First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I says here (about half way down) -

http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486pci/m918i.htm

"if cache chips are soldered to board they are FAKE chips!"

My "new" 486 board just arrived, and unfortunately the cache chips (which look a bit plasticky) are soldered on to the board.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I mean, I am now the "proud" owner of the infamous PC Chips fake cache board. Perhaps it's a "bit of history", and I should be pleased with my purchase.

I'll fire it up later, and post some speedsys results.

Reply 1 of 12, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Speedsys score of 32 seems reasonable for an AMD DX4 100 (non enhanced), but Doom looks really choppy.

Attachments

• SSTIMG02.png
    Filename
    SSTIMG02.png
    File size
    10.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 12, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome to the happy and proud fake cache board owners club 😁

Was it the PCI/ISA or ISA/LVB board you got?

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 3 of 12, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:

Hehe! It was the PCI/ISA board. Interestingly, it's exactly the same board (and revision number: V1.2A) as pictured here -

Yet, my board doesn't have the socketed cache chips (as seen in the photo above), but instead it has "dubious plasticky looking" soldered on cache chips instead.

3D game performance seems notably poor. On a more positive note, the board accepts EDO RAM.

Reply 4 of 12, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
Hehe! It was the PCI/ISA board. Interestingly, it's exactly the same board (and revision number: V1.2A) as pictured here - […]
Show full quote
Amigaz wrote:

Hehe! It was the PCI/ISA board. Interestingly, it's exactly the same board (and revision number: V1.2A) as pictured here -

Yet, my board doesn't have the socketed cache chips (as seen in the photo above), but instead it has "dubious plasticky looking" soldered on cache chips instead.

3D game performance seems notably poor. On a more positive note, the board accepts EDO RAM.

aha...didn't know they made another PCI/ISA board
This must be made later than my PCI/ISA/VLB Pc Chips mobo...the one with the fake coaster cache slot and fake plastic cache chips onboard (lol)

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 6 of 12, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hehe, this board is so bad, it runs Wing Commander 1 at the right speed - with the AMD DX4-100 CPU in it! I disabled L1 cache in the BIOS. (No need to disable L2 cache. 😉 ) I also set the board's Turbo button to Off. Seriously, WC1 looks and plays correctly. Speedsys.exe gives me a score of 5.79, which is exactly on the 386DX-40 "marker line".

Other "benefits" this board offers: you can plug a CD-ROM drive in to the secondary IDE port. I'm not too sure how many 486 boards allow that. I was impressed.

IMHO, if it wasn't for the 'fraudulent' fake cache chips (on my specific V1.2A board), I think this would make a nice mobo.

Reply 7 of 12, by maxrate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Other "benefits" this board offers: you can plug a CD-ROM drive in to the secondary IDE port. I'm not too sure how many 486 boards allow that. I was impressed.

Been meaning to do this for a while, setting up a 486.. Today that dream is a reality with the M918i Motherboard... All parts from eBay/Amazon parts - tower case, keyboard, mouse, CRT monitor, 5.25", 3.5", CD-ROM/DVD Rom drive - all black matching "paint" sweet 😀

Reason for my writing; I am trying to add a DVD ROM on the IDE bus. Tried the Primary as Slave, tried Second as master/slave - no luck on two difference IDE DVD ROM drives.

The Bios/auto-detect doesn't see the CD/DVD ROM drive on the bus. Anyone have any tips? I've tried setting the Master/Slave jumpers. When I was 16 to 18 years old, I worked at a computer store, probably assembled a few hundred computers ISA/VLB/PCI 486 and Pentium. It's been so long, can't belive this simple task isn't yielding any good results.

I ordered a "CDROM" from Amazon, they sent me a DVD-ROM by Sony NEC Optiarc Inc (c) 2008. Only other drive I tried was a DVD-ROM CD-R drive by LG (c) 2005. Was looking for an older drive thinking that would help.

Any advice anyone? Any experience with this board and CD-ROM and or DVD-ROM drives? I sought out this motherboard because of this Vogons post. (performance wasn't everything for me - but the CD-ROM comment got my attention) Thank you!

Reply 8 of 12, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxrate wrote:

The Bios/auto-detect doesn't see the CD/DVD ROM drive on the bus.

On older BIOSes, it will often not get reported, but that doesn't mean it won't work when a proper DOS driver is loaded along with mscdex 😉 DVD drives work perfectly fine too. I myself use a LG dvdrw combo drive on my soyo 025d2 486/33 build as I didn't have anything older to use back then, when I built it 🤣 Doesn't get reported either, though oakcdrom.sys initializes it. They will work as long as the cable isn't bad and the master/slave setting doesn't bother other devices.

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 9 of 12, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think i found a PCChips Pentium board with fake cache as well

The board is a PCChips M507 (Intel 430FX)

Attachments

• 20161207_115959.jpg
    Filename
    20161207_115959.jpg
    File size
    2.07 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 10 of 12, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Carlos S. M. wrote:

Those chips aren't connected to anything. 😀 At least it has a COAST slot; unless it's one of those proprietary slots for which finding a matching module is harder than finding a snowflake in hell.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 11 of 12, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:
Carlos S. M. wrote:

Those chips aren't connected to anything. 😀 At least it has a COAST slot; unless it's one of those proprietary slots for which finding a matching module is harder than finding a snowflake in hell.

Is a COAST slot, i got that board for free a while ago with a Pentium 100 and a COAST stick attached

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 12 of 12, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Speaking of fake cache....Anyone want a $150 fake cache 486 motherboard?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Megatrends-A … OQAAOSw5cNYR3BR

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/