...

Reply 626 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If those are Gulikoza's default settings, I wouldn't call it a bug, then, and wouldn't think of fixing it. However, being able to batch edit those exact settings would have saved me a lot of time today. Can you make them your priority when adding more options to batch editing? That should suffice.

Reply 627 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Simultaneous with DOSBox 0.74, DBGL 0.69 has been released! No major changes since the last test build, except for the inclusion of the best DOSBox version to date!

Reply 629 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just completed another gamepackarchive (47MB) for your pleasure, containing all freeware and shareware Epic (Mega)Games DOS titles from http://classicdosgames.com/companyinfo/epic.html:

Adventure Math
Ancients 1: Deathwatch
Brix (version 2.0)
Drum Blaster
Electro Man
Epic Baseball
Epic Pinball
Extreme Pinball
Heartlight
Heros I: The Sanguine Seven
Highway Hunter
Jazz Jackrabbit
Jazz Jackrabbit: Holiday Hare 1994
Jazz Jackrabbit: Holiday Hare 1995
Jill of the Jungle
Ken's Labyrinth
Kiloblaster
LineWars 2
One Must Fall 2097
OverKill
Radix: Beyond the Void
Seek and Destroy
Silverball
Solar Winds: The Escape
Space Chase III: Showdown In Orbit
Super ZZT
The Adventures of Robbo
Traffic Department 2192
Tyrian 2000
Xargon
Zone 66
ZZT

Have fun!

Direct Download
Torrent

EDIT: updated the list

Last edited by rcblanke on 2010-06-16, 19:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 632 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a request. I've been helping a friend who is a computer illiterate to update both his desktop PC and his notebook to Windows 7 x64. After installing all essential items, I proceeded to install DOSBox and DBGL, but that gave me some headaches. There are two versions of DBGL (x86 and x64) and two versions of the JAVA runtime environment (x86 and x64), and being a novice to a x64 bits OS I've had trouble finding the correct combination.

My request is, can you clarify in the webpage what version of JAVA is needed for the different builds / OS? And if the DBGL.CMD could report what version of JAVA it needs, depending on the OS, that would be even better.

Reply 634 of 1968, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

File > Adjust Settings > Profile Table
Not sure about tabs but you can determine what columns are shown and sort that way.

Last edited by SKARDAVNELNATE on 2010-06-12, 14:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 635 of 1968, by code120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can add tabs with ctrl+f, but you need to add instructions to configure the tab, like

GAM.FAVORITE=true
CUST1.VALUE='x'
YR.YEAR < x
UPPER(DEV.NAME) LIKE '%x%' (for developer, "x" all in capital letters)
UPPER(PUBL.NAME) LIKE '%x%' (for publisher, "x" all in capital letters)
UPPER(GEN.NAME) LIKE '%x%' (for genre, "x" all in capital letters)

### Cosmic Supremacy ### --- a free 3D space MMO for Civilization and Master of Orion fans!!!

Reply 636 of 1968, by AtlasRapture

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

File > Adjust Settings > Profile Table
Not sure about tabs but you can determine what columns are shows and sort that way.

That just adds/removes columns which isnt what im after but thanks anyway.

code120 wrote:
You can add tabs with ctrl+f, but you need to add instructions to configure the tab, like […]
Show full quote

You can add tabs with ctrl+f, but you need to add instructions to configure the tab, like

GAM.FAVORITE=true
CUST1.VALUE='x'
YR.YEAR < x
UPPER(DEV.NAME) LIKE '%x%' (for developer, "x" all in capital letters)
UPPER(PUBL.NAME) LIKE '%x%' (for publisher, "x" all in capital letters)
UPPER(GEN.NAME) LIKE '%x%' (for genre, "x" all in capital letters)

That does the trick, but how would I go about creating a different tab for each letter? Ie A for games starting with A..B..C..etc and 0-9?

Reply 638 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AtlasRapture wrote:

... how would I go about creating a different tab for each letter? Ie A for games starting with A..B..C..etc and 0-9?

Use
A: UPPER(GAM.TITLE) LIKE 'A%'
B: UPPER(GAM.TITLE) LIKE 'B%'
etc.
0-9: SUBSTRING(GAM.TITLE, 1,1) >= '0' and SUBSTRING(GAM.TITLE, 1,1) <= '9'

If you know what you're doing, you can edit the database (/db/database.script) directly to create all the filtering tabs.

SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

This seems rather technical.

It is. Please refer to src/java/org/dbgl/db/Database.java file in the javasrc package for information on the database structure. If you can't get a filter working, post here.

Neville wrote:

... My request is, can you clarify in the webpage what version of JAVA is needed for the different builds / OS?

The reasoning is actually rather simple; use the appropriate version for your OS and Java installation (32 or 64-Bit). That being said, it can get confusing when running a 32-Bit JVM on a 64-Bit Operating System, or when multiple Java versions are installed.

Thus, I've decided to simplify things for the end-user; from now on, DBGL ships with both the 32 and 64-Bit SWT libraries. Depending on the Java version installed, the application will dynamically load the appropriate lib. This reduces complexity for the end-user (the amount of DBGL packages to choose from) and allows one to have different Java installations on the same machine without problems. The new packages in v0.69a are:

* Windows (containing 32+64-Bit SWT libs, official DOSBox)
* MacOSX (containing 32+64-Bit Cocoa + 32-Bit Carbon libs, official DOSBox)
* Linux32 (containing 32+64-Bit SWT libs, 32-bit version DOSBox)
* Linux64 (containing 32+64-Bit SWT libs, 64-bit version DOSBox)

The logic on whether to use Cocoa or Carbon is made on computer architecture; PowerPC machines use Carbon. I'm not sure if that is actually correct, so if anyone can enlighten me on this matter, please do. It works correctly on my own G4.

No other changes in this new build, except for a massive speedup on loading gamepackarchive information for archives containing many profiles.

All the latest files, to upgrade, grab the jar and remove the swt.jar from your lib directory, replacing it with the new SWT libs from the appropriate package for your OS.

I'm still working on improving the multi-edit screen, it's about half-way done.

Regards,
Ronald

Last edited by rcblanke on 2010-06-12, 15:42. Edited 1 time in total.