VOGONS

Redbook Audio Ripping?

Topic actions

First post, by dosmuffin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wasn't sure where to post this but here it is. What software do you guys recommend for making an audio CD .bin/.cue image? I've started to make self-contained versions of my DOSBox games, complete with cd audio by doing:

[autoexec]
imgmount d "game\cda\image.cue" -t iso

Reply 1 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A similar question popped up recently.

I can't find the thread but Alcohol and Clone CD have been mentioned.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 25, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've tried to make a iso/cue pair ogg cd tracks for dosbox to have compactive, CD audio heavy games but I never got it to work myself. 😒

If only there was an automatic way of handling this!

Reply 5 of 25, by dosmuffin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alcohol and CloneCD didn't work. cdparanoia doesn't appear to be for Windows. I ripped the tracks to my computer using Windows Media Player. I create an audio bin/cue pair with MagicISO but there wasn't an option customize the audio CD's properties. I wish there was a program that could rip just the redbook audio to cue/bin.

At the very least, a program that allows to me to edit the disc information and preserve track tags would be just as good.

Last edited by dosmuffin on 2011-05-04, 14:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you don't want the data you could probably use UltraISO to edit the .BIN and delete it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 25, by dosmuffin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've downloaded just the redbook audio cue/bin images for games before with the album and track info still intact. When I saved the audio track portion to cue/bin with UltraISO, it didn't preserve the album info or track tags...

Reply 8 of 25, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For my installers I use CDR-Tools. It requires cygwin1.dll for the Windows port. I use mkisofs to make an ISO and cdda2wav to rip the audio tracks. There are a number of tools you can use to compress the WAV files to OGG. I have used IsoBuster to generate a CUE file, but I have always had to manually edit it to get it to work right in DOSBox.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 25, by dosmuffin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the info, collector. I decided that ogg would be better, as it's much more space efficient without a sacrifice in quality. I followed this guide on making cue sheets for DOSBox but DOSBox kept saying my cue was invalid. I converted all the tracks to .ogg (starting at 02 of course), put all the oggs on an .iso, then made a cue sheet so it looked like this:

FILE "BLOOD121.iso" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2048
INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "track02.ogg" MP3
TRACK 02 AUDIO
PREGAP 00:02:00
FILE "track03.ogg" MP3
TRACK 03 AUDIO
FILE "track04.ogg" MP3
TRACK 04 AUDIO
FILE "track05.ogg" MP3
TRACK 05 AUDIO
FILE "track06.ogg" MP3
TRACK 06 AUDIO
FILE "track07.ogg" MP3
TRACK 07 AUDIO
FILE "track08.ogg" MP3
TRACK 08 AUDIO
FILE "track09.ogg" MP3
TRACK 09 AUDIO

I even tried making a data CD and saving it in cue/bin and editing my cue sheet according, but it still wouldn't work... Any thoughts?

Reply 11 of 25, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The track 1 .iso and audio track .ogg are just files that should be readable by the *host*, which they won't be if you put them in an iso and mount that with IMGMOUNT in DOSBox.

Also, are you using official 0.74? A properly configured SDL_sound library is needed to get compressed audio file cuesheets to work in DOSBox, and SDL_sound is an optional component when building.

Reply 12 of 25, by dosmuffin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ripsaw to the rescue! I'm completely lost now. I understand how mixed mode CDs work as well as the function of cue sheets, but I can't wrap my mind around how to create an ogg CD image for DOSBox. I'm using a prebuilt 0.74 Win32 release downloaded from the DOSBox website.

Reply 13 of 25, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Make a folder, put the .cue, .iso, and .ogg files in it, imgmount the .cue in DOSBox. Your cuesheet looks okay compared to ones I have made before. I suppose it could all be in an .iso instead of on your HD, but then you'll have to mount that .iso in Daemon Tools or Alcohol.

Reply 14 of 25, by dosmuffin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

rip saves the day again! I managed to get the CD tracks playing in DOSBox. I didn't know I actually had to have the ogg tracks in the folder. I was under the impression that the game would read the ogg tracks off the iso, not off the HDD. That being said, I created another iso, but didn't put any data on it. So I had my cue sheet pointing to the blank dummy iso. Is that how it's supposed to be done?

Reply 15 of 25, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

In addition to the .cue file, you should have an .iso that contains track 1 (the data track), and several .ogg files representing the audio tracks. In the case of OUWB 1.21, the track 1 .iso should be ~345MB.

Reply 17 of 25, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have also used a blank ISO with the OGGs for games that don't need data off of the CD for game play, just the audio tracks.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 18 of 25, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You can get away with an empty .iso if the game doesn't need to read anything off the CD, and it doesn't expect the audio tracks at specific time offsets. With audio files, the start times of the audio tracks are controlled by the size of the data track. An empty .iso will not work with games that care about accurate time offsets. However, compressed audio files can also lead to inaccurate track times, causing problems in sensitive games.

Reply 19 of 25, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If DosBox won't play ball with cuesheets containing compressed audio, you could mount the cuesheet in something like Daemon Tools and point Dosbox at it, as if it were a real CD drive.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread