VOGONS

First post, by Riboflavin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Formerly I used a Roland SCC-1 and Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold. I love both those cards, so I'm trying to get the best of both of those worlds with one slot. Due to the incredible rarity of the Rolad SCB-55, I had to settle for a Yamaha DB50, but I don't know what model of sound blaster would be best with this. I could use some advice from the experts here....

So for the Yamaha DB50, am I better off going with a Sound Blaster 16 with a Wave Blaster header, or should I track down one of the zillion AWE32 variants with a Wave Blaster?

I like the functionality of the AWE, even though only a few games use it, and I've heard the AWE Sound Blasters are cleaner sounding. Also, anyone notice any major differences between using a standalone Roland Midi card versus a Daughterboard? Will more of my games still work without rerunning the sound setup? Just wondering what I'm in for Any advice appreciated.

**Don't forget to enjoy the sauce**

Reply 1 of 3, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can not speak out of personal experience, never used SB16's or Awe32's. But reading through these forums I have no high expectations of daughterboard-SB16's combinations. Read this topic Keep DBs off (most) SB16s!!.
I can recommend crystal(=cirrus logic) chipset cards: good quality and compatibility.

Reply 2 of 3, by Riboflavin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the tip gerwin. I had no idea Sound Blaster's own Wave Blaster support was so bad. Didn't they invent the whole idea? Sheesh. The low quality level of the majority of Creative's products truly baffles me sometime, especially for standard-setters. It seems nearly all of their products have a serious achellies heel.

Now Roland- they have some class. And too bad about Gravis, they tried really hard.

So I'll look into Crystal cards. Maybe there's something to that. I've also had some good luck with ESS chipsets on a laptop. I remember the Sound Blaster compatibility on them to be pretty good. I'll try both these cards with the Yamaha daughterboard.

But that thread brought something up... a PCI card with a MIDI daughtercard in DOS? Really? A monster SOund no less, something that was once openly and proudly NOT fully backwards compatible with DOS. Hmmm. I found a Diamond Monster sound card (complete with daughter card- 'monster MIDI') at a computer rummage store and picked it up a year or so ago. Maybe worth a try I guess.

**Don't forget to enjoy the sauce**

Reply 3 of 3, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Riboflavin wrote:

But that thread brought something up... a PCI card with a MIDI daughtercard in DOS? Really? A monster SOund no less, something that was once openly and proudly NOT fully backwards compatible with DOS. Hmmm. I found a Diamond Monster sound card (complete with daughter card- 'monster MIDI') at a computer rummage store and picked it up a year or so ago. Maybe worth a try I guess.

IIRC Aureal-based PCI cards are perfectly compatible with SB Pro.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.