VOGONS

Common searches

Win95 + DosBox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well tried it out again just for kicks using ykhwong's 8/31/2005 build.

Core=Normal

1. Had to set fresize to a larger value than default otherwise setup complains about not enough freespace.

2. Ran setup with these switches /im /id /is /iq /in

3. Windows 95 installed fine until the end where I got an "Error SU992010" right after it copied all of the files to the HD and was about to restart.

4. Had to run DOSVER utlity to trick Win.com because it didn't like the ver of Dos reported by DosBox.

4. When I ran Win.com it seemed to try to run Smartdrv and hang on it...so I simply renamed smartdrv so it wouldn't run it. Kinda weird Win95 running smartdrv before executing Windows.....I doubt Windows would use Smartdrv once it was running?

5. Ran Win.com and Received "Error Illegal:0x33 Call 7" and then DosBox quits.

It's pretty amazing that DosBox even got this far.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2005-08-31, 15:33. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I decided to create the "every couple of months try Win95 in the CVS" thread before someone else did. 😉

Damn, that's a good title...shoulda used that.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 25, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

Someday it will, when Win95 games no longer run at all on whatever OS everyone is using...

That would be grand 😀 There are a few Windows 95/98 games that won't run on 2000/XP. But granted, not many comes to mind 😜

I wonder, I've seen a lot of comments here about QEMU here. Does it run Windows 95/98 well, so one can try old 2D games there, like Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain? I guess I shouldn't be so lazy and check it out myself, eh? 😁 Maybe I check it out this weekend.

Reply 11 of 25, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's why I keep a Pentium 200 machine on my KVM. I occasionally load up Outlaws or Interstate 76 on it. It's nice with it's dual VooDoo 2's. 😁

Lately I have been playing with QEMU. It works very nicecly in the latest versions. Though, I doubt they will be adding emulation for VooDoo cards anytime soon (and how slow would that be, yikes). Their sound support just isn't as good as DOSbox either.

Someday PC emulators will be advanced enough, and we will have enough CPU horsepower to emulate all this stuff. I see a day where you just configure your PC emu with whatever hardware you want. Emulate VooDoo2 SLI, no problem. Heh. Maybe in 5 years.

Reply 12 of 25, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gulikoza has already been experimenting with connecting a Glide wrapper with DOSBox to play DOS-based Glide games. It's not 100% true emulation of the way the game should look on a real 3dfx card that way, but it probably can look even better than the real thing due to higher resolutions and anti-aliasing and whatnot that weren't available/practical at the time.

Reply 13 of 25, by Sonja

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have started Win95 OSR2 Version in DOSBox 0.70 (not a CVS Version)

If i start Win in safty Mode, i have only the Problem, i can't shutdown or restart Windows.

If i run in normal Mode, EMM386 reports an Error with the Base Adress, so there is no Expansion Memory available, than Windows reports an XMS Cache Error on Startup, some Registry Informations will not be available.

But i'm missing the Win95 Blue-Screens, seen not anyone in DOSBox 😁

Attachments

• Win95B.png
    Filename
    Win95B.png
    File size
    23.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

I want my MTV? No! I want my DOSBox!

Reply 15 of 25, by Sonja

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the Tip with the EMM386 Parameter, it helps.
The Cache Error on Startup remains, but its okay, i only want check whether Win95 can start in DOSBox.

DOSBox had only crashed when i shutdown Windows, but there is a Solution, do not shut down, use the "Start Computer in MS-DOS Mode" Option (Don't know correctly in English) than Windows shuts down und i can close DOSBox.
Or disable the Power Management in Windows und you can shut down.

One thing i have forgotten: At every start Windows will run Scandisk, but it found no Errors, so i replaced it with a Do-Nothing exe File 😁

Reply 16 of 25, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you do the installation using another emulator such as QEmu or VMWare then you should be able to run Windows 95 inside DOSBox

[EDIT]

I just tried the old configuration and image file with DOSBox 0.71

boot003ff1.th.png

Space Cadet is still playable

Sonja wrote:

DOSBox had only crashed when i shutdown Windows [...]

I experience the same problem. I didn't try your solution but I'm sure that should work

[EDIT]

The version I'm talking about is OSR1

Reply 17 of 25, by Sonja

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now i installed the Win95 Update (non OSR2 Version) in DOSBox 0.70/0.71.

Installed and runs without Problems.
The XMS Cache Error is only in the OSR2 Version.