VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kimo Xvirus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I copy files in dosbox from a mounted drive to another, the last modified date changes to the current time, but I want it to stay the same as the original file just like copying files in windows, is there something to configure to do this ?

Also BTW can someone explain to me what # prebuffer in dosbox.conf means ?

Reply 1 of 3, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I don't think there is a option for DOSBox to keep the last-modified timestamp while copying. I don't know how real DOS handled this. If it kept the timestamp, then I would consider it a minor bug in DOSBox, a bug that is not likely to be fixed unless it somehow affect a game.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Real DOS will preserve the date/time stamp, but DOSBox's lack of support for it isn't really a bug, just something that isn't implemented. There may even be some rationale for it being a good thing that the stamps are changed.

ykhwong's build of DOSBox has support for altering file date/time stamps through INT 21/57, which is useful when using a program, but not when using DOSBox's built-in copy command. So, if you use an external copy program such as XCOPY or the 4DOS command shell, the INT 21/57 support allows the stamps to be preserved when copying. The same also applies to archive programs (PKZIP, LHARC, etc.) which preserve the stamps of files extracted from archives. I'm sure it works on the Windows build, but not sure about the Linux build. http://ykhwong.x-y.net/cvs/frame.html