VOGONS

Common searches

Complete Noob Needs Help

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by darkhawk30

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, there sure isn't. This is one perplexing game to try to get rolling.

The only thing I know works (having played it back in the mid-90's) is Windows 95 or Windows 3.11 and MS-DOS 6.22.

Reply 21 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Originally posted by darkhawk30 Microsoft Windows 3.1 or higher Dos 6.2 or higher Ok, there is only 1 setup.exe file present, n […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by darkhawk30 Microsoft Windows 3.1 or higher
Dos 6.2 or higher

Ok, there is only 1 setup.exe file present, not 2. Back in the day when I ran this game, I did have Windows 95 installed onto my computer.

Then I go back to my theory that the executable is a type of hybrid. Windows 3.1 as a minimum seems to bolster that. These programs that ran on Windows 3.1 and 95 usually were simply Windows 3.1 programs that worked on 95 (little or no 95 code).

Does Windows XP compatibility mode contain some sort of DOS functionality?

Not really. There is no DOS in XP, there is a type of emulation when using a command prompt (the NTVDM), but that's not DOS.

Should I make one partition NTFS and the other a FAT16 and dedicate the FAT16 one to old, old games?

I have to yet to find a DOS program (game) that won't install/run on a FAT32 partition, so FAT32 should be used to avoid wasting drive space (due to "slack").

A greater concern is the size of the partition. Many game installers "freak out" if the partition is larger than they expect.
2 Gigs seems to be compatible with the vast majority of titles out there (although I recently found the 1st "Eagle Eye Mysteries", which refused to install on any partition larger than 540Megs).

I noticed when I did a ctrl-alt-dlt that it gave me a error message about a GPF with midiget.dll. Not sure what that's all about. The plot thickens... 🤣

If I were to hazard a wild guess, I'd say that it was trying use the pick as a "MIDI-IN" device and the device driver crashed.

Well upon further thought, I've come to the conclusion that I'm gonna have to install a second OS onto my system (Windows 95 most likely) and also MS-Dos 6.22

You shouldn't need both. Effectively, Win95 is using DOS 7. Hrmm. Can't recall any titles that require DOS6 or less. Even if there, it's likely that DosBox would handle them.

The only thing I know works (having played it back in the mid-90's) is Windows 95 or Windows 3.11 and MS-DOS 6.22.

Couple of things to be wary of...

1) It might have problems in general with modern hardware IE: It might not work on processors beyond a certain speed...

2) It might not work anymore...at all. Yeah I know, electronic items (unless abused or used constantly...) shouldn't just break, but never forget the "murphy" factor.

Reply 22 of 26, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR What a weird thing. A DOS game that required Windows to be installed.

In a real sense, this what Windows 3 programs always were: DOS programs coded to use the Windows GUI interface.

Reply 25 of 26, by bigtom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some research and progress in installing quest for fame under dosbox:
Until Dosbox 0.70 I was not able to install the game under DOSBox, because it reported, that it requires MS Dos 6.22 or higher. From DOSBox 0.70, I am able to set reported version number using the new ver command (ver set 7.0), and now it continues the install.
This game also requires a special device called VPick, a virtual pickup connected to LPT1, and install stops if recognises VPick is not present. I have installed porttalk, the dll package and modified dosbox.exe from page of h-a-l-9000 over the dosbox.exe from the version 0.70. Now the VPick test reports VPick is accessible on lpt1, and install gets completed. I was able to install and even start Quest for fame under dosbox.
Unfortunatelly, VPick does not operate in the game. I have found out, it requires the usage of interrupt, that the patch of h-a-l-9000 does not support.
Does anybody have any idea of how to operate lpt1 with interrupt, or to support VPick in Quest For Fame somehow?
Thank you

Reply 26 of 26, by magick29

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was able to install Quest for Fame on my XP machine using Virtual PC 2004 and running a Win95 install on it. You do have to make sure that Virtual PC captures the port where the V-Pick or Virtual Guitar is plugged in, otherwise the game wont see it. There is still a little lag from the guitar, and I am not sure if it is due to using Virtual PC, or if it is a setting on the port where the pick is plugged in. I am still testing, but I was able to get the program up and running under XP.