VOGONS

First post, by Nekto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ultrasound PnP (UPNP) have hardware compatibility with Ultrasound Classic, but it's not 100% due to fact that UPNP does not support IRQs < 10. Some games require IRQ < 10, so if such games have Ultrasound support - it will not work with UPNP (some of them may be fixed and so get working with "pregame" and other patches).

How much games and what their names are that support Ultrasound Classic, but require low IRQ and have no patches for UPNP compatibility and can not be patched with "prepgame"?

Plus it's interesting for me, from wich revision of UPNP there is no static noise issue in background, if someone here knows this?

Reply 1 of 4, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Absolutely wrong. PnP DOES support IRQ below 10, always. Check your system.
About games which require low IRQ (Duke Nukem 3D in example), for GUS PnP i use separate BATH files for GUS initializations with LOW and HIGH IRQ.
Place in your C:\ULTRASND (or where you store GUS PnP drivers):

7.bat

SET ULTRASND=240,5,6,7*,7
C:\ULTRASND\IWINIT.EXE

11.bat

SET ULTRASND=240,5,6,11*,7
C:\ULTRASND\IWINIT.EXE

* - is your card's main IRQ, all other variables is your own.

And that's it. You can reinitialize card with needed IRQ on the fly without reboot even in DOS BOX under Win9.x

Reply 2 of 4, by Nekto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aleksej wrote:

PnP DOES support IRQ below 10

Good news, thanks. But this page have other opinion:
http://www.csoon.com/issue13/ultrapnp.htm
so, I need additional sources to check. Maybe it depends on card's revision or drivers version.

Reply 3 of 4, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sure if low IRQ problem is really exist then it related only to drivers not to card himself. This issue has been written right after card hit the market and describe installation process with initial driver version. I happily use both low (7) and high (11) IRQ atleast with two GUS PnP revisions - 1.0 and Pro 3.0. Even more, in the same time AWE32, SCC-1 and Live! soundcards was lying too, in total - 4 soundcards in one system.

Last edited by aleksej on 2010-02-26, 15:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 4, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

- You can configure GUS PnP also on low IRQs
- prepgame patches DOS4GW automatically...
So there is no high IRQ problem 😀

And EWS64XL+SCB-55, AWE32 and GUS can work also fine in the same system, though I kicked the AWE32 due to redundancy 😉